• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: White deer

Very cool, I'm glad their protected. Every once in a while one pops-up out in the Sutter Buttes. My buddy took a picture of the last one he seen while he was out checking on some gas wells. When I first looked at the picture I didn't even notice the regular deer in the background.

-Pat

Ever seen the white ones in the Seneca Army Depot on Seneca Lake NY? Smack in the middle of the fingerlakes a herd was fenced in when the depot was built many years ago, they're supposedly the largest population all in one spot in the country (or maybe world, I forget).

Cool looking animals.

I live near the seneca army depot the deer in there are albino they are the only ones in the world! They have tours and you can enter a lottery to hunt there as well. Its all privatly owned now.

There are quite a few hybrids South and East of Seneca Lake, and I've even seen a piebald doe as far South and East as Newfield. We tend not to harvest them, electing to let them breed instead. We want to see them increase and thrive in the local, general population.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are quite a few hybrids South and East of Seneca Lake, and I've even seen a piebald doe as far South and East as Newfield. We tend not to harvest them, electing to let them breed instead. We want to see them increase and thrive in the local, general population.

Greg </div></div>

I knew they had a name but I couldn't remember it.

Hybrid and piebald are terms used to describe deer with mixed white/brown coloration. The white coloration is not a form of albinism, but a condition known as leucism.

more

Greg

My father inlaw has a winery in Lodi and we had a white buck and a doe there last year. We didnt take them doring the season or on nusence permits.

A guy I bought my bow from has shot a few to "get them out of the gene pool", which I believe cuz the deer in his area have some nice genes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ICANHITHIMMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live near the seneca army depot the deer in there are albino they are the only ones in the world! They have tours and you can enter a lottery to hunt there as well. Its all privatly owned now. </div></div>

I use to live on Seneca Army Depot. We use to hunt on base every year. The deer weren't albinos, just a different breed. Eye color was brown and some of cross bred with the regular white tail making a mix or patchy deer. They were quite a trophy if you harvested a great buck.

As one can see, opinions regarding the intrinsic value of the variation can vary considerably. My view is, it's a big world, and there's plenty enough room for differing opinions (and, perhaps, deer coloration variations, too...). I wonder what the viewpoint was behind hunting the carrier pigeon to extinction.

See <span style="font-style: italic">The Last of the Curlews.</span>. I was about eight or ten when I read it, and it seems to have stuck with me as one of many varying viewpoints that have caught my attention from time to time. I'm no tree-(or whale, or birdie) hugger. My views of conservation were formed when I was a Scout, and they are defined (for me) as wise use of resources, not irresponsible neglect. But I have some issue with the intentional extinction of a subspecies..., and I am currently the president of a conservation club.

Greg

I wouldn't get too excited, the white deer don't taste any better than the brown deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to "get them out of the gene pool"</div></div>

Thats an assanine reason to shoot an albino deer. The albino genes are recessive by nature, and even when they do present themselves, they dont harm the animal's antlers or taste.

We've had a few albinos pop up on our ranch. Sadly, they never make it. Eagles or predators always end up nabbing them while they're young.