• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

White Oak SDM vs McGowen fluted HBAR vs ?

Fanon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2020
So I'm putting together a precision-ish AR with decent components (SSA-E, captured buffer spring, Radian stuff, Brownells MPO 3-18) and I need a good 223 Wylde barrel to replace the factory leftover placeholder barrel. I'm looking for 16"-18" (leaning toward 16 as it'll ultimately be suppressed and I want it to be fairly handy). I want it to shoot at least .75MOA with 77gr SMKs, but obviously better would be nice.

Here's the catch - to be legal in Maryland, it has to stamped or marketed as "heavy" or "HBAR" (yeah I know).

So far the options I've found are a 16" White Oak SDM ($390) or a McGowen HBAR ($310 for fluted, could either go 16" mid or 18" rifle gas).

Between these, what would you choose? Is there something else I should be looking at instead? TIA.

Get what you want and pay the barrel manufacturer $20 to engrave HBAR on whatever you get.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Yeah some of them will do that, and if there's a better option I should be using I'll try it. These two are in the price range I'm looking at - anything else that folks think would be better for the money? Any reason to go WOA over McGowen given the lower price of the latter?

Any reason to go WOA over McGowen given the lower price of the latter?
Yeah. WOA work and I've never, ever heard a review of a McGowen AR barrel. A non-fluted 16" WOA SPR is not that heavy. The 18" fluted SPR is $335. All WOA would probably be cheaper if A) Brownells had any in stock and B) they were on sale. Are you hung up on weight? You could run a lighter scope.

I believe Odin uses McGowen blanks, which is how I found them initially. They generally get good reviews, but I guess it'd be taking a bigger risk.

I believe Odin uses McGowen blanks, which is how I found them initially. They generally get good reviews, but I guess it'd be taking a bigger risk.
I have one Odin Works barrel and it seems to be accurate although I bought it as more of a blaster. I'm just saying that there's a lot of people on this site, and probably others, that would agree that WOA will easily meet your accuracy requirement. You could definitely say the owner knows about competing in service rifle with AR rifles.

I have a 16” WOA SDM, it seems to meet your requirements, and I would recommend it. I’m not the best semi shooter but here’s 10 from finalizing load development. I found that a max charge of XBR under either an SMK or TMK edged out anything else regardless of brass (various sorted LC).

296F0B78-44A9-45F5-A950-9919AF4E8FC4.jpeg

I think I've got 3 McGowens now, with another on the way. They're not Bartleins but they easily shoot decent ammo sub moa, which is all I need from a mid priced barrel. Not trying to tell you what to buy, just adding a data point.

Reactions: Fanon and Jsp556