• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who builds their own (not necessarily from scratch)

Top O' Texas

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2023
Texas
After building AR's for a decade I decided I needed more of a challenge (kinda forced to do so)? 700's wasn't going be be my cup of tea (not 1 desire for them), so where to start? 1st BA I bought (factory) was a Savage 110 in 300wm. It is crazy accurate fo a factory rifle (well, the most accurate I've experienced), so that lead me down the build more 110 actioned rifles. So far I've built 1 of each (300wm & 264wm). Now I just need to finish the chassis. What have any of you built?

I “built” rifles on savage actions many years ago. Back when savage floating bolt head, barrel nut prefit and Sightron SIII were king.

I’m sure most of us started in the savage world as it was really the only option where you could change a barrel in your garage and not worry about blueprinting the action to achieve very good accuracy

Then like many I graduated to better weapons. There’s many great actions to build on now. Savage wouldn’t even be considered unless I got one nearly free and threw together as a beat around gun

Now my idea of “build” a new rifle is loosening the set screw and swapping the barrel on my AI’s.

In 2010 savage was my go to though. I still have a few including my criterion barreled 260 which is on par accuracy wise as any other rifle I own

I literally just finished swapping out a Savage 111 6.5 Creedmoor to a 22 Creedmoor Criterion barrel from Northland. A very reputable gunsmith let me watch him swap out another Savage barrel for me a few years ago and I watched a ton of videos.

So...for my first attempt, the bolt closes when it's supposed to and doesn't close when it's not supposed to. Brass and dies will be here next Tuesday and we'll see if I did a good job next Sunday!
1000004195.jpg

I literally just finished swapping out a Savage 111 6.5 Creedmoor to a 22 Creedmoor Criterion barrel from Northland. A very reputable gunsmith let me watch him swap out another Savage barrel for me a few years ago and I watched a ton of videos.

So...for my first attempt, the bolt closes when it's supposed to and doesn't close when it's not supposed to. Brass and dies will be here next Tuesday and we'll see if I did a good job next Sunday!View attachment 8319213
Northland is a great place to shop! I've bought 3 110 actions from them.

Reactions: Heretic
Bought a Savage action thru Northland, Shileen Sellect Match, and a pretty blue laminated stock from Fred and Lisa.
I still shoot ARs but this one is for the wife, F-open.
Vault.jpg

Reactions: Evlshnngns