• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which will it be?? Insight?

Rooster-R700

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2013
Ok folks.... I’ve been thinking for a while and I’m really stuck between 2 options. Option #1- Ruger Hawkeye long range target in 300wm
Option #2- Remington 700 long range in 300wm

before I start asking questions and getting feed back, the purpose of these choices is banging steel, etc., at long ranges. I’m talking 1500+ yards. Why the 300wm? Because I like it. That’s the bottom line. The Remington family of firearms has always been a favorite to me. I love the simplicity and options. I do not like the research I have conducted as far as QC goes. I suppose Remington has kinda let things slip for a bit. However... they’re limitless to customizations. And with some cash and elbow grease I can get a real tack driver out of one. I have already pick out my options as far as stock, scopes, and other accessories. Now the Ruger.... seems to be to good to be true. A Mauser style action, r5 heavy barrel with a muzzle break, and rail right out of the box? Damn...you’d think my mind is already made...but... I still obsess over the remmy. I don’t know why. My last 700 was a SPS varmint in 308, with a BC medalist A2, swfa 3x15-44. That dude was sub MOA all day out to 1000yrds. So the big question is...should I go Remington and eventually customize it to suite exactly what I want, or do I go with Ruger and train myself to it since it’s a precision rifle out the box? Lemme know what y’all think. And please... try not to beat me up too much.

Can't go wrong with the R700. I just picked up another 308 5r that I can't wait to break in. Purchased it as I have plenty of 7.62, but would like to eventually add same in 300WM to extend range.

I think there are some barrel nut options for the ruger now from mcgowen etc but if you do your own stuff then the Remington will be easier and much more vast in options. Ruger basically has a timney trigger and that’s it. Not a whole lot of play things to swap.

That said, I love my ruger 3006
40EC46AA-C54C-46F3-BFC4-C323A876417A.jpeg

I think there are some barrel nut options for the ruger now from mcgowen etc but if you do your own stuff then the Remington will be easier and much more vast in options. Ruger basically has a timney trigger and that’s it. Not a whole lot of play things to swap.

View attachment 7280233
Dang man, throw em a meal before you whack em, lol.

View attachment 7280233
Aw
Lil puppy taking a nap by your rifle!

7F048697-49FD-4957-8CD1-F3CB7D416366.gif

I’d probably go Remington only because of possible future expansion.

Reactions: spife7980
There is no denying that the Rem 700 and clones have the whole world open to them for upgrade options and accessories. That being said, if you like the Ruger and the way it looks/feels coming out of the box you are saving yourself some $$$ albeit you are locked in to what you have.

I've come to consider the custom actions an overall savings compared to a factory rifle and here is why:
-No need to true/upgrade action
-Prefit barrels
-trigger options
-stock/chassis options
Every time I end with a Remy it ends up in the upgrade column and I would have saved time and money just building it the way I wanted from the ground up.

My $.02

The Ruger seems to have good reviews. Haven't owned one, but have owned a Rem 700 SPS varmint, and it was okay.

I personally think there are better products out there now. If I were you, I would add Bergara HMR and Howa 1500 variants to your list. Avaliable in the caliber and similar configuration that you want.

It's 2020, and that Rem700 model doesn't even have the most basic and what I would consider necessary ergonomics. Adjustable cheek height, and adjustable LOP.

Reactions: 6brshooter
If the Ruger came in 300PRC, I’d own one already.
110% agreed. After I created this thread I really started looking into a 300 prc build. The only downfall is I’m a cop...i have a wife, 6 kids and 4 pain in the ass huskys. Therefor I don’t really make much money, and I cannot see myself spending a grand on just the action. I’d love to get a nucleus, Bartlein barrel and slap it on a nice chassis and smile from ear to ear, but that’s a short lived fantasy. To be honest I want the prc over the winmag but I don’t even know where to begin.

110% agreed. After I created this thread I really started looking into a 300 prc build. The only downfall is I’m a cop...i have a wife, 6 kids and 4 pain in the ass huskys. Therefor I don’t really make much money, and I cannot see myself spending a grand on just the action. I’d love to get a nucleus, Bartlein barrel and slap it on a nice chassis and smile from ear to ear, but that’s a short lived fantasy. To be honest I want the prc over the winmag but I don’t even know where to begin.

6.5prc will do alot and is easier/cheaper to build. I know it's not as capable as a 300prc, but since it can be used in short actions, gives you more options in finding a used chassis. Origin sa mag bolt 775.00, 375.00 shilen prefit, and chassis of choice would be fairly cheap for a custom.

The Ruger seems to have good reviews. Haven't owned one, but have owned a Rem 700 SPS varmint, and it was okay.

I personally think there are better products out there now. If I were you, I would add Bergara HMR and Howa 1500 variants to your list. Avaliable in the caliber and similar configuration that you want.

It's 2020, and that Rem700 model doesn't even have the most basic and what I would consider necessary ergonomics. Adjustable cheek height, and adjustable LOP.
Alright... I’ve been up all night and day looking into the Bergara B-14 hmr in 300prc. I wasn’t aware that Bergara was basically a remmy clone rifle. So bases, stocks, triggers and chassis are interchangeable. I think I may just give this one a chance, plus it’ll give me a couple extra bucks for glass.

Reactions: Harman117
I see lots of 300 prc threads on here- so it must be gaining some ground. It doesn't really interest me so I haven't taken the time to read them- maybe it is everything it is marketed to be. However the two that I have been around (very small sample- I know) have not shown any improvement in accuracy or velocity over 300wm. These were very comparable builds in barrel length etc... and the 300wm actually had better velocity with heavy bullets. It also had the advantage of better brass though.

I have the Ruger Hawkeye LRT in 6.5 PRC- and it is a nice gun. I wish it was built on a long action so I wasn't limited on coal- . Mine seems to have a slow barrel because I have a hard time getting velocities up to what others say they are without pressure.

I also had a Rem 700 LR in 300wm. It was very accurate- but did not come with a threaded barrel like the ruger does. The B&C stock fit me very well, the trigger obviously sucked, and mine had extraction issues with some brands of brass. If I torqued the action screws to what they recommended it would bind my bottom metal to where it would not open- or if it was open it would not shut. From the factory they had put little "rubberish" spacers between the stock and bottom metal. I wasn't happy with it and sold it- but with all of the issues it still shot .5 to .75 groups.