• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who’s the SH Air Gunners???

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    I purchased a Benjamin Marauder .22 cal earlier this year. Absolutely fell in love with air gun shooting. Now looking at an FX Impact M3

This air gun stuff overwhelms me compared to rifle shooting. Couple questions below…

1) What is the best all around air gun caliber (.177/22/25) I’m mainly looking for accuracy. Would be used for occasional hunting but only for red squirrels/pigeons type shooting

2) Who’s the best to buy from?

3) Also barrel length? I see 600mm and 700mm are common on fx

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eliteuas
    Seen a few at NRL22X matches shooting to 400+ yards, is crazy what those things are capable of.

Reactions: hafejd30
    Seen a few at NRL22X matches shooting to 400+ yards, is crazy what those things are capable of.
    It’s unbelievable these things aren’t more popular. My marauder cleaned a KYL target at 50 yards the other day with crossman pellets $9/500. I’m putting together a B14R .22 but starting to rethink my investments

I am very pleased with the performance of my FX Impact Mk ll, .25 700mm.

1659520084994.jpeg

I’ve begun to dabble in them a bit myself. Bought a Marauder in .25 from a local guy, and picked up a couple of nicer spring piston air rifles in .22 as well. For me, I’ll be using them mostly for casual plinking and small game hunting. I’ve managed to stock quite a few pellets as well, and it’s hard to argue with 1.5¢/shot compared to 8-10¢ with .22LR.

The higher-end PCPs are out of my reach at the moment, but I may consider one eventually. If I sold all my airguns I could pick one up, but I’m pretty firmly attached to the idea of having at least one nice springer due to their simplicity.

Reactions: hafejd30
    Another airgunner (and marauder owner) here. I'm a 177 fan, mainly because 1.) 177 pellets are cheap. 2.) if I "need" more power, I get out a powder burner.

Pyramyd Air has always been good to me over the years. Never an issue. Pellets are shipped entombed in foam blocks.

I have a few airguns.

They don't get shot as much as they used to, they've all developed leaks and I've spent too much time troubleshooting without getting any results.

There's lots of great qualities to airguns, especially from a legality standpoint. But reliability is not their strong suit. Their complex, and rely on a lot of o-rings to operate reliably. Lots of o-rings in different sizes and locations. It can be difficult to troubleshoot what is causing specific issues, unless you are intimate with the platform.

They work great when they work, but unless legally unable to, I would always take a rimfire over an airgun.

I really need to get mine fixed...

Which rail is that one. I see couple on there. Any preferences?

That gun is my dream air rifle currently haha

It's all I know, so can't quite speak to if I like it or not. It works tho.

Saber Tac and all ordered/built by Utah Air.

Something worth pondering: Compressors are really nice to have, but depending on your choice of caliber, an air tank might last you a realllllly long time. I opt'd for a large tank and it lasts for ages, and no keeping up compressor maintenance. Works great.

It's all I know, so can't quite speak to if I like it or not. It works tho.

Saber Tac and all ordered/built by Utah Air.

Something worth pondering: Compressors are really nice to have, but depending on your choice of caliber, an air tank might last you a realllllly long time. I opt'd for a large tank and it lasts for ages, and no keeping up compressor maintenance. Works great.
    I have a hand pump for my marauder. I do however work at a fire department with a fill station for scba bottles. May set up an expired scba bottle with a regulator. Just fill the bottle when needed. If that will even work. I’m brand new to pcp guns

I have lots to learn

For PCP our local.club has a large tank. Several members are running out of a SCUBA tank at home. There are lot of fills @ 200 bar with a SCUBA.
    I'd consider a hand pump but they seem to cost almost as much as a tank.
    I just sold off a FWB65 to get into my Styer. That old springer is/was great. The Styer hasn't definitively bought me any points yet.

PCP rifles are intriguing but there isn't any air stuff going on in my neck of the woods to justify the investment (wish there was) I'm just going to upgrade springers to a HW95L in .22 to bust bunnies.

I've been into airguns for maybe 35 years now. Started with basic springer rifles and moved up to custom tuned higher end stuff for silhouette, 50',10M and field target competitions. Also got into CO2 (bulk feed not those little capsules0) for Olympic grade match rifles and pistols maybe 20 years ago. I still shoot those regularly . In recent times, I've started into the PCP rifles. Modern PCP has it's advantages IF you commit to invest the $350 or so needed for a compressor. Otherwise they are a PITA to keep fed (and in my case largely went unused for a spell) if you rely on a ever emptying SCUBA tank . IMHO, your marauder is REAL hard to beat for the $. I've had two (my current one is the FT/regulated model) and both were very accurate, nicely built and fun/easy to tweak. ( I also have Walther, Styer, HW, BSA, FX etc and like them all for different purposes) Caliber wise, I've mostly gravitated towards .22 and .177 . I don't hunt with an airgun any more and sold off my .25 cals . Since this thread needs some more pics, I'll throw in the Benjamin Akela I purchased this week during Benjamins 20% off bundle sale. I refinished the stock and have a few tweaks to do to it but it's pretty sweet (and my first bull pup). It just got to the range today for the first time.

Attachments

• 20220803_101931.jpg
      20220803_101931.jpg
      602.1 KB · Views: 94
    Last edited:
    So now that we have an airgun thread going (looks like there have been a few recently, actually):

Rings/mounts/bases/optics. :)

I’m spoiled by places like the Hide and everything I’ve learned here in the past two decades or so. I don’t buy crap optics. I might buy lower-tier optics depending on what I’m using them for, but I tend to avoid the likes of UTG like the cancer they typically are.

But I see a LOT of guys recommending “off-brand” optics for use on their rifles, to include spring piston rifles. I happen to need a few optics, and I’m thinking of moving my SWFA 3-15x42 from my 457MTR over to one of my springers and upgrading on the .22LR, but that only solves one air rifle’s problem. I’d need two more.

I could get a few more SWFA 3-15x and be happy, especially since they parallax down to 6m, or get another USO TS-12X (which USO says is also air rifle rated). Both can be had for decent prices used ($300-400 if I’m patient), so I may do that or maybe try an Athlon. The downside is all three of mine are primarily going to be plinking/hunting rifles for rabbits/squirrels/raccoons, and I’d bet illumination might be handy in the dense woods here in Indiana.

But for bases/mounts/rings, what’s everyone doing? I may be “unique” here in that I’m scoping spring piston rifles that need to stand up to more recoil than a PCP, but I’m all ears. BKL seems halfway decent, but I’m open to suggestions.

So now that we have an airgun thread going (looks like there have been a few recently, actually):

I’m spoiled by places like the Hide and everything I’ve learned here in the past two decades or so. I don’t buy crap optics. I might buy lower-tier optics depending on what I’m using them for, but I tend to avoid the likes of UTG like the cancer they typically are.

But I see a LOT of guys recommending “off-brand” optics for use on their rifles, to include spring piston rifles. I happen to need a few optics, and I’m thinking of moving my SWFA 3-15x42 from my 457MTR over to one of my springers and upgrading on the .22LR, but that only solves one air rifle’s problem. I’d need two more.

I could get a few more SWFA 3-15x and be happy, especially since they parallax down to 6m, or get another USO TS-12X (which USO says is also air rifle rated). Both can be had for decent prices used ($300-400 if I’m patient), so I may do that or maybe try an Athlon. The downside is all three of mine are primarily going to be plinking/hunting rifles for rabbits/squirrels/raccoons, and I’d bet illumination might be handy in the dense woods here in Indiana.

But for bases/mounts/rings, what’s everyone doing? I may be “unique” here in that I’m scoping spring piston rifles that need to stand up to more recoil than a PCP, but I’m all ears. BKL seems halfway decent, but I’m open to suggestions.
    I put a hawke on my Benjamin. Seems to be a popular choice for air guns.

I first tried Athlon Cronus, Burris XTRII and Sightron SIII. But none will parallax under 30 or so yards. Some were closer to 50. The ability or lack of rather to parallax down to 10 yards leave many options of rifle scopes off the table if you want to get close

Reactions: oldfatguy
    There is always a good reason for an airgun!

Yes the start up cost can be expensive, but the operating cost is low. After you get a compressor, basic one for around $400 or so, then all you need are some pellets. There are quite a few good sites out that where you can get a full set up. I was lucky to find a spot here in my area, and just started there this week. So don't want to say anything about the place so I don't break any dealers rules or anything.

But you can get just as expensive with the airguns as you can with any rifle. They are great for training and can be extremely quiet. Really fun to get the kiddos out shooting and having fun. Though you can go through a crap load of pellets quick.
    20220106_194215.jpg
    20220502_174303.jpg
    Screenshot_20220427-095347_Instagram.jpg

Excuse the mess in the one picture.

Yea, I get it. I've grown accustomed to decent glass in the last couple of years of feeding my rimfire addiction. It's hard to consider spending less than $400 on any glass these days and the little guy in the back of my head says I really need to consider doubling that number.. Case in point. My new Akela Package came with a $100+/- CenterPoint air rifle scope that many reviewers say is just fine. Honestly, It probably is just fine but I can't speak to it because I can't even bring myself to cut it out of it's blister pack. ( Just the thought of owning a scope that comes out of a "blister pack" disturbs me these days. :) )
    Still, I've learned that for me (and I'll bet most shooters) air gunning is a game of feet and not yards. Many shots are close (inside of 35 yds) and anything past 75 yards will be RARE for unless I'm competing or showboating. This means that I don't need spectacular HD/ED glass or super precision to shoot 1" targets at 40 yds. ( Nice to have, Yes! Needed, No!)
    To be honest, I have a couple of $150 UTG Accushot 3-12x44 scopes (with side focus and illuminated reticle) that have served me well for years of shooting on various PCP air rifles for years now. Part of me says "just get another". Still, I think I'll be looking around for a discounted Vortex or Athlon etc this time around.

These air guns are awesome!! Keep the info coming

I shoot the FX Impact M3 in .22 & .25 700mm w/ slug liners and tensioned barrels. I am only shooting the PCP for Local NRL22 matches and getting the RimX out for NRL-X Matches.

*** Caliber ***
    The .22 & .25 with Varmint Knocker slugs are phenomenal for whatever you are looking to do. I shoot both calibers out to 350 yards and they hold their own if I am doing my part.
    * .22 in a 32.8g HP Slug I'm pushing a 1035 average. 16 ES. 6 SD.
    * .25 in a 34g HP Slug I'm pushing 1055 average. 12 ES. 4 SD.
    **** Dealers ****
    Utah Aur Guns is a HUGE company that is there to support and help the end user as much as possible. They are just the biggest name. SPAW( Southern Precision Air Weapons ) is the second largest name. Either one of these companies can pre tune and set the rifle of your choosing up for you.

***** Brand ****

FX is probably the busiest name in the business right now due to a lot of reasons. The Impact M3 and Dreamline will do what you are looking to do. It comes down to the tuning process and how much you want to do and feel like doing. Then you have the RAW brand with a few different options in their lineup as well.

I would look at magazine capacity as most shooting stages are 10 + rounds, so that puts the Ed Guns Leshy with an 8 round magazine OUT of that game.

Look at the ability to add ARCA Rails and such as well. Krayford & Lypt, Saber Tactical & Air Marksman does that well for the FX lineup of rifles. I am not sure on the other brands.

When you get into the PCP world you can tie up a lot of money real quick. I have more in it than my RimX. I also have 3 SCBA Tanks for air.

FX Impact M3 .22 700mm Sniper
    * Heavy Slug Liner
    * Barrel tension system
    * Hugget Mini Magna Air Moderator
    * Tungston Hammer Weight
    * Heavy Spring kit
    * Huma Air 2nd stage reg
    * Huma Air Gen2 Slug Port
    * Huma Air Slug Probe
    * Fully polished internals
    * Krayford & Lypt ARCA Rail and Butt Stock w. bag rider
    * Element Optics Titan 5-25/56 34mm tube Mil Reticle
    * ARC M-Brace 20moa 1.26 mount

6984414C-4539-4839-B278-1E8714184AD6.jpeg

Any one have experience with a Hill High Pressure Hand Pump w/ 200 DIN (5th Gen)?

No experience with that one but I do own a Benjamin hand pump. It's a BEAR to fill a rifle with and not much more fun to top one off . Mine will take me from 2500 to 3000 psi ( on a 280cc cyl) in about 60 pumps. However the last 30 of those pumps require me to pick my feet up and let my 220# frame finish the down stroke. This Hillman is likely better quality. It claims to be easier use and higher pressure capability BUT I have to wonder if it achieves that by putting less air in per stroke (with a smaller cylinder/piston). They both appear to operate the same so I can't see what else would give the Hillman those gains. In either case, unless you absolutely need a hand pump, or are filling pistols only, I'd recommend spending another $100 and buy a Chinese compressor.

Reactions: Halfnutz
    Any one have experience with a Hill High Pressure Hand Pump w/ 200 DIN (5th Gen)?

most people on airgunnation (forum) say the cheap chinese pumps work as good or better than the expensive hill ones.
    i am too lazy to be able to tell you if that is true or not, or if the 5th generation version is better...

Break down and get a compressor! Using a hand pump will suck and you will get tired of it quickly. If you are serious about shooting you will end up getting a compressor anyway. Spend less time trying to pump these guns up, and just get a compressor

If you have a 10m pistol or rifle, can enter into the CMP ACES postal match, they have it every quarter and is $8 per match if you want to use paper targets and then pay the trip back to Anniston for scoring. Most states have a Championship matches in which you can compete for the state title and even earn EIC points now. (10m iron sights)

RAW HM1000X in .22 with a .25 conversion kit. This is my critter thumper and benchrest rig, 28.13gr .22 pellet at 990fps. Stainless barrel is a full 3/4" diameter, no barrel liner here or any fragile parts. Built similar to the much older Theoben Rapid, solid and built like a tank but isn't something you want to carry around. Because of this I have been thinking of a compact Bullpup, it's a toss up between maybe a Krait and a LG400 Alutec Competition for 10m fun.

Also, second the use of a Alteros Booster pump, Nitrogen Cylinder, or a compressor over the hand pump. Depending on conditions hand pumps can introduce moisture into the gun which can cause corrosion.

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_155605447.jpg
      IMG_20220716_155605447.jpg
      402.1 KB · Views: 59
    • IMG_20220714_204556507.jpg
      IMG_20220714_204556507.jpg
      495.7 KB · Views: 59
    I had a bad experience with the PCP world and have been kinda hesitant to get back into it. As a kid I spent a lot of money on a Career 707 rifle and the hand pump. The rifle came filled and I had so much fun with it until it was time to fill. The fill probe it came with didn't work, so I bought a replacement probe. When that came, it still didn't fill. So I got a ride to a SCUBA diving store that was like 30 miles from me. After jerry rigging the replacement probe with a shit ton of silicone or teflon tape, it managed to fill with the compressor used to fill SCUBA tanks. After I shot all the air out of it, I was done with it and sold it and lost a lot of money doing so, but I kept the pump.

Anyways, as of right now my beast of an airgun is a Hatsan Carnivore 130. It's a .30 caliber gas-piston. I honestly am not a big fan of shooting it. It weighs like 10 lbs. without a scope and it's the single hardest to cock airgun I've ever shot. I'm curious what the actual cocking effort is in lbs.

Reactions: theLBC