• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who can thread my T/C Encore barrel?

Shortdraw

Alaskan Guide
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Kodiak, Alaska
This seems like a dumb question but I am having trouble with it. I have a 20" Thompson Center Encore barrel and need it threaded for a brake and the brake tapered and indexed. Apparently due to the lug design and the short length several gunsmiths I talked to today aren't able to fit the barrel in their lathe properly. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I need this done and returned to me this month...

Re: Who can thread my T/C Encore barrel?

Should be able to do it between centers in the lathe, what is the caliber and what brake are you wanting to install?

Try Southern Precision Rifles. If they can't get to you on time they will tell you. Maybe your plumber might do it. Deadlines are hard to follow sometimes. I had a brake or two installed by a "professional" who was in a hurry to go to Alaska as a guide. Both had strikes. Both barrels were ruined for accuracy until they were cut and re-crowned.

The barrel is a 375 H&H and the brake is a Holland QD copy, 1" diameter. So far RWS, Beanland, and three others that I normally work with can't do it. I don't know anything about lathes or machining so I can't clearly explain the issue. I don't really need a rush job on this but I need someone who can do this in a reasonable amount of time.

I done a 30-06 encore pistol barrel and the lug would fit between the jaws on a 3 jaw chuck.I beliece I ran it in between centers with a dog but the jaws wuld tighten down on the barrel with the 3 jaw chuck because I had to take my 6 jaw off to do it.

Bullberry was a no-go. They won't do a factory barrel. Match grade machine was going to return my call on Monday. I appreciate the responses, and am going to give Clearwater Precision a try. Gotta love Snipershide. Ask and you shall receive.

Does the brake already have threads?If so what size are they?Usually on Encore barrels there is plenty of meat to work with.Try E.Arthur Brown.If you lived near me I would say bring it and we will look at it.Post some pics of the end of the barrel and the break please sir.I know timing it is a issue but it gets done everyday.E.Arthur Brown I know can do it because they sell those JP Howitzer brake and they have t be timed as well.I never have done a break that had to be timed.

See if this will help in what I was sayimg.

IntegrityAuctionsFFL001.jpg
IntegrityAuctionsFFL002.jpg