• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing whitworth mauser extractor cut?

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
Is there supposed to be one? I have been doing a few old mausers for buddies and each had an extractor cut and a "nose" that went through the shoulder right in front of the lugs.

I finally got the barrel off of a whitworth mauser I am going to rebarrel and lo and behold the rear of the barrel is completely flat. I kinda looked at the bolt and it seems to be in about the same place in relation to the original mausers I have been toying with. I wish I had studied it a bit harder but got busy doing something else/

Re: whitworth mauser extractor cut?

The M-24 and M-48 (both intermediate) are the only two 98 Mausers I'm aware of that have the "safety" breech.

None of the 98 commercial Mausers, Zavasta/FN, etc. do.

Re: whitworth mauser extractor cut?

Thanks for the info. Here is what was confusing me. The barrel with the extractor cut is off an original mauser.....btw I am known for crappy cell phone pics but was in a hurry.

shanks.jpg

Other than the whitwoth interarms action having a little bump on one side of the boltface they are basically indentical.
actions2.jpg

It looks to me as if the original mauser supports more of the case than the aftermarket action.
actions.jpg