• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whidden dies

Total opposite - 6.5 creed does purchased back in 15’. Massive runout in their full length. Took months to get them to get back to me and sent my original die back with a hand note saying “no issue”. Um yeah, okay...

Threw that die in the trash...

Reactions: Wingnut00
and huge difference in consistent accuracy ?
The 6xc came a little rough on the inside finish, I used some fine grit sandpaper and wd40 to clean it up. The rifles seemed to like the ammo they made. I don't use expander balls anymore, but also don't measure runout on loaded rounds.

Reactions: iceng
My goto for custom work since falling out with CH4D (whatever you do don't use them). They cost a little more but have totally been worth it.

I deal direct with the die shop manager.

Dillon doesn't make a trim die in 6.5G for their auto trimmer and I wanted one that wouldn't size the brass but still hold it for trimming. They made a better tool than the factory one IMO, it's nice.

Was told they can make whatever you can draw up.

For off the shelf dies I like the Forster dies.

I’ll soon find out as I recently got some for a project I’m putting together.
So far they look pretty decent.

Solid dies and solid people. Been running their dies in about 6 calibers for 5-6 years. Never ad a problem with any of them and they are absolutely great to deal with.

I have a custom sizer for my last 300 PRC, and another on the way for my new one (which has an undersized chamber). I also have one of their sizing dies for my 6 BRA, which was the only option at the time. All are pretty consistent, and I'm happy with the company overall.

I got a few, custom per fired case I sent off. No expander ball. Big fan.

Solid dies and solid people. Been running their dies in about 6 calibers for 5-6 years. Never ad a problem with any of them and they are absolutely great to deal with.
Top shelf.
I have a custom sizer for my last 300 PRC, and another on the way for my new one (which has an undersized chamber). I also have one of their sizing dies for my 6 BRA, which was the only option at the time. All are pretty consistent, and I'm happy with the company overall.
I got a few, custom per fired case I sent off. No expander ball. Big fan.
Accuracy compared to the dies you used in the past.... and is it consistent.

I use redding type S or whidden, I will also say I have 2 LEWilson and Arbor press I don't currently use (seating only). The Arbor and LEWilson work exceptionally well, however I mainly use single stage press for seating. I find it marginally quicker and good concentricity.

Following with interest , I have some Whidden tools but have not tried their dies .

Total opposite - 6.5 creed does purchased back in 15’. Massive runout in their full length. Took months to get them to get back to me and sent my original die back with a hand note saying “no issue”. Um yeah, okay...

Threw that die in the trash...
I had the same experience:
My custom Dies were scratching my brass. I called them with no response.
So i did some research and polished the dies on the inside with a 600 grit sand paper and problem solved.
I do not know if it screwed the dies concentricity...

I run their sizing die for 6BRA, no issues at all.

I really like their seating dies. I prefer them to the forster micrometer dies or redding dies I've tried.

I just bought their Full Length Bushing Die set in 6.5 CM. The sizing die was scratching, more like gouging the brass. I sent them an email and they said send it in and they will polish or replace if necessary. I am in Canada and it's a pita to ship south and on my dime to boot. I know it can happen and I appreciate that they will look at it but up here anyway the die set cost me $280.00 Canadian so they are not cheap and now paying to send something back that probably should have not left the shop in the first place is frustrating.

They're all I use. I have the click to adjust FL bushing sets in 223, 6BR, 6 Dasher, 6XC, and 6.5 PRC. They are smooth, consistent, and make awesome ammo. The only issue I had was with one of the seating stems ringing my bullets. I was sent a replacement immediately with no charge.

I had nothing but issues with mine. Excessive runout in 6.5x47L they refunded my money. Sizing die would not bump shoulder on another. Refund.

Never again for me

Last edited:
Padom

what was thier response on the runout issue? I heard John Whidden mention in one of his vids that the bushing dies create more runout from bushing play, versus regular die.

Padom

what was thier response on the runout issue? I heard John Whidden mention in one of his vids that the bushing dies create more runout from bushing play, versus regular die.

Runout issue was with a Whidden Micrometer 6.5x47L seating die not a sizing die... Side by side with a Forster Ultra Micrometer the difference was huge. They said nothing to me on cause and refunded my money.

I had issues with mine. They replaced the sizing die (I paid the shipping) and I sold the dies rather than deal with them anymore.

and you didn't ask? Why not man?

Ask what? Why my die is fucked up and wont push shoulder back? I know the answer, because its too long and material needs removed off the bottom of the die. Why the seating die is causing excessive runout? Twice.. I dont care why, want my money back so I can buy a Forster Ultra that works.

Had the exact same issue. Unfortunately, they wouldn't give me a refund. Couldn't screw the next guy down the line so I threw away the sizer die. Actually, @milboltnut would you like a 6.5 seater die? Mint, low miles, one owner.

I only use Whiddens now and they have been great for me. 6BRA, 6.5 Creedmoor and .300 NM.

The click adjustable FL sizer is the tits, I wish all my FL sizing dies had that feature.

I've had no issues with Whidden. The benchrest crowd seems to swear by them, funny that people in our discipline seem to have problems with them.

Reactions: lloydx2
@milboltnut

You have this same thread posted on about 8 different forums. Have you got the answer you want yet? ;) :)
you noticed? :ROFLMAO: Mostly great info..... just want as much feedback as I can get. Alot of times they are just too vague, and I have to prod a little harder. At least I can just keep getting answers faster rather than wait forever.

Reactions: Alabusa
That's the issue I had with a 6.5 Creedmoor Redding Type S die, which started my journey with Whidden.
And the Hornady wasnt bad to begin with. I was just looking for better as in closer to zero variance. But it was worse. I may give it another try.

Reactions: kthomas
Ask what? Why my die is fucked up and wont push shoulder back? I know the answer, because its too long and material needs removed off the bottom of the die. Why the seating die is causing excessive runout? Twice.. I dont care why, want my money back so I can buy a Forster Ultra that works.
I push hard.... they would have gotton it right

Had the exact same issue. Unfortunately, they wouldn't give me a refund. Couldn't screw the next guy down the line so I threw away the sizer die. Actually, @milboltnut would you like a 6.5 seater die? Mint, low miles, one owner.
Alf
I would love to play with that 6.5 seater. I have a sizing die that is working very well but no matching seater. $

Guess I have just been lucky. Never had any problems with any of the sets I have. I smashed my stem on a rock that way lodged inside a piece of brass,called them up told them what happened and had a new one on my steps 2 days later no charge. Everytime I have ever ordered anything from them they have been more than helpful,great customer service.

Reactions: lloydx2
you noticed? :ROFLMAO: Mostly great info..... just want as much feedback as I can get. Alot of times they are just too vague, and I have to prod a little harder. At least I can just keep getting answers faster rather than wait forever.
Maybe I can help, Whidden himself is a competitive shooter, good one, his company primarily served disciplines other than this crowd. Then PRS hit, and the influx of shooters wanted better than normal, and leaned on Whidden, naturally growing pains caught up and quality control suffered. Most, not all of the complaints are 4-5 yrs old. and I think things have settled back down, back to decent products.
Any company can make a bad die, you seem to have over researched a 180 buck set of dies. They are production, not custom, unless ordered that way. As far as I know, they have always tried to make things right, whether it worked, who knows, but they tried.
That said, I love Whidden bushing dies, don't have much use for their seating die, maybe because of Redding comp seaters.
I had one Whidden sizer way out of spec, wont get into the ensuing argument over the phone I had with a tech, but when I got my replacement, a hand written apology in the box. I will continue to buy their sizers, my shooting has not dictated a custom set of dies, doubt it will.

6 Dasher sizing die is awesome. Polished to a mirror on the inside and fits my fired brass/chamber dimensions beautifully.

Sold the seater and bought a Forster. Won't bother with another although they were great to deal with.

Maybe I can help, Whidden himself is a competitive shooter, good one, his company primarily served disciplines other than this crowd. Then PRS hit, and the influx of shooters wanted better than normal, and leaned on Whidden, naturally growing pains caught up and quality control suffered. Most, not all of the complaints are 4-5 yrs old. and I think things have settled back down, back to decent products.
Any company can make a bad die, you seem to have over researched a 180 buck set of dies. They are production, not custom, unless ordered that way. As far as I know, they have always tried to make things right, whether it worked, who knows, but they tried.
That said, I love Whidden bushing dies, don't have much use for their seating die, maybe because of Redding comp seaters.
I had one Whidden sizer way out of spec, wont get into the ensuing argument over the phone I had with a tech, but when I got my replacement, a hand written apology in the box. I will continue to buy their sizers, my shooting has not dictated a custom set of dies, doubt it will.

My complaint and my several of my Friend's are less than 18 months old. Everyone I know who bought their dies has gone away from them. I'd rather have RCBS dies.