• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Who camps/hikes and hunts?

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
Growing up, I would go with my best friend and his dad to New Mexico and hike for a week while we would hunt. I'm curious to find out who else does this?

Re: Who camps/hikes and hunts?

I do during deer season and 2-3 weekends coyote hunting a place 50 miles from closest town.

I wish there was a place to do that close. Huntings nearly too expensive to do anymore...let alone do it out of state with a couple days overnight.

I love to do both. Honestly, the only combo camping/hunting I do is for Grouse. Best time of the year to camp and I have the opportunity to also fish. The colder late fall leaves some prime areas that are relatively unused.

It's hard to find the time to bow hunt effectively and adding the additional camp kit aspect makes it worse.

Gun hunting season is a clown carnival and being untied and mobile is best. I wouldn't trust leaving base camp behind for a long period. I often change spots day-day or even head in and drive a few miles when needed to avoid orange... Its become a defense sport. Allot of logging and forest service routes are proposed to being blocked off, I'm one of the few who are not against this.

The local Blk bear population has increased allot too over the last three seasons. Not a big deal but added mind in camp situation.

NE WI Nat Forest.

That's the way I hunt here in OK and also when I go to South Dakota. It's my favorite way by far.

When you guys hunt, do you take shooting mats? I prefer to shoot prone and find it to be easier to conceal myself.

I do my best to get within 100 yards of my target, but sometimes, a canyon, ridge, or clearing (no cover) gets in your way from getting close. So we would watch to see which direction they're heading to have them come to us. Laying in soggy grass for 45 minutes sucks.

Does anybody use a shooting mat or take one on their hunts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you guys hunt, do you take shooting mats? I prefer to shoot prone and find it to be easier to conceal myself.

I do my best to get within 100 yards of my target, but sometimes, a canyon, ridge, or clearing (no cover) gets in your way from getting close. So we would watch to see which direction they're heading to have them come to us. Laying in soggy grass for 45 minutes sucks.

Does anybody use a shooting mat or take one on their hunts? </div></div>

If I'm not in a blind or tree, I've used those cheap camo poncho liners for same purpose (lightweight). However, the stuff under me is usally frozen.

FWIW, the material takes well to waterproofing spray or silicone.