• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Wrist Watch ?

bkglock

Field Marshal
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2002
USA
I'm looking for a new watch.
In the past I have always just bought a $20 Timex Digital, wear it for 2 or 3 years and buy the next one. I wear a watch everyday.
Now I'm looking to get something a bit nicer. The problem is I need a longer than standard band. I have large wrists.
Budget is $200. Prefer digital. Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Seiko 5KX or the classic SKX007

If you're wearing it every day I would skip the digital and go automatic.
Seiko.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new watch.
In the past I have always just bought a $20 Timex Digital, wear it for 2 or 3 years and buy the next one. I wear a watch everyday.
Now I'm looking to get something a bit nicer. The problem is I need a longer than standard band. I have large wrists.
Budget is $200. Prefer digital. Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
I have a Casio G Shock 3366 that I got in 2004. It’s one that has the solar charging face and sets itself via the atomic clock in the US Naval Observatory. I have worn this watch every day since I got it in 2004 and have never even had to change a battery in it. The only thing I have ever had to do is change the band. It is absolutely bizarre. I would like to justify a new one but it has kinda become a game now, to see how long it will keep working.

John
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bkglock
Another +1 for Gshock.

Have several and wear one everyday and they take beatings.

Get one that is reverse backlight though instead of the led light. Much easier to see in the dark...

s-l640.jpg

Casio G Shock of your liking. They’re bullet proof, almost, and they can be at or under your budget.
Bulletproof hahaha. Had a simunition round blast the face on one once. Probably save my wrist some pain, but far from bulletproof. Had another run over by a 2500 series truck, I found most of the pieces. I expected that one to break so no biggie there.

You might consider doubling your budget to get into the range of something worthwhile that you will really like and will serve you well.

Reactions: bkglock
Bulletproof hahaha. Had a simunition round blast the face on one once. Probably save my wrist some pain, but far from bulletproof. Had another run over by a 2500 series truck, I found most of the pieces. I expected that one to break so no biggie there.
The word directly after bulletproof in my post is (almost). Yes, if you run them over with a truck they are going to break. In my experiences, though, they are durable as hell.

OP…MidwayUSA is having a sale right now on Luminox watches. They have treated me well throughout the years too.

A few things I prefer in utility watches:
  • Solar charged, I won't touch a watch with traditional batteries. Even my analogs are solar (Citizen Eco-Drive), and my last Seiko divers shit out on me in the cold and left me hanging for months in Afghanistan, never been back to battery since.
  • Good sized digital face I can read quickly and easily, along with full backlighting for night.
  • Sets itself to the atomic clock each night, I need very precise timekeeping for setting electronics that match to GPS time on other equipment, and even quartz has a shift that I don't feel like compensating for.
  • Triple sensor. I don't much use the thermometer since it's always on my wrist and skewed by body temp, but I often use the barometer and altimeter in the field while hiking or for station pressure in shooting. Big plus there for me, as well as the compass for quick reference.
  • Good water resistance, I will swim with it, but have a Citizen Pro-Dive for going deep.
  • World time zones capability, with auto DST on/off too. I travel a lot as well as needing to reference family in another hemisphere or GMT for equipment time verifications quite a bit, and I don't feel like always doing the math.
  • Strong band, most often titanium for me because I don't want the heft every day.
  • Zero bluetooth/LTE or other bullshit on it.
The Casio Pro-Trek (aka Pathfinder) and G-Shock lines fill my needs perfectly, and they will the OP's as well. Budget wise, they're a bit to a lot over that $200 mark for the newer models, especially with titanium bands, but well in there for older/simpler ones on the right sale. I've never had a Casio shit out on me, typically I replace them every 5-8 years for different features on newer models is all, and they hold up very well despite me being pretty abusive to them through work and hobbies. I've never had the need for the G-Shock level strength, and that includes running machine guns, hammer drills, sledging and whatnot, and a lot of other abusing jarring has yet to break a watch of mine. My current PAW-2000T has been on my wrist since 2013 and still runs flawlessly, but I'll admit I'm eyeing the PRW3500T-7 a lot lately.

View attachment 7655898
Suunto Core, best watch I’ve ever owned and within your budget.

How does it hold up? I've always wondered about the suunto but have never purchased based on review feedback - like they break very easy, shouldnt be submerged,, scratch easy and just in general aren't very tough...which rules them out for me. I'm a practical watch guy...

View attachment 7655898
Suunto Core, best watch I’ve ever owned and within your budget.

It's a great watch at the ~$120 they are going for now.

Most problems with them are user error.... replace the battery in a dry environment and clean the gasket, then use silicone or spark plug grease on the gasket. Otherwise odds are it will fog or leak.

They dress up or down better, and look less dorky than G Shocks.

Reactions: js1977
A few things I prefer in utility watches:
  • Solar charged, I won't touch a watch with traditional batteries. Even my analogs are solar (Citizen Eco-Drive), and my last Seiko divers shit out on me in the cold and left me hanging for months in Afghanistan, never been back to battery since.
  • Good sized digital face I can read quickly and easily, along with full backlighting for night.
  • Sets itself to the atomic clock each night, I need very precise timekeeping for setting electronics that match to GPS time on other equipment, and even quartz has a shift that I don't feel like compensating for.
  • Triple sensor. I don't much use the thermometer since it's always on my wrist and skewed by body temp, but I often use the barometer and altimeter in the field while hiking or for station pressure in shooting. Big plus there for me, as well as the compass for quick reference.
  • Good water resistance, I will swim with it, but have a Citizen Pro-Dive for going deep.
  • World time zones capability, with auto DST on/off too. I travel a lot as well as needing to reference family in another hemisphere or GMT for equipment time verifications quite a bit, and I don't feel like always doing the math.
  • Strong band, most often titanium for me because I don't want the heft every day.
  • Zero bluetooth/LTE or other bullshit on it.
The Casio Pro-Trek (aka Pathfinder) and G-Shock lines fill my needs perfectly, and they will the OP's as well. Budget wise, they're a bit to a lot over that $200 mark for the newer models, especially with titanium bands, but well in there for older/simpler ones on the right sale. I've never had a Casio shit out on me, typically I replace them every 5-8 years for different features on newer models is all, and they hold up very well despite me being pretty abusive to them through work and hobbies. I've never had the need for the G-Shock level strength, and that includes running machine guns, hammer drills, sledging and whatnot, and a lot of other abusing jarring has yet to break a watch of mine. My current PAW-2000T has been on my wrist since 2013 and still runs flawlessly, but I'll admit I'm eyeing the PRW3500T-7 a lot lately.

That seiko in my photo is solar

No atomic time, but it’s quartz and doesn’t really lose or gain anything worth note

I had a Garmin Instinct tactical that I really liked. I went to the Marq athlete ( wife got it for me). The Instinct was a good watch, never had any issues with it. You have the ability to turn all outside connectivity off if you need to also. I have seen sales on the Instinct which gets it to $200. They do have a solar one, but it's more.

Depends on your daily attire. I used to wear long sleeved dress shirts/ties to work. Any watch with a thick bezel frayed my cuff after just a few wears...awfully expensive to replace 10 or 12 $75 shirts each year. So I chose to wear the ultra thin watches. Of course, they had their problems, too, primarily because the thin batteries ran out of juice every two or three months. So....today I'm retired, wear short sleeved t-shirts and wear about any watch I want. Of course, I still learn. For example, my favorite watches are Seiko titanium ones. But after two or three years of constant wear, they need cleaning. And if the watch repairman finds that he needs to replace parts, he can't. It seems Seiko does not sell replacement parts to any watch maker...period. Nope, I have to send my watch to Seiko's New Jersey national repair facility for any repair. That makes the ownership of a $300 to $500 titanium watch all of a sudden less attractive. As Blondie said, they're gonna getcha, one way or the other.

That seiko in my photo is solar

No atomic time, but it’s quartz and doesn’t really lose or gain anything worth note
Seiko has lagged so far behind Citizen on solar offerings, as well as features and styles offered on that line, that I moved on decades ago and haven’t been back. Seiko is tits for Japanese automatic movements, but those just aren’t accurate enough for me.

Seiko has lagged so far behind Citizen on solar offerings, as well as features and styles offered on that line, that I moved on decades ago and haven’t been back. Seiko is tits for Japanese automatic movements, but those just aren’t accurate enough for me.

What type of accuracy are you looking for?

I mean if you’re requiring more accuracy than most any over $100 quartz, you probably should be using a certified scientific chronometer, not a consumer wrist watch

Reactions: Drew890
Yep...could get one sync'd to the National Bureau of Standards' broadcasts. But even that source sometimes triggers a re-set. In the late 60's/early 70's we used to sync our seismic equipment to the NBS via short-wave radio. But it depended on the propagation whether the NBS broadcast with the strongest signal came from the US, from Japan, from Europe or some other location. And that made a difference...the travel time for each of those signals to reach us in the Philippines differed by milli-seconds - not too important for a wrist watch, but very critical for pinpointing the location of a "man-made" seismic event.

What type of accuracy are you looking for?

I mean if you’re requiring more accuracy than most any over $100 quartz, you probably should be using a certified scientific chronometer, not a consumer wrist watch
Read what I typed again. I said automatics aren't accurate enough. A $30 Timex is more accurate than a Seiko Automatic, or even a Rolex for that matter.

Rolexes are NOT accurate...no mechanical watch can hold a candle to quartz or similar movements. But then, that's not why people buy a Rolex.
Absolutely agree, but then again I buy a watch to know what time it is, not what time it almost is. A Rolex would clash with my steel toes anyhow, and heaven forbid I make that fashion faux pas.

Read what I typed again. I said automatics aren't accurate enough. A $30 Timex is more accurate than a Seiko Automatic, or even a Rolex for that matter.

I see what you did now, it was just the lumping of seiko quartz with automatics (automatics arnt really going to tick the box for OP).

Style wise, that’s in the eye of the person, personally I like the style of some of the seikos, mines a remake of a old diving watch, sticking to more classics has always been my go to across the board.

That being said, mechanical watches are plenty accurate for what is required from a wrist watch.

“The astronauts used their Omega Speedmaster watches to time the trajectory adjustments. Careful timing of the mid-flight adjustments was crucial – not long enough and they would get the trajectory wrong, too long and they would use up the descent engine and be lost afloat in space. Three corrections were made in total, each one timed precisely by the Omega Speedmaster. The spacecraft entered the Earth's atmosphere with plenty of consumables left on board and in a trajectory that would land them right near the recovery crews already stationed in the Pacific Ocean.
For contributions to the success of the mission Omega was awarded the Silver Snoopy award. One of the great honors NASA can bestow on employees and contractors, the Silver Snoopy is a prestigious American award. Omega has recently released a commemorative edition of the Speedmaster Professional with a signature Snoopy figure on one of the sub-dials. “

Attachments

• 1624818159944.jpeg
    1624818159944.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Absolutely agree, but then again I buy a watch to know what time it is, not what time it almost is. A Rolex would clash with my steel toes anyhow, and heaven forbid I make that fashion faux pas.
A Rolex clashes with nothing.

However, to seriously answer the OP, I’d probably look at the Seiko or similar. The titanium look cool.

Just avoid the retardedly large bezel, because people will think you have Down syndrome.

I'm not aware of any (non-military) profession that requires the level of precision/accuracy that a NBS-sync'd watch would deliver. Indeed, folks most likely rely on computers (or similar hardware) to deliver such accuracy - not a wristwatch. When I wear one of my Rolexes, I KNOW my Rolexes loose a minute of time every three or four days (or sooner as they get dirtier inside), so I simply check the exact time (by reference to my PC) then re-adjust my watch. I am not ashamed of the inaccuracy residing on my wrist. My Seikos remain acceptible accurate for weeks, not days. And if I am concerned my watch might be running slow, I just leave home a little bit earlier. And when I arrive I feel good wearing a watch that I like. YMMV

Seiko used to offer titanium watches with a 39 - to 41 mm case. Watches of that size were acceptible to me. But now, Seiko, Cassio, Citizen and all of the digital watch makers only sell watches the size of medium-sized pie plates. Since I don't have Popeye-sized forearms, pie-plates look goofy. Just not my stye.

I'm not aware of any (non-military) profession that requires the level of precision/accuracy that a NBS-sync'd watch would deliver. Indeed, folks most likely rely on computers (or similar hardware) to deliver such accuracy - not a wristwatch. When I wear one of my Rolexes, I KNOW my Rolexes loose a minute of time every three or four days (or sooner as they get dirtier inside), so I simply check the exact time (by reference to my PC) then re-adjust my watch. I am not ashamed of the inaccuracy residing on my wrist. My Seikos remain acceptible accurate for weeks, not days. And if I am concerned my watch might be running slow, I just leave home a little bit earlier. And when I arrive I feel good wearing a watch that I like. YMMV
I maintain and synchronize railroad crossing equipment and while most of our event recorders are GPS set, the equipment that triggers the crossing isn't because we don't want any potential outside interference with those. I take my job extremely seriously, as does virtually every other signalman for every other railroad.

Many people are dumb fucks and think they can either beat a train doing 60+ mph or that 35k tons of coal stops on a dime, and they go around the crossing gates when the warning time is 20-30 seconds prior to arrival of the train at the roadway, while still taking it easy for the rough road. When they get hit, they (or more often their family) likes to think big railroad will pay out big time, and they file a lawsuit claiming our shit didn't warn them in time. However, we have proof the lights/gates were operating an appropriate amount of time before the train arrived at the crossing, and we counter sue the insurance company and/or dumbass for costs of damages to our locomotive(s) and cars, crossing equipment, injuries to our own personnel, etc. If I'm not checking/resetting the euipment for computer processor timekeeping inaccuracies, they may just get out of paying for their own stupidity along with getting people like me fired for not doing their job right when we thought we were, all because of a watch that keeps shit time.

So yes, to the second accuracy matters for more than the military or simply being somewhere on time, and I'm just one small field of work amongst many that require the same kind of accuracy in timekeeping. We don't work to split seconds, but we do need the equipment to match each other when it goes in front of judge and jury.

I worked with one gear queer who had a Rolex he would wear to work, and I would fuck with him incessantly when he would break out his phone or ask me what time it was when setting clocks. It's like bringing an F-Class rifle to the Steel Safari, what's the point if it doesn't work?

Reactions: aam
I maintain and synchronize railroad crossing equipment and while most of our event recorders are GPS set, the equipment that triggers the crossing isn't because we don't want any potential outside interference with those. I take my job extremely seriously, as does virtually every other signalman for every other railroad.

Many people are dumb fucks and think they can either beat a train doing 60+ mph or that 35k tons of coal stops on a dime, and they go around the crossing gates when the warning time is 20-30 seconds prior to arrival of the train at the roadway, while still taking it easy for the rough road. When they get hit, they (or more often their family) likes to think big railroad will pay out big time, and they file a lawsuit claiming our shit didn't warn them in time. However, we have proof the lights/gates were operating an appropriate amount of time before the train arrived at the crossing, and we counter sue the insurance company and/or dumbass for costs of damages to our locomotive(s) and cars, crossing equipment, injuries to our own personnel, etc. If I'm not checking/resetting the euipment for computer processor timekeeping inaccuracies, they may just get out of paying for their own stupidity along with getting people like me fired for not doing their job right when we thought we were, all because of a watch that keeps shit time.

So yes, to the second accuracy matters for more than the military or simply being somewhere on time, and I'm just one small field of work amongst many that require the same kind of accuracy in timekeeping. We don't work to split seconds, but we do need the equipment to match each other when it goes in front of judge and jury.

I worked with one gear queer who had a Rolex he would wear to work, and I would fuck with him incessantly when he would break out his phone or ask me what time it was when setting clocks. It's like bringing an F-Class rifle to the Steel Safari, what's the point if it doesn't work?

It gets you more pussy.

Reactions: MCSO1357
It gets you more pussy.

Most chicks are not too smart when it comes to quality, especially mechanical, just get a fake Rolex with a quartz and some lead to give it weight, or if you’re trying to get a high end one get a fake with a sweeping second hand, will fool 9.9/10, one of the reasons I don’t like Rolex is there are more damn fakes than real ones, wear one with jeans and a old T-shirt and step into a normal bar and act normal and folks will probably presume the real deal is a fake.

Overall, if you’re not fat and ugly, have half a sense of humor and can at least cover drinks and a air bnb, it’s not too hard

It gets you more pussy.
Married, get it all I want. She didn't care I had a Casio on the wrist, but the M4/M9 combo did get her motor running. Something about us "security types" as she once called me.

The money vacuum ex cared about Rolex and shit, I learned to stay away from that type of woman ever since.

Another vote for the G-Shock.
I have one silver and one black.
I do occasionally have to charge the silver one because I don't wear it often enough but I have a table lamp for charging it.
Both watches are digital only because my last job had me working with strong neodymium magnets which were strong enough to stop the hands on an ordinary mechanical watch and I was not looking to spend enough money to get a watch with non ferrous internals and hands.

I really liked my g shock I have. I stopped wearing it as I found out I can wear my Apple Watch at work but can’t carry my phone with me (oilfield logic). Analog watch with digital display for time or date. Also has a stopwatch too. Think it was around 130-150 bucks. Found it to be the perfect size for my wrists.

I went watch shopping today, went to 3 different stores. Looked at Bulova, Seiko and Citizen. Ultimately I decided that I needed my watch to tell me the time and date, really nothing else. I handled about 20 different watches and settled on this one. It's light and thin and the band is long enough.
The watch was on sale, and I had an additional 25%off from reward points, so it was $175. A savings of $85.
Decided, keep it simple stupid.
Citizen Eco Drive, this is entry level into the Eco Drive.

Attachments

• 20210627_143629.jpg
    20210627_143629.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 51
Before getting an AppleWatch, I wore Citizens. I had a few of the solar powered versions.

This was/is my favorite.

iu.jpeg

But after getting an AppleWatch, I can't see wearing anything else. It does so much. Is durable. And while not cheap, it's competitively priced among watches with its specs like sapphire crystal. I mean, I can actually make a phone call with only my watch. No phone or wifi needed. GPS and mapping, etc.

I wear either a Rolex explorer or or a 1956 omega seamaster, but i have had tons of others. For that money a seiko automatic is the best option hands down. I prefer a stainless seiko 5 as a beater watch. I like 36 mm case sized watches so for what its worth...

Reactions: FWoo45