• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who does Ionbond on NFA items?

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I've got a police trade-in Benelli M1 SBS that's in jail right now... she's pretty well beat up and needs some finish love. I'm thinking Ionbond DLC or similar would be the route to go. Can anyone here suggest someone who is willing to coat NFA items?

Thanks!

How bad do you want DLC? Bad enough to spend 4-500 bucks for it? If it were mine I'd have it parkerized.

Check with Club custom guns I am not certain they can handle the NFA toys.

It's not NFA if the barrel is shipped separately both ways and not assembled by the guy doing the treatment.

Reactions: LRI
Correct me if I'm wrong but....

It's my understanding that any FFL can be in possession of, or service, an NFA item. I am reasonably certain of this. I'm not an SOT or anything other than a Type 1 FFL and we've taken in suppressors and SBR's, etc.. from LE, the Feds, and privately owned for years. BATFE has not said one thing to us about it and I have gone through an audit(s).

Now, fitting up barrels that are below the legal length. That's a little more dicey when you don't actually have the paperwork done yet. For that we test fire on a pistol reciever (AR stuff) and we never ship a barrel assembled on the action or the lower receiver.

Assembled with no paper, you play with fire. Disassembled no one cares from the legal perspective. It's just junk on a bench.

Don't take my word as gospel. I'm no "sea lawyer", but it might be worth researching a little more as I don't think this is nearly as big a deal as you might think.

Good luck.

It's my understanding that any FFL can be in possession of, or service, an NFA item. I am reasonably certain of this. I'm not an SOT or anything other than a Type 1 FFL and we've taken in suppressors and SBR's, etc.. from LE, the Feds, and privately owned for years. BATFE has not said one thing to us about it and I have gone through an audit(s).

Now, fitting up barrels that are below the legal length. That's a little more dicey when you don't actually have the paperwork done yet. For that we test fire on a pistol reciever (AR stuff) and we never ship a barrel assembled on the action or the lower receiver.

Assembled with no paper, you play with fire. Disassembled no one cares from the legal perspective. It's just junk on a bench.

Don't take my word as gospel. I'm no "sea lawyer", but it might be worth researching a little more as I don't think this is nearly as big a deal as you might think.

Good luck.

You are correct at least according to what my area ATF agent has told me. I asked point blank if I could work on NFA items as a type 1 FFL and the answer with no hessitation was yes.

Manufacturing or transferring of NFA items is all that is gained from other types of FFL licenses. Once an item is registered as NFA I can take it into possession and return it to the owner after work is complete.

You are correct at least according to what my area ATF agent has told me. I asked point blank if I could work on NFA items as a type 1 FFL and the answer with no hessitation was yes.

Manufacturing or transferring of NFA items is all that is gained from other types of FFL licenses. Once an item is registered as NFA I can take it into possession and return it to the owner after work is complete.

Good luck.

Lots of good replies.

My issues have been with DLC type coaters not wanting to take NFA items. Never asked their reason. Not sure if they don't realize that nothing extra is needed, or if they just don't want the extra "weight" of NFA items coming in.

Shipping the barrel separate from the receiver is a good idea. NFA is a total non-issue then.

We are an 02/07 and I can confirm that anyone can gunsmith NFA items. They may choose not to, but it’s clearly legal.

Just in case anyone wants the word from the horses mouth.

1521577786532.png