• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who can do a good dura coat or Black-T?

Iggy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Northern California
I was going over my 700 SPSV and I noticed some brown on the receiver and barrel. When I was at the range I noticed the differences in the black. I thought then and I found out now that it was oxidation. So I took some time and cleaned it up with steel wool and a stainless brush. I still think it needs some more elbow grease but the rags came out redish brown. I'm not the first owner of the gun, I don't know the conditions it was taken care of, but this kind of worries me.

I was thinking about getting the barreled action recoated in dura coat or black t, does anyone do that? Preferably close to northern california?

I can just keep cleaning it until it's all gone, but I don't want to constantly have to worry about rubbing down with steel wool.

If anyone knows about anyone, especially if they do amazing work and are accustomed to working on 700's, I would really appreciate some help!

Re: Who can do a good dura coat or Black-T?

black T is only done by one guy in mississippi, Walter Birdsong. patent on it.

as far as I know. theres a guy on here that duracoats, seems like a good job too.

I'm curious, anyone know what they charge to Black-T a full B/A, base, bottom metal, etc?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious, anyone know what they charge to Black-T a full B/A, base, bottom metal, etc?
</div></div>
Unless they've changed the pricing, it's <span style="font-style: italic">around</span> $200.00 per firearm including disassembly, coating, and re-assembly, but that may vary depending upon whether or not you want a solid color or alternating (like on Tac Ops guns).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tac Ops X-Ray 51 in "<span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops OD</span>" (now exclusive to Tac Ops) Green-T and Black-T:</span>
X-Ray51CBwODRingsRS45Angle8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sig Sauer P228 in "<span style="font-style: italic">Naval Warfare</span>" Green-T and Black-T:</span>
BlackGreen-T228LS8x6.jpg

The best thing to do is to call <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Birdsong</span></span> and talk to Wally (the late Walter Birdsong's son).

Keith

Give William Roscoe a call. I'm sure you've seen his incredible work posted all over The Hide. He uses KG Gun Kote which is a bake on coating similar to Green or Black-T. Birdsong is a great finish but you'll have more color choices and the wait time will be considerably less with William. His contact info is below.

William Roscoe
Louisiana Precision Rifles, LLC
Phone: (318)-422-0421
email: [email protected]
http://www.louisianaprecisionrifles.com

George at GA Precision will do it. He has a full-time finisher now. He put a black matte cerakote finish on my rifle and did a great job.

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to be my bolt handle threaded and then I'll find someone to finish the whole rifle.

Their is a guy in walnut creek (bay area) that does ceracote. Do a google search for phantom finishes.

^
I know who you're talking about. I saw his site and he does great work too. He's on the top of my list because he's about an hour away.