• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

White Oak Armament .224 Valkyrie Barrel Problems

hewhofightsfoo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2018
Howdy,

New here to sniper's hide, first post. I recently acquired a .224 Valkyrie upper from my father-in-law who "...couldn't get it to shoot or cycle right." The barrel is the 24" 1:7 Varmint barrel ( https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...224-valkyrie-24-1-7-twist-varmint-barrel.html ) with the accompanying tube, low-pro gas block, and a WOA .224 Valkyrie bolt (bolt only). After shooting a few dozen rounds of both factory ammo and handloads, he noticed the rifle began to intermittently short-stroke , fail to extract, and we noticed some of the primers were actually punctured/pitted. At first we assumed it was a gas and/or pressure problem. After tuning loads and poking around (to no avail) I took it into a gunsmith. Today I picked it up, and he had some interesting comments...

First, he said the chamber (around the throat and shoulder) we were very gunked up/fouled. As a result, the round was chambering about 4/1000's of an inch back from where it should be. This, combined with the recoil of the round, was pushing the primers (and round) back into the firing pin, thus pitting/puncturing the primers. I was surprised at this since, in total, this barrel has less than 160 rounds through it. Next, after thoroughly cleaning the chamber and barrel, the gunsmith used a bore scope to check out the chamber and barrel. He commented that the chamber appeared very rough, unfinished, and un-polished. Overall, he felt it was an unacceptable QC job on the part of WOA. Finally, he fired 15 rounds of Federal factory ammo (I left him two boxes of 20) and noted that each one showed significant scoring/rubbing from about 3/8" from the base of the cartridge all the way up. He said this confirmed his theory of a poorly polished/rough chamber. The primers, however, were properly struck in each piece of brass, confirming to him that the cleaning procedure worked and the round was seating properly.

I wrote WOA an email tonight explaining what the gunsmith told me. We will see how they respond. I noticed on their website they do not allow customers to post reviews of products, unlike Palmetto State and some others who do allow it. This irked me a little. The only reviews I see for them are on forums, and the majority of those posts are responses to the one or two people that have them, not from the owners themselves. The sampling pool is small. I'm curious if anyone else has ever dealt with WOA's customer service? Additionally, has anyone experienced a similar problem as I described with a .224, or any other barrel from WOA? Does the gunsmith's feedback seem accurate? What follow-on questions would you ask? How often do you clean your performance caliber AR platforms vs. your battle rifle AR's? Any other overall comments/experiences with .224 Valkyrie WOA barrels. Thanks.

I've had 10+ WOA. All were lazers except for 1 which they replaced right away no problem. The replacement was a tack driver. Nothing but great experience with WOA.

Reactions: FishDr
I've also had nothing but good experiences with WOA over the years.

I would give them a chance to address the issue before assuming they won't work with you.

Last edited:
I have the exact same WOA barrel as you and have had no issues what so ever. I did however have to change to a low profile gas block to accommodate my Seekins handguard.

As noted, several WOA’s and no issues. Their good people, get in touch with them.

Thanks all for the feedback on WOA. Someone above suggested that it would be good to give them a chance to address the issue before assuming they wouldn't work with me on it. I agree. No assumptions here. Simply questions. I did contact them, and they responded fairly quickly, emailed me a free UPS shipping label, also asked if I would send my upper as well for them to run the whole system and see if they can ID any additional problem. I'm interested in seeing if they agree with the gunsmiths diagnosis, or if they discover some other cause. Will update when I know more...

Prob best that they don’t have a space for reviews so people can’t go leave bad reviews without giving them a chance to address the problem.....
That may be why they don't have reviews, I'm not sure. In my mind, however, bad reviews could offer insightful information on unknown anomalies in production. Could be of benefit to the company in addition to the consumer. Despite buying a faulty product, I personally would still give the product 5 stars if the company took care of the issue for me. May actually bring in more business...

Reactions: mkihne
Have been running WOA uppers & replacement barrels on my XC HP AR15s for many years - legged-out & earned my Distinguished Rifleman badge with a WOA upper, plus won a couple of state SR championships with the same upper. Have personally met & visited with John Holliger at SHOT a couple of times. I have nothing but positive experience with him & his company, and am sure they'll take care of you.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I built a 224 Valkrie to play with and for some long range prairie doggin. I used an Aero Precision upper, PSA MOE & STR lower, and a 24" WOA barrel, Toolcraft nickel boron BCG. It turned out amazing. It shoots every powder listed accurately, with consistent .5 and under 100 yard groups. CFE 223 gave the best velocity, so that is what I use. Hornady 75 gr BTHP are inexpensive and accurate, so they are what I am shooting. I never even tried any other bullet yet. My other rifles, and calibers are very picky about powder and charge weights, but this thing just don't care. Too much powder and you get pressure signs, less and velocity drops, but accuracy stays great. I sure wish more of my rifles were like that. The action and barrel squareness, must be near perfect too, because after mounting a new VX3 scope, and Leupold mounts, the first 5 shots were in the black 1" bull. 1 lick R and 1 up and the final zero was done. In over 50 years of shooting, I have never been under 24 clicks from the center with a new scope. I believe the 224 Valkrie is a great target, and varmint round, but a little light for hunting. It sure was nice to put something together and have no problems. The gas block and tube came with the barrel.

IMO it's best to contact the company and see what they say since they ARE the ones that can actually do something about the problem. Shit happens, things slip through. Give them a chance to correct the issue before jumping on a forum to bitch because the people here can't do a thing about your problem. Some people here know that 20 years ago or more there were really only 3 places to get custom AR barrels made. Most considered Frank White, John Holliger(owner WOA) and Derrick Martin were the 3 best AR smiths in the country. At this point in time for maybe the last 10-15 years WOA probably sells more high-power competition barrels than any other manufacturer in the country. I am a manufacturer. I don't know John as in "hey lets go grab a beer" but I have talked to him quite a few times over the years and I know what he expects from his barrels and he would not intentionally let a barrel through like you describe.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I have had only one WOA barrel (out of several I have been aroundl) give less than acceptable results. It still shot well, but not the 3/4” or less expected. It was exchanged immediately and the replacement is the most accurate AR-15 Barrel I’ve ever shot. Multiple loads at 1/2-3/4, and a few loads that are real hummers, significantly less than 1/2 (thanks Padom!).