• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which way from here

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    I've been fortunate to have fairly easy workups for all my rifles... Except this one.

LMT MRP
    Noveske 1/8 SPR rlgs 3 groove
    Socom 762rc suppressor
    Vudu 5-25
    I've had hell finding something consistent from one day to the next. 2 groups within a group a lot. I think maybe I'm finally on to something with seating a little deeper and using a Lee fcd.

I have a buttload of TAC and 77gr noslers and I just want something consistently moa or better that I can crank out on a progressive. Super 1050 setup for prep and loading on a Hornady lnl.

These were all prepped and loaded how I plan to mass produce with the exception that I hand weighed the charges.

Top target is yesterday. Thought I should try 24.1 and a step lower and 2 higher just to see what happens. 2 slight swipes at 25gr but it's 50F here today and summertime is in the 90s usually so I'm not sure.

I'm thinking about running about 20ea at 24 and 24.7 or 8, dropping powder with the measure and see what they do again at 100 and then 5-600.

Group size, avg fps and sd on left, charge on top, individual shot velocities on right.

Attachments

• 64778648-872B-4F8B-AA98-BE5D39CC5922.jpeg
      64778648-872B-4F8B-AA98-BE5D39CC5922.jpeg
      299.1 KB · Views: 27
    The center of 24.4 and 24.6 is pretty close together. I would try to tune with seating depth and see if you can tighten that up.

The flyer in 24.2 might be you but maybe not - you had a good group and good stdev with that one wanderer. I note that four of those shots had very close velocity (within 9 fps) and one (2696) that was out of the pattern. Think powder charge or seating depth. If that low shot was the high velocity, that could be a hint.

24.6 is a pretty nice group but the stdev suggests that it will show vertical as the range increases. If you didn't have that one low shot that would have been a winner. This is another case where you had four velocities in a 15 fps range and one that is out of the pattern.

24.8 has good stdev and group size but the group looks strange - two pairs and a loner. 24.6 and 24.8 are the only pair of good groups - that looks like a node. This group had a velocity spread of about 18 fps - pretty nice. I would dig into this

If you haven't done it yet, you might check each thrown charge. One explanation for the large stdevs is that the powder charges are not consistent. You might make sure that isn't the case. Like Kaskin said, if you can confirm those groups, play with seating depth.

I use 77 gr sierras in a 16-inch 1:7 with a thrifty scope and no tuning and it whacks the center of a 12-inch plate at 300 yards every time. Here is a Q&D analysis.

Way from here.jpg

Last edited: