• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who does their own Moly bullet coating

Re: Who does their own Moly bullet coating

What would you like to know? I have done bunches in the past, no longer use moly. Had tried it to not clean between every match (5-10 rds) in a benchrest match. Not sure it really made a big difference so I quit.
I simply got another tumbler top, filled it with steel shot and added moly (loose moly rubbing off easily). Worked well, but not waxing meant it could be messy. So I just used the little towelettes when at the range if I got it on my hands.
If you'd like to try it, I would sell my extra top with steel shot - flat rate boxes make that a viable option.

Thanks for the reply!

So do I understand that you place the moly powder in a tumbler with the shot (any size?) and bullets (not live rounds) and that's it? If so it sounds really messy!

By "not waxing" do you mean not using the moly sticks?

I assume there isn't any detrimentaly effect to the bullets?

How long do you typically run the tumbler?

I have a seperate tumbler bowl for moly. I just dump the bullets in the tumbler, add a pinch of moly, turn on the tumbler and walk away. I used to take the bullets and wash/dry them before coating, but not any more. I just open the box and dump them in. I've taken them out as soon as 15-20min. or let them set as long as a few hours. I then just take the top off the tumbler and dump the bullet into an old rag. Wipe off the excess moly from the bullets and dump them back in the box. It might get on my fingers, but I just wash my hands before licking my fingers. (grin)

i have one rifle that shows a definate preferance to moly and am out of the hornady bullets it likes, where do you get the moly from ? is it an auto parts item or midway or something? i also don't feel like try to get the moly out to switch back to something else.

hersh, I'm still on my original tub of moly that I purchased from Midway a few years back. I think the brand was "Frankford Arsenal Moly" at the time??? I know that the lyman brand "superfine" moly is still available. This might not be the cheapest place, but it's the first one that popped up in my search.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/lyman-super-moly-superfine-grade-moly-powder-7631412.html

I got the lyman kit.

I works well for big bullets with no lead exposed.

It is hard to separate the .20" ceramic media from .224" bullets.

I am now using Copper Head BBs as a media, and separating magnetically.

If lead tipped bullets are moly coated, the system can be contaminated with lead.

The easiest thing to do is throw the media and bowl away.

Now you know why those plastic tipped bullets are worth extra.

Clark, what's the need for the media at all???? I've had no issues with just bullets/moly in the tumbler....

Buy a jar of industrial moly from Midway.

Grab a few empty 500 pill aspirin bottles, a roll of 100mph tape, some saran wrap.

Use your regular tumbler.

I put 200 or so bullets into each aspirin bottle, add about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of moly.

Fold a sheet of plastic wrap into a quarter its size (4 layers), put the wrap over the bottle opening, put the cap on the bottle, screwing it down tight. Tape the whole thing shut so the cap won't come loose.

Load your tumbler, taking care to balance it properly. I put 3-4 aspirin bottles in my Dillon 2001 tumbler, buried in the media.

Tumble for 20 - 40 minutes.

Unwrap and pour out the bullets onto paper towels. Store bullets in plastic bucket w/ cover or heavy duty zip lock bags until ready to use.

1. You don't need BBs to impact plate. Bullets bumping against each other IS impact plating.

2. You don't need to wax them. Just avoid touching the bullets (what are you gonna do? rub them over and over??) I skip the wax step to help reduce unwanted buildup in the bore.

3. BE VERY careful with Moly. It is a fine dust and if you spill it, it's a bitch to clean up.

Skip the Moly, go with HbN, it does everything Moly does, but better, and has none of the negative side effects.

1+++ for 427. Much cleaner, slippery as owl s...! Comes in several sizes, smallest is 70 nanometers, next up is 0.5 microns. I prefer that size. Don't think it matters too much though. FWIW, I tried loading and shooting Moly and HxBN in my rifle alternately and they all fell in the same group. I think once you get enough friction reduction coating, any more doesn't change or help. Google Hexagonal Boron Nitride...there is a Canadian company that sells it...minimum order is 1 pound which will last the rest of your life (and the 3 friends with whom you share the cost). JMHO

thanx, from the scuttlebutt on moly i've heard, one you introduce it to a rifle, it is pretty much always addicted to it. is that the same as hbn, or can it be cleaned out and go back to traditional bullets.

i have not tried any more rifles w/ lubes because of the trend of it being a passing fad, but i do know my one rifle REALLY respects it, i think it kinda evens out any neck tensioning issue's i have. i think that is my biggest single accuracy issue that is not happening at the range.

The only issue I have with hBN is "knowing" when it is properly coated to the bullet. Unlike moly that has a uniform look, hBN being almost clear in minute quantities doesn't leave much of a coat. I have often thought about sending 1,000 bullets to SSS (David Tubb's company) and see what a commercial application of the BN would look like so I would have a reference. It costs $50 p/1K plus shipping. Still pondering the idea.

As for moly I'm along the same lines as Brad ... I have a separate bowl for the moly on my tumbler(vibratory). Just dump in bullets add about an 1/8 of a TSP(teaspoon), seal lid and turn on. Come back in a few hours, overnight and then turn off , open, dump bullets on a towel, fold over towel grab ends & vigorously shake. Then dump bullets in container. They will have a nice grey/black finish. Even AMAX.
Now I do the same with hBN but I use vitamin jars(mostly my wife's OSCAL containers) , seems to coat better contained in small quantities at a time.

is this the same stuff that is offered as an option for the DTAC 115 bullets these are offered with a Boron Niritr coating.
Have some downstairs and there a rose colored bullet??

Is this the same stuff?
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is this the same stuff that is offered as an option for the DTAC 115 bullets these are offered with a Boron Niritr coating.
Have some downstairs and there a rose colored bullet??

Is this the same stuff?
Bill </div></div>

Bullets come out clear with HBN. All the benefits of molly without the visible mess. Boron nitride is the same stuff. They come out and put them in a sock, shake them and they look like the bottom pic. Top bullets were done yesterday and hte E-tips a few weeks ago.

hbn.jpg

hbn1.jpg

Are you guy's getting better balistics using moly coated bullets?More velocity,flatter trajectories?

I have not tried the boron nitrate bullets yet
one question is the Boron Nitrite acting like a moly bullet?
What I mean is that a moly bullet say loads at 40 gr a std bullet not moly usually reduces the load about 1 to 1.5 grains?
Does this apply to the Boron Nitrited units?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not tried the boron nitrate bullets yet
one question is the Boron Nitrite acting like a moly bullet?
What I mean is that a moly bullet say loads at 40 gr a std bullet not moly usually reduces the load about 1 to 1.5 grains?
Does this apply to the Boron Nitrited units????? </div></div>

In my 300 WM with the E-Tips I must use 1.6 grains more with the HBN to get the same velocity as a naked bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clark, what's the need for the media at all???? I've had no issues with just bullets/moly in the tumbler.... </div></div>

A tumbler bowl was lead contaminated and and a new bowls were on order [curse you, varmint nightmare bullets]. I wanted triple shock bullets right then, so I put 7 bullets at a time in a 1" diameter 3" long pill bottle with moly and duck taped over the end. I then tumbled the bottle in contaminated media.

That worked well on the small scale.
I never tried it in the new bowls without media.

Maybe I should.

Thanks Clark, I understand. I don't shoot any bullets with exposed lead and I had never even given a thought to lead contamination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1+++ for 427. Much cleaner, slippery as owl s...! Comes in several sizes, smallest is 70 nanometers, next up is 0.5 microns. I prefer that size. Don't think it matters too much though. FWIW, I tried loading and shooting Moly and HxBN in my rifle alternately and they all fell in the same group. I think once you get enough friction reduction coating, any more doesn't change or help. Google Hexagonal Boron Nitride...there is a Canadian company that sells it...minimum order is 1 pound which will last the rest of your life (and the 3 friends with whom you share the cost). JMHO </div></div>

I might be interested in giving it a try, thanks for the purchase info.

A gent on another forum sold me this for $16 shipped. He gave me a deal!! Anyways I use it to tumble bullets.I bought another drum for a spare. Works great for hBN or molly. Use BB's and can do about 100 bullets at a time without straining the little tumber. It has a small 3 lb drum

index.jpg

Great info I wiull be using the BN mix from now on Moly is a pin in the ass in my opinion

+1 om the moly practices. would like to know more about the hBN so someone please pm me with a web sight for it. I use the heck out of the moly and it works in my setups but it makes me itch something fierce

What I don't like about moly is Lyman Moly bore cream burnished into the bore, when the first shot is fired, I don't want to breath those fumes.

Even worse is aerosol spray moly for coating bullets. The solvent carrier is toxic and gives a bad high.

What I do like about moly is killing 1,000 rodents at 3500 fps and still having 1 moa accuracy without ever cleaning the bore.

I moly with 2 tumblers...one for moly + bullets, have done as many as a 1000 at a time; and one for polishing (so to speak)/or wiping off excess moly. I have hot glued felt cloth on the inside of the polishing tumbler and made many strips of cloth hot glued with washers that I just toss in the tumbler. I generally run the moly tumbler for an hour, then the polishing tumbler for 1/2 hour.

Technical process:

1. dump bullets in moly tumbler, add moly, turn on. Little moly goes a long way.
2. dump bullets in polishing tumbler, add felt cloths, turn on.
3. Return to bullet containers waiting to be loaded.
4. Wash hands, if I didn't use latex gloves.

I just throw the bullets into a empty 1 pound jug of Hodgdon power and let it go in a vibratory case cleaner for about an hour or so. Then I take it out and wipe the bullets down with a peice of cloth. No separate tumbler, no BBs, no prior cleaning of the bullets.

This might get kind long, appologies up front. preface- i have not coated bullets,yet. Researched doing so before i planned my 1st rifle build; i'm still undecided on this one at this time...
NOW, i have no idea if this applies to hBn and/or Tungsten (sp?)Disulfide; but, while surfing for some ideas on ways to home coat, I came upon some dude that had his own site for DYI coatings. Not real professional looking site or anything, but the info really was good. He recommended that bullets be coated in stages. Coat w/your choice of product(he used moly) for 10-15 minutes; polish for 10-15(if tumble polish or just towel off if not), repeat 2 or 3 times as needed to get a REAL deep glossy finish(think of a new car gloss shine). He didnt wax either, just the moly. I gotta say that those were the best looking pills i've ever seen! I'm sure that time is of some value and everyone has their level of what they are willing to do to get to their end result, but is it really necessary? I just don't know; but when something looks like time was really spent to get it right, it usually ends up being "better".