• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which would you carry: S&W M&P 40 or XDM 40? Why

Babo

Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Austin, TX
I've decided on carrying a S&W 40 caliber and am trying to decide between the Smith & Wesson M&P 40 or the Springfield XDm 40. They both have features I like as well as dislike and shoot about the same. What are your thoughts? Don't like the B(g)lock so it's not part of this discussion.

Re: Which would you carry: S&W M&P 40 or XDM 40? Why

Neither. Both are too big to carry comfortably.

The 1911 is the only full size gun that I'll carry, and even that is infrequent. You don't "need" a super compact gun, but at least "compact" like the G19 size would be preferable.

I have a IWB holster and carry the compact M&P in a 40 all year long with no problems what so ever. The size of it is damn near the same as a glock 27.

I fell the gun size depends on the size of the person carring it. I can carry cmofortably a glock 20, full size 1911, 5906 S&W, 357 j-frame m-60 S&W, Ruger lcp, all of which I own or have owned. I like the XDM 40 I have shot it and it shot to POA natually in my hand the very first time I pack one up. This made me really like it. That being said I have not shot the 40 M&P and I do like S&W just havn't got my hands on one.

Babo, before deciding, try and shoot them both as much as possible. I'm lucky to have shooting friends willing to lend me a pistol I think I might like or while mine is in the shop (can you tell I have only one? Not a bad idea.). shooting them both giving them equal opportunity, you may know the answer after 200rds; it will be the one you shoot the best meaning that one is most comfortable or natural to your body and your shooting.
I've competed with both. Each fits my hand superbly(I'm 5'10" 185). If you're especially interested in an American piece, I believe the S&W is made here, but I know the XD is Croatian made.
Consider accesories availability too such as holsters, sights, mags., etc.
If you still can't decide, flip a coin and then try and wear it out shooting it.

Casey,
Thanks for the feedback.

I've shot the M&P 40 a little(80-100 rounds) but not the XDm; that is on my list. We're the same height but I've got more than a few pounds on you. I'm not crazy about the M&P trigger design but love the way it fits my hand. I don't want mag or thumb safeties either. Also I'm trying to iron out the differences between the two in condition 1; as it applies to striker autos.

Both the M&P compact and the XD compact are great concealed carry pistols. I carry either of them often. I went with stainless on the XD,(the M&P is already stainless with a melanite finish) to better resist the sweat that comes in waves this time of year here.

I feel they are both very good values and are accurate, potent and contain a comforting quantity of rounds in their magazines; 10 in the S&W and 9 in the XD. I understand the XDm has greater mag capacity but can not say with certainty.

Good luck choosing, but you can't go wrong wither way!

I have an older Springfield XD and had 2 MPs at different times. I can just shoot the XD better and think it has a better trigger set up. The MP felt great in the hand but I couldn't shoot as well with it, I even went back and bought one a few years later with the same result.

I'd definitely see about shooting each before buying one.

Thanks for everyone's input. I definitely plan on shooting both of them a few hundred rounds before deciding.

Right now I'm working on determining the exact operation and sequencing for the various safeties.

The M&P does not have much documented on line.

I know on the XDm the trigger does no cocking of the striker while the M&P does about 1/3 of the cocking.

Both of the trigger safeties work the same.

The XDm has an internal safety that blocks the firing pin channel but I don't know if the M&P does.

Just trying to sort it all out in my head.

I would say buy whichever one fits you better. I have a S&W M&P 40c and I love it. It shoots very naturally, especially with the finger rest magazine. I can shoot just fine with the normal mag too, but the finger rest makes for more grip.

I've not compared an XD/XDm 40 compact with the M&P, but I have shot the 5" XD in .45. I would say for me personally, I like the trigger pull on the XD a little better than the M&P. I also got tighter groups at 15 yards with the .45, but that's a 5" barrel compared with a 3.5" - at 7 yards they group just as tightly for me.

I would be comfortable carrying either one in condition 1, I just happened to buy an M&P before an XD. The XD is the next gun on my list though; and I'll probably end up alternating like Queequeg does. So my advice is buy whichever one is more comfortable for you, and if you really really just can't decide then buy an XD and use the money saved for some practice ammunition.

I've handled but not shot a M&P so can't comment on preference but I do have two XDm's. One in 9mm and one in 40cal. I REALLY like them both. I've been a 40 call fella for some time but I'm really digging the XDm 9mm right now. 19+1 rounds and there are aftermarket extended round mag bottoms now so you can have over 20 rounds accessible in one mag. Seems like it takes all day to empty one. Oh yea, they shoot real good too...
smile.gif

I have a XDM 40 and REALLY like it. However, it's a little big for ME to carry concealed, especially in warm weather. I have a smaller frame. So I'm having this same conversation with myself for a sub-compact and I think I've decided on the Glock 26. Not sure if you're in the market for a SC but it's between the XD9 SC and the Glock 26. I'm not a fan of the M&P trigger. I'm wrestling with the idea of having a full-size XDM and then switching brands and trigger feel when carrying sub-compact. I've resisted the "Glock transition" until now. But after shooting it, I can't beat the accuracy, simplicity, conealability (for me) and outstanding record.

Good luck and have fun choosing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Babo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Casey,
Thanks for the feedback.

I've shot the M&P 40 a little(80-100 rounds) but not the XDm; that is on my list. We're the same height but I've got more than a few pounds on you. I'm not crazy about the M&P trigger design but love the way it fits my hand. I don't want mag or thumb safeties either. Also I'm trying to iron out the differences between the two in condition 1; as it applies to striker autos. </div></div>

I have the M&P Pro 9mm and the trigger is lighter than my Glock with the 3.5 lb connector.

Between the two, I really feel like the M&P gives you more pistol for the money. It has a lower bore axis, a more ergonomic grip, and a CNC machined stainless steel slide.

The pro model has a hand fitted 4.5 lb trigger. It's VERY nice...to the point where I don't have a problem switching between the 1911 and the M&P.

The XD was a nice pistol at $400 with 4 mags. It's not a $500+ dollar pistol, though. The XDm is a big improvement. Honestly, if the XDm was available in 9mm when I got my Pro, I would have SERIOUSLY considered it. The XDm has a 4.5" barrel and I wanted 5" or greater, so perhaps the pro would have still got the nod.

It's hard to go wrong with either, but to me, the M&P is a better value. The XDs do have a nicer trigger, but any M&P equipped with a Pro sear will be absolutely unbeatable against any plastic pistol.

If you're going to shoot IDPA, I do believe that the M&P is legal in SSP, as well.

I do own a Glock and the M&P. I have never owned any XD, however.

Dont know if you handload or not. If not, disregard what I'm about to say.

I've handloaded thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40 S&W for Glocks, Sigs, H&K, XDs, and M&Ps. Rounds that feed beautifully and reliably through all the others, will cause problems with an M&P. I haven't checked specs on the the M&P but I'm guessing tolerances are different and recoil springs are heavier. I gave up trying to load lead bullets in an M&P. Couldn't ever make them headspace correctly and they would either not feed, or would go too deep and would have to be pounded out. Jacketed bullets are the only thing that would feed reliably. Handloads also have to be hotter to cycle the M&Ps I've loaded for.

I think the M&P looks better and has a better trigger than the XD but its also more expensive. And dang sure is more finicky on reloads.

Re: Which would you carry: S&W M&P 40 or XDM 40?

I agree with the M&P line from above. Im a Sig guy but most people I know have sold there M&P's for the XD

Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm going to my local indoor range this weekend to shoot both side by side with 4 or 5 types of ammo.
I'll keep in mind what all of you have said.
The only technical question I still have is does the M&P have an internal safety blocking the firing pin channel as the XDm does.
I can't find that info anywhere.

Just a word of warning on the XD. I want to put the blame for the following where it properly belongs, with me. That said, I found a problem with my XD caused by my extended concealed carry here in sunny, humid, Tampa.

The striker on mine locked up in its channel due to corrsion. This is a stainless slide but the striker is actually blued and got a little rusty. Enough so that it locked up pretty solidly. It took about 15 minutes to resolve the problem, and I used some 800 grit wet sandpaper and some CLP to smoothe it out again. I now never leave a loaded round in the chamber after walking, or extended "intimate" carry any more, without a quick wipe and a function check. Also a little extra oil in that part of the slide seems prudent as well.

Like I said, this was my fault as I should have done a better job keeping tabs on its condition.

Like the old slogan says, "Rust never sleeps"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The striker on mine locked up in its channel due to corrsion. This is a stainless slide but the striker is actually blued and got a little rusty. Enough so that it locked up pretty solidly. It took about 15 minutes to resolve the problem, and I used some 800 grit wet sandpaper and some CLP to smoothe it out again. I now never leave a loaded round in the chamber after walking, or extended "intimate" carry any more, without a quick wipe and a function check. Also a little extra oil in that part of the slide seems prudent as well.
</div></div>

The striker channel of a striker fired pistol should NEVER be oiled. You're just asking for it to get gummed up and stop when you need it. Clean it out and leave it clean...not oily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've handloaded thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40 S&W for Glocks, Sigs, H&K, XDs, and M&Ps. Rounds that feed beautifully and reliably through all the others, will cause problems with an M&P. I haven't checked specs on the the M&P but I'm guessing tolerances are different and recoil springs are heavier. I gave up trying to load lead bullets in an M&P. Couldn't ever make them headspace correctly and they would either not feed, or would go too deep and would have to be pounded out. Jacketed bullets are the only thing that would feed reliably. Handloads also have to be hotter to cycle the M&Ps I've loaded for.
</div></div>

I have loaded thousands of 147 grain lead truncated cone bullets in my 9mm M&P. In fact, I don't believe it's ever had even a single jacketed bullet run down its bore.

I know .40 is tougher to load for, though. The only problems I've had is that the freebore is a bit short, so I had to load them about .010" shorter than where some guys were, to make sure they don't get jammed into the rifling.

I have loaded down to ~130 power factor and never had a problem. Clays powder wouldn't cycle my gun at 875 FPS, but the rest do.

Supposedly, Glock recoil springs for a G17 will work in an M&P if you need a lighter spring. I have never seen any use for it, though. My *barely* minor PF loads cycle my M&P just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Babo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only technical question I still have is does the M&P have an internal safety blocking the firing pin channel as the XDm does.
I can't find that info anywhere. </div></div>

Of course it does. Every modern gun has a drop safety, and they all pretty much use the same style, like the one to which you refer.

Well DZ, I know that applies to Glocks, hence the carry over of my G23 maintenance laziness, as applied to my XD!

Do what you like amigo but I'm not going to let this steel striker get locked up again. The really stupid part is that I was walking around with it locked up for at least a couple days.

For those couple days, I'd have been better protected with a pistol that shoots out a flag with the word "POW" on it...

If your point is that I should have been more attentive to the condition of my pistol, then yes, I agree. Remember, I didn't blame anyone other than myself.

Don't care for .40cal much, but have shot the piss out of the M&P 9mm and I own an XDm 9mm.

While I like the feel of the M&P...I didn't care for it on the range AT ALL.

My XDm feels great and actually ran circles around my USP9 which is a tack driver itself at the range.

I've always been (and still am) a Glock junkie...never really been on the XD bandwagon till I shot the XDm...it took 2 mags at the range a gentlemen let me shoot to buy one 3 days later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well DZ, I know that applies to Glocks, hence the carry over of my G23 maintenance laziness, as applied to my XD!

Do what you like amigo but I'm not going to let this steel striker get locked up again. The really stupid part is that I was walking around with it locked up for at least a couple days.

For those couple days, I'd have been better protected with a pistol that shoots out a flag with the word "POW" on it...

If your point is that I should have been more attentive to the condition of my pistol, then yes, I agree. Remember, I didn't blame anyone other than myself. </div></div>

I would put anti-seize or dry lube in it before I'd use oil or grease.

I own an XDM .40 and the 9mm conversion barrel. I love this pistol! I've only shot a few mags through an MP but both I and the MP owner shot my XDM better.

Not much experience with the MP here, but +1 for XDM

Regards,
Nate