• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whidden Gunworks .223

Ol Rob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
Tifton, Ga.
This is my new custom .223 by Whidden Gunworks. It is built with a Surgeon 591 action. 26in Broughton #7 contour 5C barrel, threaded for my supressor. McMillan A3 stock with Surgeon bottom metal. Flat dark earth Cerakote by myself. USO 3x17x35 scope.
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Re: Whidden Gunworks .223

Great looking rifle! I didn't know John was building now. It should be a helluva shooter because he is a sticker for details.
Give us a range report soon.

I am getting close to an optimum load. Looks like an 80gr berger or SMK. I will update with results.
Rob
I forgot to list the twist is 1:7

Please post some target pics when you are finished with your load development. Sure looks good so far!

Hey Rob that is a nice looking rifle. I can't wait to see it. I am going to try and make it out the next weekend I am off.

I assume you used his "bedding block" instead of bedding? I bought one of his bedding blocks for my McMillan A5 and 40x and couldn't be happier with the accuracy I get!

Very Nice!!!

Thanks y'all. I am very happy with it. It is a heavy stick. Range report soon.
Rob

The scope is awsome. The 17 power is a little less than I am used to using, but it is enough and you can see mirrage great. It tracks perfectly, as it should.
I got it shooting 1/2 moa at 200, but still tweaking the load. I know I can tighten it up a little more. Still waiting on a trigger.
Rob

Range report: Well this gun is really showing great potential. I have put in a CG Extreme 2 stage trigger set at a crip 8 oz. It needs to be fouled to shoot the best. John sent the bolt off to have it bushed. Magnum primers are a must. But I am shooting the 80 grain SMK's and Amax's to 1K yards with predictable results. More challenging than my 308, but it can be done.
More later-Rob

John is very busy. You will just have to give him a call. He is top shelf.
Rob

Nice rifle! Unless your are set on the 80gr amaxes or smk's, take a look at JLK's in the same weight. They are excellent bullets, and inside my 308. You might also get some great results with some Berger 90gr bullets, given that you have a true 7 twist.