• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

White oak 18” 3 gun barrel vs criterion core 18

NateAdams13

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 7, 2021
    Scottsbluff, Nebraska 69361
    Anyone run both of these barrels that can compare? Looking to do a semi DMR gun (haven’t decided if I will keep my k16i or swap to a NF 2.5-10 with offset dot) and want to go 18”. Would like to keep the rifle light weight, but accuracy and reliability are important

I had a WOA 18” barrel that punched way above its price tag.

Much better than a couple criterions that cost twice as much. YMMV.

Both options appear to be 1.9 pounds. I know white oak barrels are leaders in accuracy. I have never used their proprietary gas system. 1” shorter than rifle. Part of the reason I’m leaning towards rifle length is recoil impulse in general.

Reactions: GhostFace
    Both are very good. Pick whichever makes you happy.

If going more towards general purpose use with SPR role as an added capability, I would lean towards Criterion and would get the nitride one.

Just a bit more durability. Also, their hybrid and heavy hybrid contours are awesome.

Reactions: thedude824
    Both options appear to be 1.9 pounds. I know white oak barrels are leaders in accuracy. I have never used their proprietary gas system. 1” shorter than rifle. Part of the reason I’m leaning towards rifle length is recoil impulse in general.
    I have a WOA 14.5 mid length and it is a very soft shooter.

Anyone run both of these barrels that can compare? Looking to do a semi DMR gun (haven’t decided if I will keep my k16i or swap to a NF 2.5-10 with offset dot) and want to go 18”. Would like to keep the rifle light weight, but accuracy and reliability are important

I've had several 18" white oak SPR barrels and they were all good shooters.

I've had several 18" white oak SPR barrels and they were all good shooters.

Would like to ask the same question: WOA (unnamed) Wilson barrel or Bartlein? I am debating between the two, but I suspect the limiting factor would be me, not which WOA barrel I buy.

i’ve had 2 crit barrels, 223 wylde and a 308. neither grouped well with 77gr IMI and 168gr fgmm. both popped primers with said ammo as well but YMMV.

I have a criterion core and a white oak, but the WOA is a varmint contour. That being said, I've shot the smallest group of my life with the WOA, and get sub 1/2moa with handloads consistently. (3 and 5 shot groups.)

I have a 18" Core on my rifle now and it's printing .3"-.5" with Fiocchi 77gr. I was in this same boat earlier this year, only big reason I went with the Criterion is the chrome lining. Not that I will really need it but I am notorious for not cleaning my rifles, running any ammo near me through them, and just torturing them until they fail. So chrome lining could play into the plus side down the road.

Just to muddy the water. I have a 14.5 mid length with pinned muzzle brake from green mountain. It’s a hammer. It outshoots my WOA barrel.

I've had 5 or 6 WOA barrels, all Wilson blanks. Every single one has shot really, really well. I went to the bother and expense of having CLE chamber a couple of Bartlein blanks for me, and both have been a disappointment considering the relative cost. One of them shoots as well as my WOA's, the other a little worse. Both of those have the CLE chamber, and I'm suspicious that might be a contributing factor. There are other considerations like barrel profile that I won't bore you with, but in the end I think the WOA is the answer for me. I just wish WOA offered some SBR lengths as stock items.

I'm in the exact same boat right now. What'd you end up choosing? I'm going to be running factory loads - M193, IMI 77gr, AAC/Frontier

Criterion seems more practical to me but they said they wont have any available until june

I’ve had the Criterion 18” Core and 18” Hybrid Nitrided. The Core has the best balance of any barrel that I’ve shot because all the weight is up by the chamber and tapers down to a .625” profile at the gas block. I was able to get them both to shoot 1 MOA with hand loads. The negative about them is that they are very undergassed and I had to use the Springco yellow spring which is a reduced spring. If weight and mobility are a priority, the Core barrel is the best choice.

If given a choice I’d go with a barrel that has the intermediate length gas for those reasons. I currently have the Noveske 18” and it is good, but I’d recommend getting the Superlative Arms Gas Block because they are overgassed. They make a lightweight version if you want to keep the weight down.

That's more a function of gas port size than anything. Rifle gas is not too long for an 18".
    While this is true, why can’t companies get it right then? Criterion 18” barrels are under gassed. Both of mine and my friends are exactly the same. I’ve also read many people complain about the Aero Precision 18” barrels having the same issues. This also applies to 12.5” barrels with the mid length gas system and the 10.3” barrels.

I’d rather have a barrel with the right gas port size than to chase gas system lengths because they are “softer shouting”. I’d rather just control it with an adjustable gas block or adjustable BCG.

And this is just my opinion based on my experience with several 18” barrels with the rifle length gas system. If my AR cannot cycle properly while using TAC powder and heavy bullets while using a regular carbine buffer, that’s a problem that I do not want to deal with.

While this is true, why can’t companies get it right then? Criterion 18” barrels are under gassed. Both of mine and my friends are exactly the same. I’ve also read many people complain about the Aero Precision 18” barrels having the same issues. This also applies to 12.5” barrels with the mid length gas system and the 10.3” barrels.

I’d rather have a barrel with the right gas port size than to chase gas system lengths because they are “softer shouting”. I’d rather just control it with an adjustable gas block or adjustable BCG.

And this is just my opinion based on my experience with several 18” barrels with the rifle length gas system. If my AR cannot cycle properly while using TAC powder and heavy bullets while using a regular carbine buffer, that’s a problem that I do not want to deal with.
    When I talked to the guys at Criterion they made it pretty clear that the Core series porting is biased towards suppressed use.

I can't answer why people have so much trouble with stuff, other than that people will screw up things in ways you never thought possible. Most people seem to have no diagnosing skills beyond complaining on the internet.

I've been using multiple RLGS 16" barrels with no trouble for years. I've got a RLGS 14.8" that's been flawless, and I tried to make it fail because I didn't believe it would work. After it worked great I had a 17" RLGS +1" made just because "it can't be done!" Ran flawless all last match season, even used as a loaner a couple times and fed all kinds of crap ammo.
    Trust me, 18" RLGS barrels are not difficult to get running perfectly and they're nowhere near the ragged edge of function. Any gassing issues can be fixed by 2 minutes with a drill bit.

Also, AGB's control gas volume, not pressure. You can't get the same effect as a long gas system when you still have the higher port pressure of a shorter system.

When I talked to the guys at Criterion they made it pretty clear that the Core series porting is biased towards suppressed use.

I can't answer why people have so much trouble with stuff, other than that people will screw up things in ways you never thought possible. Most people seem to have no diagnosing skills beyond complaining on the internet.

I've been using multiple RLGS 16" barrels with no trouble for years. I've got a RLGS 14.8" that's been flawless, and I tried to make it fail because I didn't believe it would work. After it worked great I had a 17" RLGS +1" made just because "it can't be done!" Ran flawless all last match season, even used as a loaner a couple times and fed all kinds of crap ammo.
    Trust me, 18" RLGS barrels are not difficult to get running perfectly and they're nowhere near the ragged edge of function. Any gassing issues can be fixed by 2 minutes with a drill bit.

Also, AGB's control gas volume, not pressure. You can't get the same effect as a long gas system when you still have the higher port pressure of a shorter system.
    I spoke with them several times and they told me that their barrels were set up to run both suppressed and unsuppressed as smooth as they can. When I told them about my issues, they told me to try a heavier buffer which was completely wrong. That’s when I discovered the Springco Yellow Spring and it worked.

My friend has their 14.5” Core and my nephew has their 13.9” Core and they run perfect. This isn’t anything against Criterion because they are one of my favorite barrels for the price. I thought about drilling the gas port out, but I was told that it may mess up the chrome and mess with the accuracy, so I didn’t want to mess with it.

And I’ve run a lot of adjustable gas blocks and I set up several of my friends adjustable gas blocks and we get them to run super reliably and still be smooth as hell regardless of gas system length.

Last edited: