• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who’s your preferred custom rifle builder?

I saw Mr. Cross listed in this thread and as far as I know (and as described on his website) he is no longer taking individual custom build commissions.

As an aside, I have never seen a communication from Mr. Cross that wasn't polite, knowledgeable, and professional. I find him to be a class act all around.

Reactions: stefan73
THAT is a magnificent piece of wood, my friend. Really awesome and its difficult (and $$) to find a blank of such high quality large enough for a rifle stock (vice two piece break action shotgun stocks, for example)

May I ask, who did the wood work....shaping and who did the checkering?

Shoot it well and long.
Daves partner Bryan did all the stock work. Took it from a block of Claro and did all the shaping by hand. Put in some cast off. All hand checkered. He’s carving me another Claro stock now. Similiar gun to the first. BAT action, Bartlein barrel, Jewell trigger. Melonite finish on all the metal. This blank is even higher quality than the first one

• Love
Reactions: Baron23
Now that I’ve got all my components I’m starting the process of finding a reputable smith to do the build (Defiance action, Bartlein bbl, McM A3-5 stock). Will be a 20” 308 Win.

so far I’ve talked to Beanland and SAC. One was disproportionately more expensive but had a great lead time.
Would like maybe two others to contact before I decide. I’m willing to pay a premium to have it completed before next hunting season.
Dave Sams at Sams Custom Gunworks. He was the Master Gunsmith at the USAMU. None better.

I've dealt with these and all have been great, and currently waiting on parts for a build with TS customs.
LRI
SAC
Beanland
PCR
Crescent customs

Baldwin Sights
111 E Atlanta Ave, Jones, Oklahoma 73049, United States
405-399-2875

His website features blackpowder sights, but he does custom gun work as well. I found him through an old thread on this forum.

I repurposed a basic R700 in 308 for police work. New Hawkhill barrel, blueprinted action, cut and threaded barrel...he had it ready for me in four days. The job also cost me about 15% less than the next cheapest quote I got, and in 4 months less time.

I can put 10 rounds through a dime at 100 yards with ease, as fast as I can work the bolt...and I'm not a great shooter.

Give him a call and see if he can fit you in. He's a solid guy who does good work. Until he dies, I won't take my business anywhere else.

I just reread this entire post and notice that Stuteville was never mentioned. I went back to a PRS Blog article posted in 2019 and Stuteville was the Number One Gunsmith of choice by the top competitors I also see many of his rifles in the NRL Precision rifle videos with the Impact Actions . Does he strictly build and sell his own rifles or take on outside work as well??

I just reread this entire post and notice that Stuteville was never mentioned. I went back to a PRS Blog article posted in 2019 and Stuteville was the Number One Gunsmith of choice by the top competitors I also see many of his rifles in the NRL Precision rifle videos with the Impact Actions . Does he strictly build and sell his own rifles or take on outside work as well??
Maybe cause of this:

" am taking a new approach to rifle builds for 2019. I will be focusing on a few rifle configurations that are or will be available for sale on this site and will not be taking orders for one off rifles"

Brian Allen ( Louisiana )is getting ready to build me a rifle as soon as my Manners PRS-TCS come back from them after adding the Sikes Clutch, he’s also one of the top PRS shooters and he does a lot of the other shooters barrels as well

am taking a new approach to rifle builds for 2019. I will be focusing on a few rifle configurations that are or will be available for sale on this site and will not be taking orders for one off rifles"
That pretty much explains it. Thanks for the info

Reactions: Baron23
Every time i see one of these threads it always reminds me of Robert Gradous. Spent a lot of time in his shop and out. Was a great guy with mad skills. RIP Robert.
Kind of amazing not to see his mentioned in a custom builder's thread, right? RIP.

I have 2 rifles by Jon Beanland. Both are absolute lasers. Plus, he is a super nice guy that is easy to work with.

Reactions: teslawasframed
19ABBFF1-9C9E-4E16-8D37-9830ABF9AFE2.jpeg