• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Else Loves That First Cup of Coffee in the Morning

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
Honestly, I wake up looking forward to that awesome hot beverage of caffeinated water that has passed through the grounds of beans that have been roasted to perfection, ground perfectly, and has had water at the perfect temperature to extract all the awesome from them.

I recently found this coffee online and it is FANTASTIC. I grind my own whole beans. I brought in a lot of it in panic that maybe coffee supplies would dry up. I even have a back up hand-cranked grinder if power goes down. Camp stoves are also available and plenty of stored water...anything for the morning libation.

Check this stuff out:
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 8.52.30 AM.png

Yes, I go back/forth between Sumatra and Kenyan.

The key, to me, is having the right equipment that gets the water up to the right HIGH temp, close to, but not at boiling. That's the reason people usually say French Press coffee is the best they have ever had. When I have the time and patience I use a French Press. The reason? Simply because you literally pour water that is just a smidge under boiling and you have the perfect water temp for the best extraction of the coffee bean grounds. But I usually don't have the patience, so I use Cuisinart drip machines, they get the temp up high enough to get a good brew.

I fully anticipate somebody will post up a pick of a can of Maxwell House pre-ground with a perdolator and declare it as good as anything else. :)

I prefer a lighter or med roast. I don't stick to any particular brand, but the wife keeps about six months worth in stock.

My friend who roasts his own used to always have trouble getting consistent roast, then he switched to roasting his coffee beans in an air pop popcorn popper. Now he can get consistent results because it is easier to see the color as he is roasting them.

I prefer a lighter or med roast. I don't stick to any particular brand, but the wife keeps about six months worth in stock.

My friend who roasts his own used to always have trouble getting consistent roast, then he switched to roasting his coffee beans in an air pop popcorn popper. Now he can get consistent results because it is easier to see the color as he is roasting them.

I've not gone that far, so I can always say, "I'm NOT that much of a coffee snob." I tried roasting green beans in an iron skillet...it is an acquired skill."

Reactions: Dragonscout25
Yes, I go back/forth between Sumatra and Kenyan.

The key, to me, is having the right equipment that gets the water up to the right HIGH temp, close to, but not at boiling. That's the reason people usually say French Press coffee is the best they have ever had. When I have the time and patience I use a French Press. The reason? Simply because you literally pour water that is just a smidge under boiling and you have the perfect water temp for the best extraction of the coffee bean grounds. But I usually don't have the patience, so I use Cuisinart drip machines, they get the temp up high enough to get a good brew.

I fully anticipate somebody will post up a pick of a can of Maxwell House pre-ground with a perdolator and declare it as good as anything else. :)

Temperature is huge. I swear the difference even 10 degrees makes is obvious.The below link makes about the best coffee I’ve had that wasn’t Elm’s in Seattle. I always have a steady supply of a Peet’s medium roast.

Temperature is huge. I swear the difference even 10 degrees makes is obvious.The below link makes about the best coffee I’ve had that wasn’t Elm’s in Seattle. I always have a steady supply of a Peet’s medium roast.

It is interesting how the context in which you are drinking coffee makes a HUGE difference. Some of the best cups of Joe were made at the campfire after a night in the back country camping out under the starts.

Interesting! I'll have to check that one out next time I need to replace my coffee maker.

Here's another gizmo I've found very useful for storing whole beans. It's not expensive and when you push the lid down, it evacuates the air in the container.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot
At the end of the day...it's all about the caffeine, we all know that, whether we want to admit it or not. Just like alcohol...no matter the flavor, color, taste or bottle....it's about the chemical we crave.

The caffeine comment reminds me, back when I was trucking grain daily I had the bright idea I was gonna get a cup of coffee at Sheetz on the way up the road to a mill. For some reason my genius ass thought it would be a good idea to try out the shit they call "nitro" or something like that. I swear I didn't stop shaking for a full day. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack any time I stopped moving.
Could have been Rutters now that I think about it.

Folgers.

Yeah, I am poor.

I was a Folgers drinker until someone gifted us a giant bag of Gevalia. After the bag was empty, that first cup of Folgers tasted like an ashtray. So we drank Gevalia for a couple years while looking for something cheaper that agreed with our newly "refined" palettes, lol.

After trying Community, Dunkin, and like a dozen other grocery store coffees, I found that the Great Value brand coffee from Walmart actually tastes nearly as good as Gevalia. Dirt cheap, too.

The caffeine comment reminds me, back when I was trucking grain daily I had the bright idea I was gonna get a cup of coffee at Sheetz on the way up the road to a mill. For some reason my genius ass thought it would be a good idea to try out the shit they call "nitro" or something like that. I swear I didn't stop shaking for a full day. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack any time I stopped moving.
Could have been Rutters now that I think about it.

I had a similar experience after I tried one of those monster energy drink things in the huge can. Geesh....how anyone develops a taste for those sugary cans of piss water is beyond me.

I was a Folgers drinker until someone gifted us a giant bag of Gevalia. After the bag was empty, that first cup of Folgers tasted like an ashtray. So we drank Gevalia for a couple years while looking for something cheaper that agreed with our newly "refined" palettes, lol.

After trying Community, Dunkin, and like a dozen other grocery store coffees, I found that the Great Value brand coffee from Walmart actually tastes nearly as good as Gevalia. Dirt cheap, too.

Dunkin......ugh.

Reactions: Odysseus1911

ALDI whole bean coffees are quite decent and good prices, as per the usual.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
I had a similar experience after I tried one of those monster energy drink things in the huge can. Geesh....how anyone develops a taste for those sugary cans of piss water is beyond me.

A guy I worked with back then had a habit of leaving an empty can of red bull behind in any piece of equipment or truck he ran for more than an hour. Just the smell would make me want to hurl. It was worse than another guy who would always leave an empty Mt Dew can with some cigarette butts in it behind. I've never been one for energy drinks so I've not even tried any of them, with the exception of the orange Jolt. Fuck me running, I'd cover some ground in a day with a turbo till if I drank one or a few of them.

A guy I worked with back then had a habit of leaving an empty can of red bull behind in any piece of equipment or truck he ran for more than an hour. Just the smell would make me want to hurl. It was worse than another guy who would always leave an empty Mt Dew can with some cigarette butts in it behind. I've never been one for energy drinks so I've not even tried any of them, with the exception of the orange Jolt. Fuck me running, I'd cover some ground in a day with a turbo till if I drank one or a few of them.

Yes, I tried a Red Bull ... once.

Reactions: EddieNFL
Didn't know Aldi was a store. Don't have them in this part of the country.

ALDI is awesome. If you do a bit of online research, it's fascinating to learn how they operate and hold prices down, everything from how they stock the shelves, to how they put bar codes all over their products to make it super-fast to check out. Their checkers are blindingly fast. You will rarely be able to unload your cart on to the conveyor belt fast enough to keep up with the check out clerk. Staff is super busy BUT super helpful when you ask a question. Some people look down their noses at ALDI because they do not coddle you with a "deli" or "pharmacy" or "bakery" or ... you name it. That's precisely why you will literally pay usually HALF of what you pay at the big brand name grocery store chains. Even their ALDI-brand food are usually as good as if not better. PLUS they stock a surprisingly amount of speciality items from Germany (they are owned/operated by a German family). ALDI is huge in Germany itself. They also now own Trader Joe's. We have become big believers and users of ALDI.

I like Ille medium roast from my Jura.
I will second Gevalia too.

Late 2001 in my first deployment for OEF, I brought my whole Gevalia kit and shared with the troops. I was bestowed the moniker "pimp daddy of crack coffee".

Reactions: bab029

How would you describe the acidity of that Copper Moon? Just a faint touch seems to improve any coffee (for me) and a lack of that particular flavor note makes it all taste kinda flat.

I have my flame suit on and am ready.
When I was young my Mother and both of my Grandmothers would never let my brothers or me have coffee and told us,"You have to be a grown-up or an adult to have coffee." That's what all of them would say. I think they mostly wanted it for themselves and didn't want to waste it on we younguns. All of them would be on a coffee Jones when they got up and the smell of that shit brewing would be the first thing we smelled when we entered the kitchen area.
My Grandfather was raised way out in the boondocks and coffee was a luxury they could not afford so he didn't drink it either. I learned a lot from him.
Over the years as I have aged in places like the Army and at work I always looked at all of the coffee drinkers and thought to myself,"This is what addiction is all about."

Making a long story short, I never became an "Adult", I have never been a "grown-up" as defined by my Mother and Grandmothers and I don't drink that vile smelling shit in order to get me going in the morning, I just get up and start cranking. I don't need it to make me shit.
Over the years I have observed many that just have to have their coffee, Joe, Mud etc. in order to get going for the day and in many cases I would prepare it for them or give them what they needed in order to get them off of their ass and on their feet so we could do what we needed to do, just like"The Pusher Man" and felt sorry for them that they needed that kick in the ass to get going. FM
I would rather have a can of stale beer and cornflakes for breakfast than a cup of that horrible smelling shit and be on my way.

Well, as I said, my flame suit is on and I am ready and I know I am not the common person and do know there are damned few others like me out there.

I have my flame suit on and am ready.
When I was young my Mother and both of my Grandmothers would never let my brothers or me have coffee and told us,"You have to be a grown-up or an adult to have coffee." That's what all of them would say. I think they mostly wanted it for themselves and didn't want to waste it on we younguns. All of them would be on a coffee Jones when they got up and the smell of that shit brewing would be the first thing we smelled when we entered the kitchen area.
My Grandfather was raised way out in the boondocks and coffee was a luxury they could not afford so he didn't drink it either. I learned a lot from him.
Over the years as I have aged in places like the Army and at work I always looked at all of the coffee drinkers and thought to myself,"This is what addiction is all about."

Making a long story short, I never became an "Adult", I have never been a "grown-up" as defined by my Mother and Grandmothers and I don't drink that vile smelling shit in order to get me going in the morning, I just get up and start cranking. I don't need it to make me shit.
Over the years I have observed many that just have to have their coffee, Joe, Mud etc. in order to get going for the day and in many cases I would prepare it for them or give them what they needed in order to get them off of their ass and on their feet so we could do what we needed to do, just like"The Pusher Man" and felt sorry for them that they needed that kick in the ass to get going. FM
I would rather have a can of stale beer and cornflakes for breakfast than a cup of that horrible smelling shit and be on my way.

Well, as I said, my flame suit is on and I am ready and I know I am not the common person and do know there are damned few others like me out there.

No judgment here. It is an acquired taste. I doubt that only but a very few, if they are honest, picks up that first cup of black coffee and says, "Wow....that tastes wonderful!" No, they drink it and enjoy the effect of the caffeine, then they keep drinking it. They cut it with milk, or sweeten it (humans love sweet) and so forth.

I envy, in a way, those who never develop a "taste" for coffee or don't need it every day, like most of us do.

As for the rest of your post....well....

Yeh, got to have at least one pot, along with a smoke or two, before I even think about breakfast. Then after breakfast, it's one more pot. Life is good. We're Maxwell/Folgers people (no Starbucks for us). Sit on the porch and watch the world head out to work and say, "I remember when we used to be them!". I'm part of the neighborhood watch team now and lovin' it. Mac :cool:

FM, I hear you. For the longest time I too didn't drink coffee at all. Then just before I hit 30 I was working 12 hr night shifts right after 12 hr day shifts. (quick flip) and then I started drinking it.

Now, myself and My Lady each have one cup of coffee in the morning. But it is turbo-nuclear-super-concentrated. Espresso!!!!! We've had a few different espresso makers/machines here, and I'm just wondering if any of ya'll have them/use them/recommend one in particular?

1 cup of this stuff a day is easily the equivalent of a pot of coffee. I highly recommend it. :D

I started drinking it in college. My roomate used to drink "Tab" ... yet, Tab. And he claimed he drank his five glasses of that crap in the morning "for the taste." No, for the caffeine. I particularly enjoyed the Sunday morning big breakfasts in the cafeteria when they made fresh donuts. We all gorged on donuts and coffee and then were wired up for the rest of the day. :)

ESPRESSO....yes, the nectar of heaven, sent from the coffee gods. I LOVE THAT STUFF. But if I drink more than three I'm so buzzed and shaky I can hardly think straight.

It is interesting how the context in which you are drinking coffee makes a HUGE difference. Some of the best cups of Joe were made at the campfire after a night in the back country camping out under the starts.
Those commercial style percs make hella good coffee too and there is always something to be enjoyed about a cup while camping.

I’m gonna order that canister. What a neat looking gadget.

I had to google what a 'Jura' is, (the jury's still out) and WOW,,,,, I need one. I especially like the "reconditioned" E6 but that's still a grand.

But, I need scopes more, so it'll have to wait. Just like the scopes have been waiting, but anyways. :D

Reactions: Maggot
Found the true snob.

I had a cup from a Jura.....awful good, but sure haven’t bought one yet. And yeah, Illy Moka is good stuff. Might be hard to get for a while....
I'll admit that I am a coffee and booze snob. Fine. It's true.
I really hate Starbucks though. And not just for its politics.
Best coffee I've had bar none is when I was in South America. I don't know what they used or how they made it, but random spots in Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Argentina, Brazil and of course Columbia-- it was all very similar and just extraordinary.
Some Blue Mountain I had in Jamaica was pretty good too.