• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

White oak armament SPR barrels?

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
I'm working on a mk12-ish build and was gonna get a bartlein or kreiger barrel from compass lake. But WOA is having a black friday deal on their SPR barrels for less than half the price of a CLE. Seems like both companies are highly regarded here from what I've seen. Anyone know what blanks WOA uses or recommend one over the other? This would be running DMR/gas gun matches out to 700ish and just because I want a mk12.

WOA uses Wilson blanks but there's no free lunch when it comes to putting together a precision gas gun. The barrel is the heart of the system so if you can afford to get a Bartlein or Kreiger CLE barrel by all means do it, I doubt you're going to regret that decision. However, I don't believe you're going to get the same level of performance from a WOA SPR barrel as the CLE, all things being equal. WOA is no slouch, I've used their barrels quite a bit and in my experience they're a great value that will give you sub-MOA performance with factory match and be reliable.

Getting back to the DMR/gas gun match thing and the Mk12. If you haven't seen the thread yet, check this one out, it has some good insights into putting together a good small frame gas gun.

Last edited:
I just used a White Oak SPR 18" barrel to win 1st Overall at the Quantified Performance Bill Guesman Memorial Match. Targets from 150-1050 yards, and beat all other shooters, including those running large frame 6.5cm, JPs, KACs, etc.

My barrels have run 69 SMK, 77 SMK, and 77 Berger OTMs fantastically, with regular accuracy <0.5 MOA.

Only question is whether you are capable of shooting that with a gas gun.

WOA uses Wilson blanks but there's no free lunch when it comes to putting together a precision gas gun. The barrel is the heart of the system so if you can afford to get a Bartlein or Kreiger CLE barrel by all means do it, I doubt you're going to regret that decision. However, I don't believe you're going to get the same level of performance from a WOA SPR barrel as the CLE, all things being equal. WOA is no slouch, I've used their barrels quite a bit and in my experience they're a great value that will give you sub-MOA performance with factory match and be reliable.

Getting back to the DMR/gas gun match thing and the Mk12. If you haven't seen the thread yet, check this one out, it has some good insights into putting together a good small frame gas gun.

CLE are great but WOA has always been a step above CLE.
that 200.00 spr will be a great barrel and buy a matched bolt with it.

Really? That kind of surprises me to be honest. I'll be the first to admit I've never used a CLE barrel but the way they're regarded made it seem as if they're second to none. I've used WOA barrels plenty because they were affordable, fit my needs and were readily available and don't regret that. I'm genuinely curious why you'd put a CLE barrel made from a cut rifled blank a step behind a WOA barrel made from a button rifled blank?

Reactions: Snuby642
Really? That kind of surprises me to be honest. I'll be the first to admit I've never used a CLE barrel but the way they're regarded made it seem as if they're second to none. I've used WOA barrels plenty because they were affordable, fit my needs and were readily available and don't regret that. I'm genuinely curious why you'd put a CLE barrel made from a cut rifled blank a step behind a WOA barrel made from a button rifled blank?
I am not comparing a WOA house barrel to a bartlin blank spun by either company. WOA and CLE both offer the same barrels.

I would put my WOA against any of the other SPR/MK12 barrels on the market. and we have tried just about all the ones out there. In the end, ammo is the deciding factor in pure accuracy of the barrels.

Keystone accuracy makes a nice barrel as well. WOA is very good and is priced better than anything else comparable on the market.

I just used a White Oak SPR 18" barrel to win 1st Overall at the Quantified Performance Bill Guesman Memorial Match. Targets from 150-1050 yards, and beat all other shooters, including those running large frame 6.5cm, JPs, KACs, etc.

My barrels have run 69 SMK, 77 SMK, and 77 Berger OTMs fantastically, with regular accuracy <0.5 MOA.

Last sentence says it all........................

You won't go wrong with a WOA, Wilson blank barrel & it will likely be sub-moa, & I have several, but in absolute terms, it likely won't fully be the equal of a Bartlien or a Kreiger or a Rock Creek barrel, whether it's done by WOA, CLE or Craddock Precision.

JMHO

MM

Last sentence says it all........................

You won't go wrong with a WOA, Wilson blank barrel & it will likely be sub-moa, & I have several, but in absolute terms, it likely won't fully be the equal of a Bartlien or a Kreiger or a Rock Creek barrel, whether it's done by WOA, CLE or Craddock Precision.

JMHO

MM

If price and availability weren't considerations, I'd absolutely prefer a Bartlein barrel every time. Having said that, the WOA barrels shoot fantastic for something that can be picked up from stocking dealers with no wait time (usually).

Reactions: TheOE800

Congrats on the win.

Reactions: LV Precision
WOA with the Wilson barrels tend to be really good especially for the cost. I’m pretty sure JP and Cooper use Wilson barrels. CLE, Keystone, WOP and Croddock use premium blanks. White Oak Precision (a division of WOA) sources premium barrels from Kreiger and Bartlein. John who owns WOA & WOP is an accomplishment competitive service rifle shooter and is as good as anyone at finishing and chambering a barrel.

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC and RayDBonz
Johnny's reloading bench on youtube uses WOA barrels in his 223 videos. Lots of content there, summary is they shoot above what you would expect for a $200 barrel. If I ever want a precision gas gun, WOA.

I have a WOA SPR contour barrel on my Mk12 Mod 0 and a Bartlein SPR on my Knights SR 15. Both shoot sub MOA groups, with each giving me a few 1 hole groups over the years with my handloads. My 12th model fit better on the WOA without needing any additional machine work to get the proper thread engagement on the suppressor. The Bartlein maintains slightly better groups once It gets hot. Both are excellent barrels.

diiga37.jpg

YWmWrBP.jpg

CLE are great but WOA has always been a step above CLE.
that 200.00 spr will be a great barrel and buy a matched bolt with it.
I am not sure where you get your information. CLE turns Douglas, Bartlein, Criterion, Kreiger and maybe a blank I missed. To the best of my knowledge, WOA does not offer different blanks, and each of these blanks is superior to a Wilson blank. WOA makes a quality barrel, but CLE barrels are a cut above, in my opinion, and we buy from many, many barrel shops.

If I had the cash to throw around I'd go with a bartlein from CLE. But I don't. I just ordered a 20" WOA varmint barrel. If the WOA barrel isn't in stock it's going to be between 12 to 16 week wait, same for CLE from what I'm seeing.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna go with a CLE bartlein or Kreiger. This is gonna be another buy once cry once build so I wanna do it right.

Reactions: bigjake83
I am not sure where you get your information. CLE turns Douglas, Bartlein, Criterion, Kreiger and maybe a blank I missed. To the best of my knowledge, WOA does not offer different blanks, and each of these blanks is superior to a Wilson blank. WOA makes a quality barrel, but CLE barrels are a cut above, in my opinion, and we buy from many, many barrel shops.
A 5 second search on their site would show that they offer bartlin, krieger, shilen… exc.. and A deeper search would show that their barrels win competitions. But your part of Charlies Customs Soo……

Reactions: moosemeat
If I had the cash to throw around I'd go with a bartlein from CLE. But I don't. I just ordered a 20" WOA varmint barrel. If the WOA barrel isn't in stock it's going to be between 12 to 16 week wait, same for CLE from what I'm seeing.
I’ve been seeing an 6-8 week turnaround on their house barrel but that was before this BF.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
I’ve been seeing an 6-8 week turnaround on their house barrel but that was before this BF.
Yeah I haven't ordered from CLE that was just on the website. My invoice from WOA says 12-16 weeks. That would be awesome if it's 6-8 weeks. Hopefully you didn't get my hopes up! 😂

I got one from Brownell’s with a coupon a few weeks ago (ended up being about the same price as the Black Friday deal)
Haven’t had time to work up a load for it yet, but it was shooting nice groups with some cheap 55gr plinking ammo I had around. Seems promising so well.

So I ordered a WOA, 3 gun 1.9 lb barrel on 11/20. It said out of stock, but shipped 3 days later.

It was by far the tightest to fit the GB. They design it like that to minimize gas leakage and include a note saying use emery cloth to take a little of as needed. I just tapped it on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dildobaggins
All of my WOA barrels have been tight on the gas journal but I've never received one with a note saying to use an emery cloth. I heat the gas block up a bit with a torch and they usually go on with a little persuasion.

All of my WOA barrels have been tight on the gas journal but I've never received one with a note saying to use an emery cloth. I heat the gas block up a bit with a torch and they usually go on with a little persuasion.
This came with the barrel.

WOA GB fitting.jpg

I chose to sand the inside of my gas block instead of the barrel. Just took a few revolutions with high grit and it tapped on snug.

I jumped on the pirate day sale and got my 2 barrels in like 6 weeks, less than half quoted time. So far they look good, but haven’t tested them yet. They appear to have a slightly oversized extension as they fit snug(needing a good thunk) into an aero receiver. I liked that.

Both woa and compass lake have been more than helpful in my calls to them and both met or bettered quoted time for me. CLE cut a rock blank for me this spring. If the woa barrels shoot close to what that shoots I’ll be thrilled for the $. I have high expectations they will get close.

I actually just put the barrel in the freezer and gas block in the toaster oven. Still a little hard to get on, but it went without having to tap on it or sanding anything.

Reactions: DangerRanger
So I ordered a WOA, 3 gun 1.9 lb barrel on 11/20. It said out of stock, but shipped 3 days later.

It was by far the tightest to fit the GB. They design it like that to minimize gas leakage and include a note saying use emery cloth to take a little of as needed. I just tapped it on.

I also emailed to ask what the recommended offset for the GB was and they said mount it flush to the shoulder.
WOA's definitely on the large size for the GB journal.............. with those barrels, I usually just use a low profile, clamp on GB like an SLR..............no fuss, no muss.

MM

Reactions: stevieb92
I'll probably go back and run the GB against the shoulder. I did the toothpick trick and was happy with its movement.

Its range ready now, but I wasn't to give it a PRS Lite when those come out (Luth AR on it now).

I'll probably go back and run the GB against the shoulder. I did the toothpick trick and was happy with its movement.

SOP for me is to actually measure the gas port location from the journal shoulder & then measure the gas block's hole location relative to the back surface & place it accordingly, but with a dimpled barrel, unless you choose not to use a screw in the dimpled location, you are pretty much locked in to where that dimple set screw located the GB on the barrel.

With a clamp on GB, you can put it wherever you need to put it.

I've never seen a rail that SLR's clamp on (.750") GB wouldn't fit under.

MM

Reactions: long range sponge
Ok, I previously posted I contacted White Oak and they said run the GB against the shoulder.

That has been deleted. I accidentally contacted Compass Lake, and they said that.

Oops.

Not really pertinent for the OP, but my mk12 ish rifle has a Noveske match 18" bbl w/ switchblock and it shoots lights out. Used my kac Xmas cheer upper and lower from back in the silencer talk days.

I love that stick. But I really still want a PRI gen2 upper because.....reasons.

I would love to hear how the project turns out!

Just shot it for the first time today. About 30 rounds of 62gr FMJ and a couple mags worth of my 77gr SMK pet load. Very happy with the accuracy and the build. Shot MOA or better with the SMKs and 1-1.5 MOA with FMJ. Now I just need to get an OCM5 for this.

Attachments

• D4D60EA5-0CBE-4639-883C-AB556C779E41.jpeg
    D4D60EA5-0CBE-4639-883C-AB556C779E41.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 144
Very nice...............did you end up with the Bartlien or the Krieger?

MM

Very nice...............did you end up with the Bartlien or the Krieger?

MM
Thank you sir. Bartlein 1/7.7 twist with CLE chamber and matched bolt. They had one in stock already spun up so I got it within a week. Glad I didnt have to deal with the lead times

Yes, they have some "standard" contours available for quick ship most of the time, as long as you are willing to take one of those.

CLE's work is consistently as good as anyone's, they have solid blank selection & they are reasonably easy to deal with.

Paul Craddock (Craddock Precision) is another great source, but lead times have gotten almost unbearable as his OEM business has exploded.

MM

Reactions: bllistc
Just got an email from White Oak about 30% off, think they are trying to move stuff in their clearance section.