• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which upper receiver for a precision build?

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
I’m thinking about putting together a precision upper for my AR in .223, and I’m wondering which upper receiver is the better choice for the build. Right now I’m looking at the Vltor upper and the Seekins IRMT-3 upper. Is there a consensus on which is better for a precision application? I like the handguard that goes with the Seekins upper, so that’s the direction that I’m leaning. With the flat-bottom profile of the Seekins handguard I can likely mount an Acra rail, which is something I’m interested in at a later date.

Any opinions on the subject are appreciated.

Lou

Reactions: natdscott

I already have the barrel. It’s a RA match .223 Wylde 18” barrel that I bought 3-4 years ago and never used. I got heavily into bolt rifles shortly after that and am just now again getting interested in accurate ARs. So, I just need an upper receiver, handguard, gas block and tube. I have a decent lower with a good trigger that I can use with it. Hence the question. My goals are are shooting steel (mostly prone) out to 600, and I’d like to hunt coyotes next winter. That’s the reason why I’m interested in doing an Acra rail and tripod set-up. PRS isn’t in the plans, although I’ll do some of that style of shooting with family and friends for the fun of it.

Lou

Reactions: JS8588
I’m a Mega fanboy, but can’t seem to find them much anymore. I’m trying the Aero enhanced for my next build, although seekins looks to make a beefy upper as well with a modified receiver to hand guard union.

I too would like to hear other options for my next-next build ?

In the event you decide to go with a different rail, the VLTOR will allow you to switch. I like the idea behind monolithic uppers and all but you're locked into what ever those parts are. I have a VLTOR with Geissele Mk8 that's nice and solid.

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree that being locked into one handguard sucks. I’m surprised to not have gotten a single recommendation on the Seekins as they market their upper as being super rigid at the handguard mounting point which lessens forces in the barrel nut when loading a bipod. Theoretically, this should allow for slightly more precision.

I’ll take another look at the Vltor MUR.

Lou

No experience with the San Tan Tactical STT-15 upper but it's in a similar vein to the VLTOR. I'm also heavily considering a JP CTR-02 for a possible next build.

Reactions: Money Waster
No experience with the San Tan Tactical STT-15 upper but it's in a similar vein to the VLTOR. I'm also heavily considering a JP CTR-02 for a possible next build.

Whisper35,

I’ll take a look at the JP as well. That wasn’t on my radar.

Lou

Reactions: RTH1800
Rainier Arms Ultramatch Billet Upper is worth a look. I used one on a .223 Wylde 20" Bartlein build last year and it's very solid. Mates up very nice to an Aero M4E1 lower as well.

I’m thinking about putting together a precision upper for my AR in .223, and I’m wondering which upper receiver is the better choice for the build. Right now I’m looking at the Vltor upper and the Seekins IRMT-3 upper. Is there a consensus on which is better for a precision application? I like the handguard that goes with the Seekins upper, so that’s the direction that I’m leaning. With the flat-bottom profile of the Seekins handguard I can likely mount an Acra rail, which is something I’m interested in at a later date.

Any opinions on the subject are appreciated.

Lou
Really, the one that fits your lower snugly without any help. Billet, only dozens of choices.