• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

White Oak Precison Upper or Complete Les Baer CMP?

Papagallos

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
South Texas, United States
An uncle of mine gave me his brand new Stag Lower. I've recently shown great interest in Service Rifle shooting. My options are to buy a complete SR Upper form White Oak Precision or just buy a complete rifle, specifically Les Baer's CMP rifle.

I'd be saving a lot of money if I go with the former option. But there's something about owning a Les that I'm drawn more to the latter option. I've never shot a Les before, and I've read that they are overpriced items. But I've also read that they are worth every penny, and they shoot lights out.

Does anyone on here have any experience with a Les Baer CMP?

On the other hand, WOP uppers are outstanding. I've been shooting my friends WOP upper with a RRA lower, and I absolutely like it. The trigger is rather shitty, but it's something that he is replacing. So, I can probably buy a Geiselle two-stage trigger for the Stag Lower and work it that way.

Any thoughts?

Re: White Oak Precison Upper or Complete Les Baer CMP?

Get the Les Baer. I have a WOP upper on order and it's already going to take 8 weeks. Don't want any more delays!

While the Les Baer CMP rifles (and all of their products for that matter) are very nice indeed, extremely well-made and very accurate...they are NOT $3200 nice for a service rifle unless you just have unlimited funds.

You can pick up a complete, ready to go out and compete, WOA Service Rifle upper for around $700 equipped with the sight options you want/need. In my experience, the WOA upper will run every bit as well as the LB when used with a properly tuned lower/trigger (and of course, the person operating the rifle)!
wink.gif

If you already have a decent lower that you can equip with a proper trigger (Geissele NM Service Rifle) that you got for free, you can basically have a highly competitive Service Rifle for around the $1k mark which is a STEAL (maybe a hundred or so more if the lower is stripped and you also need a LPK minus the trigger, plus a grip and buttstock/stock parts...plus you'll need a good sling and other SR equipment, but you'd need that with the Baer too). You aren't getting 3x the rifle with the Baer, so why spend 3x the money (again...unless you just have the money to spend and you want the "honor/privilege" of owning the Baer)?!?!

$3200 for an A2 service rifle is an absolute joke - Les Baer is smoking crack. It will not outshone a WOP no matter what he does to it. John Holliger is one of the country's best SR shooters and he understands what one needs to win. Go out to Camp Perry and see what the best shooters shoot. Then, tell them you are thinking of spending $3200 on a Baer and see what kind of reactions you get. In fact, I've never heard of anyone at all shooting one of his SR's and at that price I can understand why.

For many people, part of the appeal of SR competition is that you don't need to spend a fortune to be competitive. In all honesty, until you get to the HM level, you will not be able to outshoot even an out of the box RRA NM rifle, nor will you notice an accuracy difference. Buy the WOP and the Geisselle NM, and be happy that he best that money can buy can be had for so little cash.

Good luck,
Erik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3200 for an A2 service rifle is an absolute joke - Les Baer is smoking crack. It will not outshone a WOP no matter what he does to it. John Holliger is one of the country's best SR shooters and he understands what one needs to win. Go out to Camp Perry and see what the best shooters shoot. Then, tell them you are thinking of spending $3200 on a Baer and see what kind of reactions you get. In fact, I've never heard of anyone at all shooting one of his SR's and at that price I can understand why.

For many people, part of the appeal of SR competition is that you don't need to spend a fortune to be competitive. In all honesty, until you get to the HM level, you will not be able to outshoot even an out of the box RRA NM rifle, nor will you notice an accuracy difference. Buy the WOP and the Geisselle NM, and be happy that he best that money can buy can be had for so little cash.

Good luck,
Erik </div></div>

Thanks for the honest advice. It's exactly what I was feeling as well. I just needed someone to steer my stupid mind away from wanting to spend more money. I have that problem.
laugh.gif

WOP it is!!!!!!!
grin.gif

If money is no object go with the Les Baer. but even champion shooters would find it difficult to see a difference between a White oak built, or a Frank White compass lake built rifle.
It comes down to barrel twist and bullets for 600 yards if your intent is to shoot high power.

arborpro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the Les Baer CMP rifles (and all of their products for that matter) are very nice indeed, extremely well-made and very accurate...they are NOT $3200 nice for a service rifle unless you just have unlimited funds.

You can pick up a complete, ready to go out and compete, WOA Service Rifle upper for around $700 equipped with the sight options you want/need. In my experience, the WOA upper will run every bit as well as the LB when used with a properly tuned lower/trigger (and of course, the person operating the rifle)!
wink.gif

If you already have a decent lower that you can equip with a proper trigger (Geissele NM Service Rifle) that you got for free, you can basically have a highly competitive Service Rifle for around the $1k mark which is a STEAL (maybe a hundred or so more if the lower is stripped and you also need a LPK minus the trigger, plus a grip and buttstock/stock parts...plus you'll need a good sling and other SR equipment, but you'd need that with the Baer too). You aren't getting 3x the rifle with the Baer, so why spend 3x the money (again...unless you just have the money to spend and you want the "honor/privilege" of owning the Baer)?!?! </div></div>

Agree! What do you think about the Stag Lower? Decent for SR shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the Les Baer CMP rifles (and all of their products for that matter) are very nice indeed, extremely well-made and very accurate...they are NOT $3200 nice for a service rifle unless you just have unlimited funds.

wink.gif

If you already have a decent lower that you can equip with a proper trigger (Geissele NM Service Rifle) that you got for free, you can basically have a highly competitive Service Rifle for around the $1k mark which is a STEAL (maybe a hundred or so more if the lower is stripped and you also need a LPK minus the trigger, plus a grip and buttstock/stock parts...plus you'll need a good sling and other SR equipment, but you'd need that with the Baer too). You aren't getting 3x the rifle with the Baer, so why spend 3x the money (again...unless you just have the money to spend and you want the "honor/privilege" of owning the Baer)?!?! </div></div>

Agree! What do you think about the Stag Lower? Decent for SR shooting? </div></div>

Your lower makes absolutely no difference as long as it is an A2 configuration and eithin specs. Only exception might be if the fit to the upper is really sloppy or something, and even that is arguable as far as having an affect on accuracy. Put a good trigger in it and you're ready to go.

I am well aware of the specified requirements. But the fit is my only concern. My friends WOP upper fit perfect on his RRA lower. I hope it will be the same for the Stag.

And, yes, I know, accuracy effect can be argued, but I would still prefer an upper to lower fit that isn't sloppy.

Thanks for the responses.

Here's my observation, it's the Indian not the arrow. I have experience with a few of the concepts tossed out here; and, I see them like peas in a pod. My current SR uses a WOP pinned sight and WOP float tube. It has a Douglas SS 1 in 7 barrel turned and chambered by CLE, using CLE chamber. I like the CLE windage adjustable a-frame. I have several triggers, but none has performed as well as the incredibly fast Geissele Automatic. I assembled this gun for about $1300.00. With irons from prone sling supported position a recent outing produced a score of 198-17 on the MR-31. I was shooting my actual 1000 yard load, 24. 8 grains of Re-15 under an 80 grain Berger loaded in massaged virgin Winchester cases primed with WSR's.

I think there are production guns out there that I could probably shoot as well with my match loads. One that comes to mind is the DPMS CMP Rifle, which appears to me to be built very well. I've sold about 50 of these rifles at the store where I work part time in Louisville; and, so far, folks seem very pleased with them. They have very good, but inexpensive barrels. In one practice session with a junior shooter, who was taking his new DPMS rifle to the National Matches, I witnessed him shoot 5 consecutive rounds into one hole barely bigger than the diameter of the first bullet passing through the 100 yard target.

At any rate, I too think the LB SR is insanely priced. Why pay more if there is no benefit. Remember they all shoot a bullet in the direction they're pointed. For cleans with any, just properly point the rifle with consistent sight alignment; and, pull the trigger utilizing smooth trigger control.

BTW, a tight upper to lower fit may make you proud, but, is meaningless to accuracy. As I understand it, the USAMU welded some loose receivers shut and compared results against the receivers while they were still loose. No measurable difference in outcomes, so no more fixes for something not worth fixing.

I would rank Stag Arms lowers in roughly the same class as RRA based on what I have seen from them in terms of fit/finish. I have not seen a Stag lower that is out-of-spec which is what really matters. A little bit of play in the upper/lower fitment isn't going to hurt a thing and I am sure it won't be a problem with a WOA upper and your Stag lower.

Just got back from shooting with my friend again. I'm definitely going the WOP route. Geiselle trigger order will soon be placed as well. Thank you all for the guidance.

That would be my vote, White Oak upper with Geiselle trigger.

Also its hard to beat White Oaks service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be my vote, White Oak upper with Geiselle trigger.

Also its hard to beat White Oaks service. </div></div>

10-4, Sir. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With irons from prone sling supported position a recent outing produced a score of 198-17 on the MR-31. </div></div>

Prone sling supported? Come on, Sterling Shooter, that's a mighty honest statement.

I'd expect "prone unsupported" from a guy with your credentials.

Have you thought about collecting an upper and a couple pieces and sending it to Krieger to be built up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With irons from prone sling supported position a recent outing produced a score of 198-17 on the MR-31. </div></div>

Prone sling supported? Come on, Sterling Shooter, that's a mighty honest statement.

I'd expect "prone unsupported" from a guy with your credentials.

</div></div>

Hey, it takes one to know one.

i'm working on it...

The Baer will simply shoot .25 MOA. Most have a 1/2 moa garentee, but all I have shot do much better. And that is quite a few. The others are just sub MOA at best. White Oak will likely do as well as the Baer, but you still need a lower to match it and trigger, I would just go with the package, if you can. Have no doubt about the Baer, it will shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Baer will simply shoot .25 MOA. Most have a 1/2 moa garentee, but all I have shot do much better. And that is quite a few. The others are just sub MOA at best. White Oak will likely do as well as the Baer, but you still need a lower to match it and trigger, I would just go with the package, if you can. Have no doubt about the Baer, it will shoot. </div></div>

It better shoot for $3200. I am guessing you aren't a HP shooter? The WOP upper will hang with any upper out there. At any rate, try to tell the difference between a 1/4MOA rifle and a 1MOA rifle while shooting from position with a sling and irons. I bet you don't see a difference in scores, much less $1500 difference...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Baer will simply shoot .25 MOA. Most have a 1/2 moa garentee, but all I have shot do much better. And that is quite a few. The others are just sub MOA at best. White Oak will likely do as well as the Baer, but you still need a lower to match it and trigger, I would just go with the package, if you can. Have no doubt about the Baer, it will shoot. </div></div>

It better shoot for $3200. I am guessing you aren't a HP shooter? The WOP upper will hang with any upper out there. At any rate, try to tell the difference between a 1/4MOA rifle and a 1MOA rifle while shooting from position with a sling and irons. I bet you don't see a difference in scores, much less $1500 difference...</div></div>

There it is! I don't have the complete upper but I do have a WOA 1:7 barrel and it's a tack driver.

I am not a HP shooter but do a great deal of LR shooting with LB AR in .223 and 20 tac. Varmint, coyote, crow and deer culling along with target shooting to 800 yards. About 10,000 RDS per year for many years. No bench shooting. Now about exclusively with LB AR's. I shoot sling, prone with optical sights. I can darn sure tell the difference with that set up. I also see no advantage to less accuracy. I do think WO makes a good upper or rifle. I just see no advantage to less accuracy. I competed for many years all over the world in another shooting disipline and would not go to the line without the best equiptment made. My time is worth more than that. It is a personal decision, this is just my opinion.

You are missing the point - there is no less accuracy - only less cost. You are paying over double the cost for Les Baer's name on a rifle that will shoot no better than the WOP.

Erud,
You said, I could not tell if a rifle shot .25 MOA or 1 MOA. That is my point, I did not miss it. I did not see anyone saying that the WOP will shoot .25moa, only that it did not matter. My Baer super varmints shoot 1.5-3" at 600 yards on a still day. 5 shot groups. That is worth something to me. It may not be to you. Or your WOP may do it as well. I purchased most of my Baers on the net and paid from 1500 to 2100 all new, you just need to wait and be paitent. Just purchased a new super varmint for 1500. It has not arrived yet. If you like WOP, by all means get one.

I have zero experience with LB, but I do know what makes an AR shoot, it's the barrel, trigger, massaged ammunition, small aperture, 1/4 minute sight adjustments, and, of course, a float tube. Since I know the ingredients for a winning cake and can bake for myself, there's no way I'm going to buy a LB, although I'm sure it's a good rifle. Since I never actually see these rifles in HP events, I assume they're consumed by folks who want an accurate rifle but have no interest in competition, or they're well healed and just getting into competition. Thing is, no matter how well built they are after about 3000 rounds the rifle will need to be re-barreled for the best x-count at 600. So, what are you gonna do send it back to LB for re-barreling?

Sterling,
What size is the X ring and 10 ring on the 600 yard target?
RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about collecting an upper and a couple pieces and sending it to Krieger to be built up? </div></div>

Yes. However, I've decided to go the WOP route. Based on the posts made here by, which I assume, some very experienced shooters, and further research I've done, I believe I've made the right decision. Besides, I'm a newbie.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sterling,
RTH </div></div>

Am I allowed to answer this?

The 600 yard target has a 6 inch X ring and 12 inch 10 ring. To shoot cleans in NRA Highpower competition, all you have to do is hold 2 moa. That's why we see so many perfect scores. Ha...that's sarcasm my boy! Perfect scores are very rare.
Last perfect in Service Rifle was back in 1975 at Camp Perry...with an m14 and issue ammo!

NRA targets are basically 2moa. Basically. Sort of. The 200 and 300 have the same scoring rings: 7 inch 10 ring. But the 300 has an extra ring width of aiming black for better visibility at 300.

So the 200 is a little bigger than 2 moa because it's shot offhand. And the 300 is a little more forgiving because it's shot rapid prone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sterling,
RTH </div></div>

Am I allowed to answer this?

The 600 yard target has a 6 inch X ring and 12 inch 10 ring. To shoot cleans in NRA Highpower competition, all you have to do is hold 2 moa. That's why we see so many perfect scores. Ha...that's sarcasm my boy! Perfect scores are very rare.
Last perfect in Service Rifle was back in 1975 at Camp Perry...with an m14 and issue ammo!

</div></div>

My last clean was at Camp Perry too, back in 2003, LR National Matches 600 yard match 531. But with just 9 X's, I only came in 4th place.

Thank you both for the info. I would enjoy shooting it but time is tough to find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you both for the info. I would enjoy shooting it but time is tough to find. </div></div>

I have two very well trained German Shorthair Pointers and about 20 farms I hunt in Iowa. It was either give up bird hunting or shooting.

Since shooting is more than just shooting (2nd amendment,constituion, tyranny etc...) I gave up the bird hunting.

We have an obligation to our God, our family and our country to be good shooters.

hi,
I shoot almost daily and have an 800 yard range in my backyard. I shoot prone, offhand, sitting and no BR. I have difficulty traveling to shoots due to time constraints. I also have another shooting sport that I was a top competitor in and shot all over the world. For me time is just tough now. I agree about the obligation to be good shooters.

Well folks, I'm not giving up my bird huntin. I've got a 16 year old English Setter that still begs me to go everytime he sees me put my huntin boots on.

Show me a shooter who can CONSISTANTLY shoot .25 MOA groups with a SERVICE RIFLE, no scopes guys. IF you take the money you save by purchasing a WOP upper and put it towards ammo and practice your going to be a better shooter than a guy who spends an obscene amount of money thinking it will buy him points. That is a fact of NRA/CMP service rifle shooting. And who is to says one of John's uppers wont shoot .25 MOA?

I've gotta tell ya, points can come from everywhere: the shooter, rifle, and ammunition. I look to make the target bigger any way it's possible. I do know what you're saying; however, and, for sure, it's the picture memory/motor memory that separates the winners from also rans.

Awhile back in 2002, I was at Oak Ridge shooting in a 600 yard prone event. I saw a guy with what looked like a 36 inch barrel on his sleeved M700 chambered for 6.5/284. I remarked, he had a rifle that looked like it could win all by itself. My remark prompted him to show me how to to it. He did not know I already knew a little bit about it. At any rate, I won all three matches that day, and LOL, I thanked that guy for showing me how to do it, interrupting his excuses to other lingering shooters where he was heard to be complaining about the strange wind or something that ended his grand plan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotta tell ya, points can come from everywhere: the shooter, rifle, and ammunition. I look to make the target bigger any way it's possible. I do know what you're saying; however, and, for sure, it's the picture memory/motor memory that separates the winners from also rans.

Awhile back in 2002, I was at Oak Ridge shooting in a 600 yard prone event. I saw a guy with what looked like a 36 inch barrel on his sleeved M700 chambered for 6.5/284. I remarked, he had a rifle that looked like it could win all by itself. My remark prompted him to show me how to to it. He did not know I already knew a little bit about it. At any rate, I won all three matches that day, and LOL, I thanked that guy for showing me how to do it, interrupting his excuses to other lingering shooters where he was heard to be complaining about the strange wind or something that ended his grand plan. </div></div>

What I am saying is the Les Baer is I am sure a good rifle but the money spent versus a WOP upper is a waste for what you get. Now if someone wants to spend that kind of money I dont care but what you get from John, in the right hands, can win every cross the course match out there. I am trying to keep this conversation in context. We are not shooting varmits with a scope but shooting at a 2 MOA target with iron sights

I know a person or two in the HP SR community. The only one I know of that shoots a LB is someone that gets them for free.

That said, they do put shots in the center of the target. Nothing wrong with them other than the price.

10-4, Gentlemen!!!!! These side jabs you are taking at each other is quite educational. I'm learning a lot. Keep it going.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10-4, Gentlemen!!!!! These side jabs you are taking at each other is quite educational. I'm learning a lot. Keep it going.
grin.gif
</div></div>

No side jabs here, just being straight forward and honest. Trust me I have wasted enough money chasing gadgets. Some worked some did not but spending an extra $1800.00 on a rifle just aint worth it for a $40.00 award check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotta tell ya, points can come from everywhere: the shooter, rifle, and ammunition. I look to make the target bigger any way it's possible. I do know what you're saying; however, and, for sure, it's the picture memory/motor memory that separates the winners from also rans.

Awhile back in 2002, I was at Oak Ridge shooting in a 600 yard prone event. I saw a guy with what looked like a 36 inch barrel on his sleeved M700 chambered for 6.5/284. I remarked, he had a rifle that looked like it could win all by itself. My remark prompted him to show me how to to it. He did not know I already knew a little bit about it. At any rate, I won all three matches that day, and LOL, I thanked that guy for showing me how to do it, interrupting his excuses to other lingering shooters where he was heard to be complaining about the strange wind or something that ended his grand plan. </div></div>

Maybe that would've been me if I had decided to buy the Les Baer over the WOP. lol. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

If both rifles were scoped and shot for score by the same shooter.
I would be very surprised if there were any tangible difference in score, and I'd put my money on the WOA to win.
Take the scopes away, and even the DPMS with their snafu chamber job, and a crappy ER shaw barrel (in the right hands) has the potential to win.
John H certainly has far, far more experience building SR uppers.
The WOA upper has been the gold standard SR upper for a while now.
You'd be paying more for Les.

A friend of mine was going to purchase a Les baer 1911.
They were rude to him on the phone so he didn't buy.
(+1 for capitalism)

rumor has it theres a WOA service rifle upper fer sale here that you seek

WOP? no.....WOA? all the way....this shouldnt even be a question...should just be known as fact