• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Whitworth??

Jord21

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hi there,

I just made a new member post in the Bear Pit, but I also wanted to post info in the bolt action section about my Whitworth and maybe someone would have some more info on it??

Basically what I know is its a Whitworth *unknown* that I inherited also from my late neighbor. I know that Interarms imported a bunch of old P14's that Zastava had worked up and turned them into Interarm Mark "X" but this one doesn't have any of the Zastava markings on the side of the receiver. It says Whiteworth Rifle Company, Manchester England on the top of the Barrel. Also on the side of the barrel just before the receiver it has the serial # along with 30.06/2.494", The Kings crown (I think) which I think means it has been tested. Along with BN 18 tons per *square symbol* and then B|B

I know for a fact its not an interarms since it has none of the importing markings and if you have seen an IA MK X there is a different modern style safety. You can see that this safety looks like a P14 safety from WW1. I know it is a Mauser action with pretty beefy barrel (compared to my friends Savage 110 30.06, its a lot heavier and thicker). I also know that it was brought to Canada from Finland since that it where he bought it.

Does anyone have any info on this, since it doesnt even say a model number on it? It is registered in Canada as a Whitworth Sporter.

Thanks

Re: Whitworth??

Sorry; I know their rifles were VERY popular in the Civil War on the Confederate side, but that doesn't really help much with this one.
frown.gif

Interarms imported a bunch of mauser based Whitworth rifles (made in Manchester England) until the late nineties, they were also importing the Mark X rifles which were made in Yugoslavia. Is the receiver engraved with Whitworth on the left side and across the top of the receiver inside an oval, with the serial number on the right. You mentioned no Interarms markings, its quite possible a rifle someone personally imported.

MJH, I am about to head to work but I will check the receiver when i get home...but I do remember it not having any markings at all except some test numbers. Matt284, I said it was based off the P14, I never said anything about the Yugo Mark X.

Yes you did. The Mark X is a Yugo Mauser. Your rifle is a surplus P14 made into a Sporter rifle. It is based off of the Mauser design.

It's an Enfield. That action is big enough to build up to and beyond a 505 Gibbs. Still cock on close? There are cock on open kits {gunsmith required} if you want to convert it. Good strong actions for big bore projects.

Tommy boy you are right, I wasn't even thinking... from what I heard is the Yugos got a hold of a bunch of P14s and turned them into the Mark X. They used new barrels and did a some work on the receivers. Do you know if the official model name is Whitworth Sporter?