Whidden full length sizing bushing die issue

Bigmeech556

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2021
Washington
Hey so I have a problem with my whidden full length bushing die in 223 rem. Or maybe not I don't know.. it it leaves these lines like tooling marks around the neck and towards the case head. Not sure if you can see it in the pics but has anyone had this problem before

Attachments

• 20220313_000654.jpg
    20220313_000654.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220313_000718.jpg
    20220313_000718.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 90

918v

It’s not the primer!
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Miserable CA
I think you did not break the die in properly. I would clean the die with sweets 762 or barnes cr10 and then lube the inside of the die with imperial on a q tip. Then break the die in by running a case in partially and pulling out, then lubing the case again and going in a little more, then repeating until the whole case was in.

Reactions: Bigmeech556

Bigmeech556

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2021
Washington
I think you did not break the die in properly. I would clean the die with sweets 762 or barnes cr10 and then lube the inside of the die with imperial on a q tip. Then break the die in by running a case in partially and pulling out, then lubing the case again and going in a little more, then repeating until the whole case was in.
Should I use a case that I don't want anymore? And I don't have either of those cleaners but I have boretech cleaners and montana xtreme iosso jb bore thorro flush will any of those work?

Supersubes

Heathen
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Sep 6, 2006
    Eastern Sierra
    Like a matte silver I bought it from directly from whidden
    Whidden typically has some of the nicest internal finish. I clean my dies every time I use them with acetone and then just hose them down with one shot prior to use. contact whidden and have them swap it out for you.

918v

It’s not the primer!
    Minuteman
    Jul 15, 2007
    Miserable CA
    Should I use a case that I don't want anymore? And I don't have either of those cleaners but I have boretech cleaners and montana xtreme iosso jb bore thorro flush will any of those work?

If they dissolve copper then yes. You need a strong copper solvent.

Reactions: Bigmeech556

Baron23

Check 6
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    Ah, that's assuming you have copper built up in there causing the striations.

Take a look. It should be visible, right?

If not, then any gun solvent will do followed by any case lube, in my very limited and probably uninformed opinion.

I use Hornady Gun Scrubber to clean dies, and BoreTech if I find any copper in there, and then lube with One Shot

Dolomite

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 3, 2013
    It’s good to go, shows you where on the case was sized. Disappears after you fire the case. The main thing it sizes the brass where it needs to be.

smoothy8500

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 10, 2012
    South Orange County, CA
    I use the Hornady one shot and have never had an issue like this with my redding type s bushing die

I think you did not break the die in properly.
    This may be the issue. Every die manufacturer's instructions say to clean thoroughly and lubricate the interior prior to use. If not followed microscopic flakes of brass end up sticking to the steel from the first piece of brass, giving that "sand-blasted" look.

Reactions: Baron23

Bigmeech556

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 26, 2021
    Washington
    This may be the issue. Every die manufacturer's instructions say to clean thoroughly and lubricate the interior prior to use. If not followed microscopic flakes of brass end up sticking to the steel from the first piece of brass, giving that "sand-blasted" look.
    I did clean it and lubed it not as thorough as like the guy on here said.. whidden also emailed me back and said it's normal