• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who else has tried to use Berger VLDs in an AR-10?

Mikee36

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2013
SLC, UT
I just tried to do some load developing for my LWRC REPR today using some Berger 175 VLDs and couldn't have had worse luck. They will not feed into my gun. It looks to me like the ogive is too flat so as the round is being pushed into the chamber the tip of the bullet doesn't go up fast enough so it hits the flat area between the feeding ramp and the chamber. I tried different seating depths and it still does this every time. Has anyone else had this problem? If so were you able to find a solution? I mean other than a different bullet? Thanks in advance

Mikee

I have never tried VLD in my gas gun but the thought occurs that you should try the 175 OTM instead. It is mag length tolerant and a slightly different shape so maybe it would work better.

My POF's favorite bullet is the 155 VLD, but rifles differ. I load them to 2.810" OAL, never a jam.

I've never tried the 175, but I had no issues with the 185 VLD either. Didn't load many, they didn't show much promise in my rifle.

I don't really have any constructive advice other than trying a different bullet (not what you're looking for) or loading the 175's short, like 2.780"-ish.

Yeah I will probably just stick with SMKs and sort them. If I come across some OTMs or Classic Hunters I may give them a shot. I just wanted to see what VLDs could do in that gun. Maybe I could try the 185 VLD.
Hey RyeDaddy that surprises me your POF likes that light of a bullet. I had a P308 and it loved 175 SMKs. I loaded the 175VLDs to 2.810 and they jammed and conveniantly seated the bullet further for me. Much further. They still wouldn't load when they were extremely short. They just won't work withouth modifying the gun. I am curious if the 155 or 185 VLDs will work though. I don't really want to pay 50 bucks a box to find out though. Thanks for the info guys

I'm surprised my 10" twist barrel likes lighter bullets better too, but whatcha gonna do? Best bullets in my rifle have been 155-168 grains. Shooting the 168 Amax now, but did great with the 168 Berger Classic Hunter. That's a fantastic bullet if you can find them. Easy to load and higher BC than the 175 SMK, just food for thought.

If you wanna try the 185 VLD send me a PM with your address, I'll send you 20 or so to see if they work.

The REPR is supposed to like the 175 grain bullets. I will be wringing mine out for the first time this week. I will load 168 grain VLDs as well as 175 grain Bergers and 165 Grain ProHunters. I will report back on Thursday.