• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Who’s quit dippin?

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    For anybody who used to chew tobacco, how did you quit?

I’ve been on the no-nicotine pouches for over a week now.

Need to figure out how to quit those too.

Does chewing gum help?

Any other secrets to make this a success?

Reactions: diggler1833
    I bought my buddy the coffee pouches he liked them pretty good, i thought I was going to have a heart attack on one I don’t do a ton of caffeine lol. it’s the ritual that seems hardest for people to quit it seems, but a coffee buzz is better than nicotine I guess.

Reactions: camocorvette

Does chewing gum help?

I quit for about 3 years now.

It’s a individual journey, I don’t reckon any one person has the same experience.

For the most part, it starts with the right will power. It was hard for me because I really enjoy dipping haha but it was causing other issues so I knew I had to really stop.

As gay as this sounds, my wife’s friend gave me a vape, and said it’s how she quit smoking. She said to match the nicotine level I was on and ween off over a few months. It took me more than a few months, actually about a year and I essentially traded one bad habit for a slightly less bad habit but I had a surgery that put me down for about a week, and when I was all good, I threw all that shit away and never picked it back up.

Probably not super helpful, but like I said, I think you really need to want to quit is probably the big take away. The whole weening off bit just makes it less shitty.

Honestly, and it sucks, you just have to stop everything. I did the gum, herbal crap, tooth picks and thought about hypnosis. In the end, I simply changed the pattern when I did Copenhagen. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a few times where I wanted to kiss a man square on the mouth who had a dip in but, besides being straight, that’s just wrong…😂

If you did it as long as I did, it’s as much of an oral fixation as the nicotine. I did regular gum after the nicotine gum but, after all of it, I just had to retrain my brain.

I work construction so, when I wanted a dip, I just went and walked the job, which is tobacco free. If you don’t have that option, try drinking a glass/bottle of water. Basically, substitute something good for the bad.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually still dream about it but, it’s only a dream. It’s all a mental attitude and the understanding that not doing it is better for you. Sometimes that’s a challenge on a Monday morning but, that’s what the extra cup of coffee is for.

All I can say is try your best, don’t hate yourself when you have a relapse and have good people supporting you and not judging you.

Cold turkey, and a few coffee beans to chew on, or put between my cheek and gum when I'd get "the itch." I kept a baggie with the beans in my pocket. Tobacco-free since 15 May, 2018.

I picked up chewing in the infantry, and even now when my spouse gets activated or deploys-everything smells like Copenhagen (weird right?).

I smoked for 21 years. I finally can say I quit this past Thanksgiving. My goal was to quit before my 35th birthday. Well I'll be 37 in May..
    I dipped a bunch in the last 10 years when I couldn't smoke because of work. So I understand the "joy" of a fresh pinch.

It's tough. You gotta want it. And sometimes your crackhead brains asks "do you really want to quit?".

I work construction and it's too fucking easy to indulge my bad habit at work. Nearly everyone on site has some form of nicotine.
    But I sprinted yesterday and it didn't fucking kill me. I know I'll never get it all back. But I'll be better then if I smoke another 20 years.

Just follow through. Don't indulge. Tell your self you are better off without nicotine. It does nothing for you but make you an addict.

Even if money is no object, you save a bunch. Your jaw won't have to get cut up. Your teeth and gums won't go to shit.

Gum kinda helps, but then your jaw gets sore as fuck from chewing gum all day.

It's all in your brain. You control it. Now till it to stop.

Does chewing gum help?

Have a heart attack. If you survive it you will never crave a cigarette or dip again.

I was having a heart attack in 2013 and drove myself to the ER 30 miles away with a dip of Copenhagen in my mouth.

Next morning I had a brand new stent put in the LAD Artery (widow maker) which was 95% blocked, which doctors attributed to smoking.

Took me about two weeks for my head to clear but I never craved another cig or dip since. And I had a bad addiction I had tried to break for years, including using that nasty gum and patches.

Last edited:
    I quit 7 years ago, cold turkey. Gutted snuff for near 20 years and then got a bad pain in my stomach that lasted a few days. My first thought was cancer and it pretty much scared me straight thinking about not watching my young sons grow up. Turned out not to be serious but I threw my half full tin in the trash and quit right then. As far as substitues, nothing works. Absofuckinglutely nothing, so don't bother. Just quit. Become stronger than your vices. Get mad at the thing that controls you and be the one in charge of the situation. It sucks, and cravings will come and go for years.

As all the previous posters have said, it takes a 100% made up mind. It’s easy to say that you “want to” or “ need to” but you can be 99% sure you want to quit and still “want to.” It takes that next 1% to fully commit. It was hard for me and I tried many times quoting dipping and smoking and failed… but I just kept trying. Don’t be discouraged. You can do it! Find a good support group or person. Get rid of all the things that are associated to dipping and my suggestion is to not try and replace one bad habit with another habit. Good luck man!

Chantix is a hell of a drug! I took it for three days when I quit smoking, 13 years ago. It completely eliminates any desire for nicotine. Some people report bad dreams but I had crazy awesome adventure dreams, it was actually pretty cool. I think having a support system helps a lot too. Like others have mentioned, mentally, you need to be there 100%

Chantix is a hell of a drug! I took it for three days when I quit smoking, 13 years ago. It completely eliminates any desire for nicotine. Some people report bad dreams but I had crazy awesome adventure dreams, it was actually pretty cool. I think having a support system helps a lot too. Like others have mentioned, mentally, you need to be there 100%
    Guess I'm too honest for my own good. Chantix is an antidepressant and prescription. There's a question about taking antidepressants on the 4473. I'm not a liar, so I couldn't in good faith take it with my spending habit.

Reactions: SWgeezer
    Cold Turkey with a few slip ups…baptism of my best friends daughter/my god daughter made us both straighten up and quit…did cope long cut for 16-17 years since high school…been clean almost 5 years…just gotta make that decision, and it sucks!

If you are talking about question "e", it starts out, "if you are an UNLAWFUL user of...". Having a prescription from a medical doctor is completely LAWFUL.

Reactions: 143lrsd
    I had a can a day habit (Copenhagen) for about 10 years. I tried gum, sunflower seeds even tried stopping cold turkey several times. I just couldn't stop. I was hooked. I liked it. It was relaxing. I knew if i didn't stop there were serious consequences to my addiction. I finally said fuck it. Im going to stop for one week no matter what.

Day one sucked. I was miserable.
    Day two sucked I was a little less miserable but still had cravings
    Day three I woke up had no cravings and felt normal . If i had known it would only take me three days to loose the habit and cravings
    I would have stopped much sooner.

I guess what it comes down to is you have to want to stop. It has been 20 years since I quit. Cant stand the sight of a can of Copenhagen.
    I still dream that I do it .

The mint leaves help a bit. But you’ll only be able to quit if you’re truly ready. You’ll know the time when it comes

The stuff that still gets me all these years later is situational stuff. I catch myself reaching for it while sitting in the bow stand and for split second I think, oh shit I forgot it in the truck, before realizing I quit years ago. It's a crazy feeling.

Does chewing gum help?

So, I quit doing A LOT if dip. I'm down to like 1 can a month or so. It's more like of I'm super bored and shit.

Does that count as quitting?

I got a piece of my mouth cut out.
    Thank you for mentioning that. Single biggest risk factor for oral squamous cell carcinoma. Also compounded (synergistic effect) with HPV infection and alcohol consumption on these cancers.

Reactions: Changed
    So, I quit doing A LOT if dip. I'm down to like 1 can a month or so. It's more like of I'm super bored and shit.

Does that count as quitting?
    All the hillbillies I chewed Redman and Beech-Nut with as kids continued into adulthood and started losing their teeth by late 30's.

Reactions: acudaowner
    If you are talking about question "e", it starts out, "if you are an UNLAWFUL user of...". Having a prescription from a medical doctor is completely LAWFUL.
    Yeah, didn't remember the wording of the question, just remembered there was something on there about antidepressant use. Pretty much just remembered the "no" sections better not have a yes in them.

Reactions: Buzzinga
    switched from almost 30 years of smoking cigarettes to dip cause the hospital would not allow me to go outside with the bed iv and heart monitor the solotion that made everyone happy after trying the patch the crappy gum was dip and smokeless e cigs has been dip I dislike being strapped to a bottle while indoors but it still the best alternative I have tried .

Does chewing gum help?

I quit twice (yeah, I know). First time was when I was 24 and wore my gums down. Had a brand new Navy dentist attempt a skin graft by removing tissue from the roof of my mouth and grafting it into my gums in the front if my jaw. Long story short; he didn't have a clue what he was doing and after 3.75 hours the lidocaine had worn off, and despite my fucking pain, nobody let me have more lidocaine. Had to get some O-6 Captain dentist to come in to do the suchers, and he had to go through the gums front to back. Felt like getting hooked like a fish.

That cured me from dipping for 2-1/2 years.

Picked it back up and dipped again (this time putting it in different parts of my mouth) until May, 2013. I managed to put a brown stain on a tooth and thought I'd worn a hole in it. Made myself quit for a month before going back to Navy dental to get it looked at.

I used nicotine gum for the first two weeks. For me, dipping was a social habit. I always had to throw one in when I was talking to another guy who dipped/chewed. Breaking the social habit was harder than the withdrawals. I focused on going to the gym more and noticed an improvement in my cardio...so I kept up with that.

I still had dreams where I snuck a dip for the next two years, and I'd get so upset at myself (in the dream). It was a good reminder that I was ready to be done with it.

Thank you for mentioning that. Single biggest risk factor for oral squamous cell carcinoma. Also compounded (synergistic effect) with HPV infection and alcohol consumption on these cancers.
    Shit’s real. Thankfully it was a false alarm, but I quit that day, lol.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    I quit for almost 2 years. Wanted it just as bad the day I started back as the day I quit. Mostly situational things that made it the hardest. Shooting a rifle, welding at work, fishing, setting in the tree stand, drinking the first cup of coffee in the morning.

Guess I'm too honest for my own good. Chantix is an antidepressant and prescription. There's a question about taking antidepressants on the 4473. I'm not a liar, so I couldn't in good faith take it with my spending habit.

Chantix was designed as an aid to quit smoking and not designed as an anti- depressant.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    20 years clean. For me it took three things.

Absolute determination! You need to get every part of yourself completely decided.

The nicotine patch to handle the physical part of addiction.

Chewing gum to keep your mouth busy.

In addition for some period of time you may want to avoid others who chew.

I quit Copenhagen 4 months ago. Cold turkey me against the can attitude. Situational craving is what sucks not day to day....tractor, boat, hunting, etc. I just finally decided damn I need to quit being hooked on something I need everyday.

I quit a few years ago. I quit cold turkey but chewed 5 gum for the first few weeks at work. I would do it every long once I awhile if drinking but I did good for a solid 2 years. Went to Mexico and started back on the Rouge pouches. Quit for a month and then started again. Gonna quit again this week when I go to Vegas for good.

I quit twice. Once when I had only been doing it for about 3 years (age of 25), lasted for about 5 years before I started again. I used coffee grounds that time. Quit about 5 years ago at the age of 61. Bought massive packs of gum from Costco. When you feel the urge to "borrow a dip", I just think about what a PITA it was to quit. Never want to go through that again. :mad:

For me the timing had to be right. I had my last dip on a Monday evening. Lasted about a year. Started smoking cigars occasionally with a buddy and then more often. Figured Cope was better than those and went back to it. I’m fixing to pull the plug again. Any nicotine use is all about maintaining a level in your body. Now, just like the first time, when I go long stretches between chews, and I finally have a little one, it’s great. If I knew it could always be like that I’d never quit. Plus the taxes on the shit went up and fuck giving the gov more more money.

After going between smoking and dipping I finally quit cold turkey. Had a smoke about 2 weeks after quitting and it tasted and smell like crap. Same with dipping. One thing that help d with me was changing my situation and where and when I would normally smoke or dip. That help to cure a lot of the influence to continue.

I went to an oral surgeon years ago to have a goofy impacted wisdom tooth removed. At that time, I was going through a can of Skoal every 2-3 days. When the oral surgeon started using words like cancer and biopsy, I quit cold turkey. I put on 40 pounds during my 6 month withdrawal period.

I dont know if any of you remember the old commercial where the smoker puts a picture of his son or daughter in the pack of cigarettes.... anyway when my son was probably 10, based on that commercial, he asked if he could tape one of his little league baseball photos to the top of my copenhagen can. I moved that lid from can to can.

Talk about powerful, every time I twisted the lid off, I looked at his photo.

That was a HUGE incentive. I also substituted gum, sunflower seeds, coffee beans, and various flavors of fake/substitute tobacco. I still chew Smokey Mountain as a substitute... cavity risk but the oral cancer risk has been mitigated... hopefully.

The most difficult part is not having something in my lip.

I’ll wake up, throw in a chew, and I’d have one there until I went to bed.

The non-tobacco pouches are definitely good for fixing a craving. Haven’t had any nicotine since last Monday, so I think I’m over the nic-fits.

I bought an ass load of gum. That helps too.

Quit for a couple a years started again casually (one can would go dry before it was gone) Covid hit chewed like a mofo then quit cold turkey Sept 23, 2021 (not like I’m counting lol). Crave it every time I’m shooting, skiing, golfing, stressful day at work. Well fuck just about all the time

Reactions: SDBguy95
    I started chewing at about 13. When I realized girls thought it was gross I started smoking instead. I smoked many years. The place I was working at went non smoking so I just started dipping through the day. When I was 38 I quit both with Chantix. Well fast forward 9-10 years. Drunk at the bar my buddy chewed Copenhagen. Everytime he would open that can late at night I would get a good wiff of it. My mouth would actually start to water. Well I started to take a pinch from him now and then, I was drunk and got away with it for awhile. Then one day I bought a can and it was over. I'm more of an example of what not to do.

I was a wintergreen guy. Now when I work out of town and know I'll be craving, I make an order from Amarillo Snuff Co. Talked to a few guys that quit strait and they crutch on Black Buffalo. Both are no nicotine non tobacco chew.

I started chewing at about 13. When I realized girls thought it was gross I started smoking instead. I smoked many years. The place I was working at went non smoking so I just started dipping through the day. When I was 38 I quit both with Chantix. Well fast forward 9-10 years. Drunk at the bar my buddy chewed Copenhagen. Everytime he would open that can late at night I would get a good wiff of it. My mouth would actually start to water. Well I started to take a pinch from him now and then, I was drunk and got away with it for awhile. Then one day I bought a can and it was over. I'm more of an example of what not to do.
    Someone told me long ago, never buy cocain. Lol

It sucks I smoked and dipped and quoting dip was 100 times harder to stop but I did twice and now I finally don’t think about it