• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who are the most respected names in hard body armor and plate carriers?

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
Looking for help narrowing down to the top five makers of hard body armor, and plate carriers- to make the research easier.

Are there retail stores in southern FL for the above, or online only?

If mainly online, name three good suppliers.

Also, is NIJ the most respected certification?

TYIA

Hesco is the standard in rifle plates

RMA is a lower priced option, but there have been some complaints about the outside edges being foam- do your own research on this because I might be completely wrong about it. Remember reading about it years ago.

RMA has a IIIa pistol plate that is awesome for $99

some more vendors:
ATArmor
OPTactical

Reactions: Milf Dots
Besides Hesco there’s also LTC and TenCate.

For Plates, Hesco & Velocity Systems, both of their Special Threat Plates are tier 1. VS will be harder to source. HESCO U210 is the one to buy, SAPI cut to your size, or the U210 if you are a broke ass.

For carriers, its impossible to say, there are so many options depending on what type of coverage you want with soft armor, armor cummerbund, side plates, type of placard,ect.

IMO if you think you will need plates, you will probably want more soft armor coverage than you would expect.

Its a whole rabbit whole you can spend hundreds of hours of researching. Need to narrow down intended use, price , body shape/size and what features you want.

For a good set of plates, carrier, soft armor and some accessories, expect to spend $3-4K for a high quality setup. Anyone who says different is a fucking retard and should be ignored. They have never been shot at before and don't know shit.

Reactions: pineoak
Its a whole rabbit whole you can spend hundreds of hours of researching. Need to narrow down intended use, price , body shape/size and what features you want.

When I first decided to go hard plates for my active shooter rig, I did a lot of research. Some of that research lead me to Highcom Armor (then called Highcom Security). I called them to ask some clarifying questions, from what I saw on their website. The President of the company answered and gave me roughly an hour of armor education. He was very helpful.