• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which upper to use for an AR build?

supernt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
VA & SoCal
What would your recommendations be for a high end AR build? I was thinking VLTOR MUR or LaRue.

Thanks

Re: Which upper to use for an AR build?

VLTOR VIS, or a LMT MRP, but the MRP barrels are proprietory to LMT.

vltor mur are still hard to find

i would go larue

Thanks for the replies. I am not interested in a monolithic rail upper, which is why I was looking at the MUR instead of the VIS.

Availability is not a huge concern, I just want to get the best one.

is it possible to purchase a stripped upper from JP? I went to their site and only saw complete uppers and rifles.

Anything in spec. True the big hole where the tube bolts on.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything in spec. True the big hole where the tube bolts on.

Good luck </div></div>

With a sledge hammer and cold chisel.............right?

It depends on what you expect out of the upper. Are we going long, short/ What kind of accuracy are you looking for? What will you put on for optics? The upper is really meaningless in my opinion, it's the barrel that counts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on what you expect out of the upper. Are we going long, short/ What kind of accuracy are you looking for? What will you put on for optics? The upper is really meaningless in my opinion, it's the barrel that counts. </div></div>

I am sorry the upper is meaningless in your opinion.

To answer your question, I am using an 18" stainless, fluted medium weight barrel with a mid-length gas system. Sabre Defence is the manufacturer of the barrel.

Of course I am looking for a very high level of accuracy, which is why I am looking for a high end stripped upper to complete my assembly. I do not want the upper receiver to be the weak link.

However, I guess you should not be replying to my question if the upper receiver is meaningless to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supernt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on what you expect out of the upper. Are we going long, short/ What kind of accuracy are you looking for? What will you put on for optics? The upper is really meaningless in my opinion, it's the barrel that counts. </div></div>

I am sorry the upper is meaningless in your opinion.

To answer your question, I am using an 18" stainless, fluted medium weight barrel with a mid-length gas system. Sabre Defence is the manufacturer of the barrel.

Of course I am looking for a very high level of accuracy, which is why I am looking for a high end stripped upper to complete my assembly. I do not want the upper receiver to be the weak link.

However, I guess you should not be replying to my question if the upper receiver is meaningless to you. </div></div>

I see. In that case, I think you should get a purple one. I hear they are very accurate.

All kidding aside, the upper receiver itself contributes very little to the accuracy of an AR-15. The design of the rifle is such that the barrel and the barrel extension coupled with the bolt and its carrier all do the work; the upper itself just holds the pieces together and is under very little stress, which is why it is made of aluminum. Any decent upper will do a great job for you. You should be researching free float handguards and other parts instead of chasing the "best upper." The Sabre barrel is probably decent enough to do something with it. Spend your time and money on what matters.

But then again, it's your time and money to use as you see fit.

Sig,

Thanks for the input. I am using a Young's Manufacturing BCG. That is what I have used with good success in my other AR's.

I have used both LaRue and the DD lite rail for free-float guards. The VTAC from JP has me intrigued at the moment.

Do you have a recommendation?

Daniel Defense is good stuuf as is LaRue. I have been intrigued by the Badger Ordnance offerings, the Stabilizer handguards. There are many fine free-float handguards to chose from, but again I go back to my question; what are you going to do with the rifle? An 18 inch .223 is not conducive for long range accuracy but makes for a fine rifle inside of say 500 yards.

Do you plan to shoot this rifle from a bipod, from a bag, off-hand? Are you intending on hanging a lot of accessories on the handguard? If you do, you will need lots of Picatinny real estate, DD and Larue will work fine.

I totally dislike handguards with rails all around, which is why the Badger caught my attention. Right now, my match AR has an ArmaLite free float tube, very simple and it works great for me.

Sig,

I will be mostly shooting inside of 400 yards.

I feel the same way about rails, which is why I like the JP VTAC rail. I had forgotten about the badger rail which looks very nice as well.

On my rifles with rails all the way around, I have tried several different configurations of rail covers to make them feel proper.

The only thing going on a rail will be a NF 2.5-10X32. This will be in a LaRue mount so I really have no need for any other rails.

The lower is an LMT with 2 stage trigger and their sopmod stock which has an excellent cheek weld.

I will recommend the SunDevil stripped upper receiver. It is carved out of billet aluminum, is well machined and finished. The receiver is hexagonal in cross section and is more robust than many. Lastly, at least one reputable source has found that the face of the threaded barrel section on the SunDevils are more square with the bolt bore than some receivers, thereby better aligning the bolt and barrel (not cocked in relation to one another).

You may find SunDevil at www.rainierarms.com. They go in and out of stock. $175.

See:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=587

- Phil

+1

SunDevil makes some great stuff. I've got a rifle built around their lower and I couldn't be happier with it. Very nice machining and has proven to be very durable. I'd say the same goes for their upper, too.