• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who all runs the ARC Nucleus action?

Dski48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Oshkosh, NE
I've had a gen 1 nucleus for about a year now and I like it enough I just picked up another one. I have only ran maybe 600 rounds though it but it's become my favorite action I've messed with.
Have any of you had the nukes then switched to something else for any reason?

I have one.
love it!
It started out as a 260 then morphed info a 7 saum.
I’d like to get another for my 260 to replace my savage.
97FB18EB-891A-4ED3-A534-7888E9E45295.jpeg

Reactions: lash
Out of the 5 guns I play with 1 is a nucleus, the other 4 are mausingfield. Nothing wrong with the nucleus. It's a solid action. I go back and forth without noticing to defiance actions also....

Out of the 5 guns I play with 1 is a nucleus, the other 4 are mausingfield. Nothing wrong with the nucleus. It's a solid action. I go back and forth without noticing to defiance actions also....
Is there enough of a difference between the 2 to warrant the price difference? The guy I bought the nuke from replaced the nuke with the Archimedes. And according to him there isn't enough of a difference between the 2 to warrant going with the Archimedes

Is there enough of a difference between the 2 to warrant the price difference? The guy I bought the nuke from replaced the nuke with the Archimedes. And according to him there isn't enough of a difference between the 2 to warrant going with the Archimedes
Your just paying more for features.
If those features are important to you it’s totally worth it.

Reactions: lash and Dski48
I've never touched an archimedes so I cant say. Action choice really is personal, and alot of the decision really boils down to what you WANT... all the actions these days have features or specs that we used to pay alot for. A stock action is still fine today as well.

Remember this is a hobby of wants!
If it was need based we would all be shooting far less expensive toys!

Really you need to look at or fondle them to decide what you want. Then decide if theres a specific option you NEED( HIGHLY UNLIKEY)

Reactions: Boatninja and lash
Been loving my nuke more every time I take it out. Shot a couple PRS matches, and all told, probably 1200 rounds of 6brx. It took about 400-500 to wear it in and/or for me to adapt to it, but when I’m on my game it sounds like a sewing machine when Running it hard. It has to be run fast and hard imo, slow running just doesn’t work out it seems to me.

Been loving my nuke more every time I take it out. Shot a couple PRS matches, and all told, probably 1200 rounds of 6brx. It took about 400-500 to wear it in and/or for me to adapt to it, but when I’m on my game it sounds like a sewing machine when Running it hard. It has to be run fast and hard imo, slow running just doesn’t work out it seems to me.
I run mine fairly slow without issues.

I liked my gen 1 enough that I sold two of my Tikkas and optics to fund a new gen 1.1 build. The gen 1.1 feels even better than my 1.0 from the bit of fiddling I've done with it. Have 19lb springs in mine, no failures on my gen 1.0 after 450 rounds of 6.5cm.

I liked my gen 1 enough that I sold two of my Tikkas and optics to fund a new gen 1.1 build. The gen 1.1 feels even better than my 1.0 from the bit of fiddling I've done with it. Have 19lb springs in mine, no failures on my gen 1.0 after 450 rounds of 6.5cm.
I planned on buying the gen 1.1 but I found a gen 1.0 from a guy I met here on the hide. So I got it figured I'd use the extra money to get something nicer on this rifle.

I planned on buying the gen 1.1 but I found a gen 1.0 from a guy I met here on the hide. So I got it figured I'd use the extra money to get something nicer on this rifle.

Nothing wrong with that! I would have done the same as you if we had as good of a used market up here in Canada. I figured I'd get my hands on another 1 or 1.1 since they still share the same bolt heads. Will add to my overall versatility once I can get more barrels for my two nukes.

Nothing wrong with that! I would have done the same as you if we had as good of a used market up here in Canada. I figured I'd get my hands on another 1 or 1.1 since they still share the same bolt heads. Will add to my overall versatility once I can get more barrels for my two nukes.
Do you run shouldered barrels or just the prefit ones with a barrel nut

I have a S/A Mausingfield I got back in 2015 and a L/A Nuke that I've had for a little over a year. Love both of them.

Savage prefits using a Barloc. I'll make the switch to shouldered prefits once I have a sturdy enough work bench or a vehicle with a hitch to install my barrel vice on.
That's how I run, shilen prefit with a Barloc. Have you experienced any of the supposed random poi shifts using the Barloc?

That's how I run, shilen prefit with a Barloc. Have you experienced any of the supposed random poi shifts using the Barloc?

They only happen if you don't have it set up to clamp properly. If it's snug-to-tight before you start torquing the screw everything is fine IME. Tried shouldered and savage style and was only able to get POI shift when using a shouldered barrel with a shallow chamber. It used up the first 2/3 of the clamp to expand and fill the gap between barloc and barrel shoulder, then wasn't clamped on very tight with what was left. Barloc was clamped completely shut.

If, when everything is torqued, you still have a gap in the barloc clamp, everything will be fine from the testing I've done.

Reactions: lash
They only happen if you don't have it set up to clamp properly. If it's snug-to-tight before you start torquing the screw everything is fine IME. Tried shouldered and savage style and was only able to get POI shift when using a shouldered barrel with a shallow chamber. It used up the first 2/3 of the clamp to expand and fill the gap between barloc and barrel shoulder, then wasn't clamped on very tight with what was left. Barloc was clamped completely shut.

If, when everything is torqued, you still have a gap in the barloc clamp, everything will be fine from the testing I've done.
I haven't experimented with the Barloc any just installed it on the barrel and left it. I haven't had any issues what so ever. Just read about it and was curious how wide spread the issue was

I took my set up out hunting last season and successfully took two deer with it. Did a zero verification after the first long day out and had no zero shift. I've smacked my barrel firmly with my hand and haven't had any issues either. Ledzep's experience echoes what I've read from other reports as well. The nut versions stay solid, shouldered has the risk of not squeezing the Barloc collar down enough to torque properly. Not sure I'd trust landing on top of it after jumping out of an airplane, but for general purpose use, seems to have worked just fine.

Nuke #1:

20191115_162917.jpg

Nuke #2:
20200229_114828.jpg

I took my set up out hunting last season and successfully took two deer with it. Did a zero verification after the first long day out and had no zero shift. I've smacked my barrel firmly with my hand and haven't had any issues either. Ledzep's experience echoes what I've read from other reports as well. The nut versions stay solid, shouldered has the risk of not squeezing the Barloc collar down enough to torque properly. Not sure I'd trust landing on top of it after jumping out of an airplane, but for general purpose use, seems to have worked just fine.

Nuke #1:

View attachment 7262343

Nuke #2:
View attachment 7262344
That's pretty country. I miss the open plains and snow. What optic is on the second one?

That's pretty country. I miss the open plains and snow. What optic is on the second one?

Well I'll stick with the plains but I'll gladly give you the snow :LOL:

Razor AMG. Was going for either an AMG or NX8 4-32 for this build as I wanted to keep it somewhat lighter than my first rifle. Found the AMG used for a decent price so it settled that debate. As much as I love my gen II, she's certainly a little on the thicker side haha. Current estimate is ballpark 12lbs unloaded, no bipod with a Whiskey 3 folder and a 20" barrel chambered in 223 Wylde. Hoping for a more rearward balance point on this one. Should make it a bit more manageable than my front heavy 16lb 6.5cm.

I have a Mausingfield in 6creed, Nucleus in 224 Valkyrie, and an Archimedes that will be a 300PRC. Couldn’t be happier with my ARC actions.

Reactions: kthomas and Dski48
I have one of the first ones, single digit ser#. PVA shouldered prefit, 24" 6.5C. It's awesome and I don't see a need for any of the extra features for myself (from the other actions).

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I like my Nucleus. I use FGMM primers so I run the lightest firing pin spring. The bolt lift feels great.

I had an Archimedes that was nothing but a 3 month waste of time and money. Sent it back for a refund.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Had 2. hate them.

1. Light primer strikes (ran FGMM primers just fine for about 500 rounds, then wouldn’t set them off consistently during a 2-day match. Had one stage with 8 light strikes)
2. Bind on close(fixed this by turning down a pin, but I should not have to do this on a custom action)
3. Has to be run fast. If I run it slow or even moderate speed, it just leaves the spent shell in the action. (More so on the .223 action, ejects dasher fine)
4. Does not control round feed consistently. Even running fast, I can feel and hear the extractor snapping over rim.
5. Resell is shit. 4 iterations of the same action within 2 years kills the resale value. My low SN gen 1 couldn’t even fetch $600.

I will never buy an ARC again.

I have a Nucleus and Mausingfiel, both 6mm Creedmore. I have a shouldered Proof Carbon 16.5” barrel currently on the Nucleus. I love it I have swapped barrels around with Savage barrel nuts on the Nuc before putting shouldered barrel, love it I am a rank amateur when it comes to all this stuff so that is all I have to offer....... Pic not
707425FB-862D-486B-8F17-926E6646EB43.jpeg
of current configuration, but that is one of the things I love about it, you can just change it all up!

Reactions: Dski48
I have a Nucleus and Mausingfiel, both 6mm Creedmore. I have a shouldered Proof Carbon 16.5” barrel currently on the Nucleus. I love it I have swapped barrels around with Savage barrel nuts on the Nuc before putting shouldered barrel, love it I am a rank amateur when it comes to all this stuff so that is all I have to offer....... Pic not View attachment 7262845of current configuration, but that is one of the things I love about it, you can just change it all up!
IMG_20190612_103821~2.jpg

Ignore the bed spread but that's my Nucleus as it sits currently. Well I have a Sinclair tactical bipod for it just not in in the picture. I like it alot kind of wish I would've went with a McMillan or manners instead of the MPA hybrid

I've shot some of my best match scores with my Nucleus. I've got an early v1 Nucleus which is now over 800 trouble free rounds, mostly in local matches, with a Huber 2 stage trigger and the original 16# striker spring. I just switched to the 19# spring for a little more insurance
IMG_3408.JPG

Reactions: lash and Dski48
I've shot some of my best match scores with my Nucleus. I've got an early v1 Nucleus which is now over 800 trouble free rounds, mostly in local matches, with a Huber 2 stage trigger and the original 16# striker spring. I just switched to the 19# spring for a little more insurance View attachment 7262909
How difficult was it to change out the spring and where did you acquire one?

I have four actions 2 short 308 bolt face, a long magnum and a long 308.

The long magnum has been a 300 Winchester since I bought it. It has a 28 inch Proof carbon fiber tube on it. Eventually I'll rechamber it to 300 PRC, or maybe I will I am still on the fence.

The two short actions are a 6 Creedmoor and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have not shot the 6mm Creedmoor yet. The 6.5 creedmoor has a take off Savage factory varmint barrel and punches Hornady Match 6.5 140's through 1/4 inch. My gunsmith put a muzzle brake on it, but I actually don't like it very much as it takes me off target when I pull the trigger. I have his brake on a really short barreled 308, and it works great so it is just this particular rifle.

Other than the 300 that has a barloc, the other two are using the Savage nut.

I would buy another 4 Nucleus, I like them that much.

Changing the main spring was not difficult but I did buy the spring compression tool from ARC which makes it MUCH easier. It took about 10 minutes

All I run are Nuke and Archimedes, but you know that already, lol.

Changing the spring is not too bad, but it is a pain to figure out how to compress the spring. You gotta use the washer that comes with it. It is much easier of you have two people for the second it takes to spin the washer on. One to compress the spring and another to screw on the washer.

Herinaz,

I have never touched an Archimedes, but I have 4 Nucleus. What is the physical in your hands advantages of the Arch over the Nuke?

I have 2 Nuke 1.1's - I've shot the short action on a 6.5x27 laupa CBI barrel. Awesome. I have an ARC mag with MK follower.

Herinaz,

I have never touched an Archimedes, but I have 4 Nucleus. What is the physical in your hands advantages of the Arch over the Nuke?

Extraction is the big difference. Because of the lever extraction, the bolt has a different feel to it, especially on the end of the stroke rearward.

I like mine so far, just have not run it enough to get a good feel for it. I might do a video or something later comparing. Some guys have sold Nucleus to go to Archimedes and some have gone the other way.

I love my Nuke 1.0 so I won't sell it at all. Comes down to whether I keep the Archimedes or swap it to Nuke.

Thank you, please let us know.

I have a 1.0, and 3 1.1's. I have only shot the new 1.1 about 40 times so I am not sure and my 1.0 is a serial number 50ish long action. So it is going to act different than my 1.1 shot actions anyway.

4. Does not control round feed consistently. Even running fast, I can feel and hear the extractor snapping over rim.

Same here.

I've got a new 1.1 that only has four boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor through it. Using MDT metal mags, no binder plate in an ACC chassis. They feed well, but it's push feeding them 90% of the time.

Mine seems to have kind of a hump where the bolt sometimes binds on something after firing. It'll unlock, but I'll need to smack it to get it to unlock the rest of the way. There might be a break-in period.

Reactions: Boatninja
If you ever so slightly break the sharp edges then lightly polish the entry point on the extractor consistent CRF will probably be your reward.