• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has an AR10?

amnfoxtrot

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2011
Hey guys, im new here, and im looking to get an AR10.24in barrel. just wondering how every one likes it, and what distance i can expect to shoot at accuratly??? I plan to start out at 100yrd, and work my way up, i bought a nightforce 8-32X56 scope, and would like a nice scope, i love the look of the AR10, but with me being new to distance shooting, i would take suggestions, im looking to spend around 1500 MAX. what kind of suggestions do you guys have?? thanks guys, did a search but didnt find much..

Re: Who has an AR10?

I have shot an ar10. It will consistantly hit same hole at 100. I shoot 178 amax's. Can easily hit a 4x4 inch square at 500. I have a dpms 24" and have had about the same accuracy with it. Golfball at 500yds took a couple shots. Basically the ar-10 and the dpms lr308 will shoot better than me. I would have opted for the ar10 but I couldn't find a 24" barrel one for a reasonable price.

either the Armalite or the DPMS i found a 24 inch barrel with a quad rail system for a DPMS

My AR10 has no problems out to 1000, and it is an 18" Noveske .308. I would expect 1 MOA accuracy out of an AR-10. Anything better is icing.

I have a JP LRP O7 chambered in 260 Rem. This rile is not only as accurate as my custom built bolt gun but from a "practical accuracy" standpoint it's much better. Here are some pictures of the rifle and five shot grops from 200 meters. Unfortunitely this gun cost me considerably more than $1,500.
I'm not sure what to suggest for $1,500 - sorry
hx8595.jpg

mj910y.jpg

b5juac.jpg

My armalite 10T with the 24" barrel shoot like shit, replaced it with the noveske (pac nor) 21" and PWS brakes and it is now a tack driver all the way to 1000, with bergers 150 and some varget sub 1/2 MOA are easily achieved.
hope this helps.

Komifornian,, can you send those pictures to my e-mail, im currently stationed in afghanistan, and its giving me the red X of death!!!! i would appreciate it. thanks..

N6 21" Heavy 7.62mm......is this a good rifle??? i dont mind paying the extra, i know the saying you get what you pay for, and i dont want to skimp on my guns, ive done it on other things, and it bit me in the ass. sorry for all the questions, im trying to learn as much as i can befor i get home!

It's more expensive by about a $1000, but honestly, the GAP-10 is an amazing rifle. Lowlight put 3 rounds into the exact same hole with his the first time he shot it. Hits out to 1000 at sea level too. It uses a bunch of POF parts, but stays DI, and is all reworked by George and crew at GA Precision. Check it! I wish it would have been available when I was looking for an AR10 platform!

instead of showing the pictures, its showing a red X, im on a government computer

For a $1,500 budget, take a serious look at the RRA offerings. They have a couple that will come in under that price and I'd put em a few steps above the DPMS as fit and finish and overall quality.

Go with a DPMS LR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shoot it until you can shoot better than it can. Then upgrade it with a custom Creedmoor barrel. Should be able to find one for under $1200.

Yes The N6 is a great rifle I have the 18" and love it!
They are a little less than MSRP on Riflegear.com but they are still just about 2x your original budget.
IMG_0088-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterMcGavin33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes The N6 is a great rifle I have the 18" and love it!
They are a little less than MSRP on Riflegear.com but they are still just about 2x your original budget.
</div></div>

Well then, I see why you are recommending it. I mean if he has 1500 to spend.......

There is a section on here to post your pics if that's all you're after.

I have an 18 inch N6 and love it, I've shot out to 1,100 yards with it. As previously stated that is twice your budget. I think your most cost effective way of getting into an AR10 is to buy a stripped lower, parts kit, and buttstock assembly, and a complete target upper from Armalite or a slightly used one. The Armalite target barrels are loathar Walther barrels I believe, and pretty close to the accuracy of my Noveske. Shop around for the best prices. If you are military or LE, don't be afraid to call up a company and ask them if they offer discounts. If you are only looking for a .308, I would rethink the 24 inch barrel though, I really don't think you gain anything.

We had a guy at work, just put one together for about that same price.

If you go to Armalite's site you could buy a target upper for $998 + a complete lower for $420 that brings you to $1418 instead paying $1892 for the complete gun.... Weird, exact same parts but you save $474 by buying them separate. You could maybe save $100 more if you buy the lower stripped and put it together yourself.

Upper:
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=U10TBF&Category=8be021dd-3f84-4aca-bfa1-afcb5ddcc9ba

Lower:
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=L10B&Category=8780cda4-b901-4b0c-bc96-d7c6ca2b924a

Really like mine. It is the Armalite version. Just have to find time to get out and shoot it.

AR10008.jpg

Don't get cheap on scope rings. I have a DPMS LR.308 SASS. It will shot 1/2 MOA if I do my part. I have only had it out to 200 yards at this point. I have seen them as low as 1,800.00 in Ohio. This will include a Harris bi-pod, Magpul adjustable stock, and iron sights.
[img:left][/img]

I have made the decision on getting the N6 HEavy barrel 21" i wanted to save the other money and spend it on my bike but hell, i suck at riding anyways, so why spend the money and have it wasted when i crash. so far, here is the list im looking at getting,

N6 Noveske 21" upper
Armalite AR10 Lower
Night force 8-32 X 56 - already purchased

I have a bi-pod i plan on using for a while thats on my AR15, what else should i look into getting? MAN! guns are expensive..

Well looks like he is buying one, so ya I was way out of line to suggest a better rifle. Get over yourself...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AmnFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have made the decision on getting the N6 HEavy barrel 21" i wanted to save the other money and spend it on my bike but hell, i suck at riding anyways, so why spend the money and have it wasted when i crash. so far, here is the list im looking at getting,

N6 Noveske 21" upper
Armalite AR10 Lower

I have a bi-pod i plan on using for a while thats on my AR15, what else should i look into getting? MAN! guns are expensive.. </div></div>

I think you'll be happy with your decision. The Noveske is an excellent AR. To answer your last question, spend your money on a reloading setup and start rolling your own for your rig if you don't already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AmnFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have made the decision on getting the N6 HEavy barrel 21" i wanted to save the other money and spend it on my bike but hell, i suck at riding anyways, so why spend the money and have it wasted when i crash. so far, here is the list im looking at getting,

N6 Noveske 21" upper
Armalite AR10 Lower

I have a bi-pod i plan on using for a while thats on my AR15, what else should i look into getting? MAN! guns are expensive.. </div></div>

Same configuration as I have, 21" Noveske on a ArmaLite NM lower, PRS, SWS, Atlas. I waiting for the new Nightforce to be released to upgrade the glass. Shoots moa with DAQ surplus. Just passed 450 rounds with zero problems.

AR10noveske02.jpg

Here is what I got for $950.
It's a DPMS LR-260 with a 20" 1-7.5 twist stainless Wilson heavy barrel.
At 2590 ft/sec the bullets may start slow, but they end fast.
It shoots just under 1 moa until velocity variations at distance expand the vertical.
My handloads were shooting about 0.75 moa wind, 1.5 moa elev. at 1000 yards this winter.
Not to shabby for a gun that loads itself.
A 20" Kreiger with the new "tight" barrel extension is replacing the factory barrel.
I hope it performs better.

23t1qn6.jpg

10wmv7p.jpg

what about building one? its not hard to put them together and then you can use custom parts and make it a shooter...thats what I did. mine will shoot Sub MOA with match ammo and last week I shot a group that was .61 inches with handloads.... and mine will also go the distance as well... and I have an 18inch barrel...

Here is my little contribution to the fray. Armalite ar10 a4 national match. Shoots 1/2 moa through an acog with 168 grain sierra match kings (factory federal gmm 168). Can't wait to get a nightforce for it. 20 inch barrel. I saw one guy on here saying his armalite ar10t didn't shoot well, but immediately said something about 150 grain ammo. those rifles are optimized for 168, and shoot best from 165 and 175 generally with the 1:10 twist barrel that comes in them. Anyway, love mine, couldn't be happier. Put a buddy's leupold on it, and it shot as good as some very nice bolt guns i have seen. Certainly capable of sub half moa out to long range.

ar10andar15pics013.jpg

This is pretty typical of a first group out of my SASS (before scope adjustments). It seems to always through the 1st round.

TgtGfx.jpg

x2 for RRA. I've shot one that was easily sub MOA. I also have an AR-15 that I really enjoy shooting.

For $1500, do a build. You can get a POF lower/upper & rail combo from the group buy section pretty cheaply. Get a Noveske or Rainier barrel and an Armalite bolt. You can probably do so for less than $1500 if you do it right.

This was my build.
34s1phs.jpg

A few things I learned:

A PSR stock is pointless
Aluminum tactical rings are helpful
The right rings solve the problem an expensive adjustable cheek piece seeks to solve. Carbon fiber float tube helps reduce weight also.
DPMS bolt firing pin holes are too large - allows for primer extrusion.
Adjustable gas block is helpful

I just came back from the range with my OBR, this thing in SWEET!

OBR001.jpg

I have to take some new pics, this was the day it came in, sorry.

I don't know where you learned that a PRS is useless, or who taught it to you, but i think that is not necessarily a true statement of fact, but rather personal preference. You are correct that the right rings are entirely important, and they fix a lot of problems to an extent, but for certain applications with certain sized optics, rings won't fix the problem. If you want a good custom fit length of pull and comb height to get a consistent cheek weld quickly and to help consistency of setup behind the rifle, then the PRS is absolutely not useless. It is infinitely more solid, stable, and adaptable than a standard fixed a2 stock. Different strokes for different folks, but I think there are about a million people running around that would disagree with that blanketed statement. Just my two cents.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Bean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know where you learned that a PRS is useless, or who taught it to you, but i think that is not necessarily a true statement of fact, but rather personal preference. You are correct that the right rings are entirely important, and they fix a lot of problems to an extent, but for certain applications with certain sized optics, rings won't fix the problem. If you want a good custom fit length of pull and comb height to get a consistent cheek weld quickly and to help consistency of setup behind the rifle, then the PRS is absolutely not useless. It is infinitely more solid, stable, and adaptable than a standard fixed a2 stock. Different strokes for different folks, but I think there are about a million people running around that would disagree with that blanketed statement. Just my two cents....... </div></div><span style="font-style: italic">Infinitely</span> more solid and stable than an A2? Hardly. It's more adjustable. Nothing more, and the cheek rest is too short- unavoidably, I understand, but none the less. But it does have a cool hook on the bottom.
wink.gif

ETA...no one said they were useless. I think "pointless" was the term. Big difference. You also mentioned something above about a 1:10 twist. <span style="font-style: italic">Most</span> Armalite .308 barrels are 1:11.25, even the older "T" barrels. It wasn't until just recently they went to the 1:10 twist in the T barrel. The NM barrel may have always been that way, I don't know.
Just FYI.

I'd have to agree.

The adjustability of the PRS seems more like a stop-gap solution to a problem that shouldn't exist if the rifle was built with some forethought in the first place.
The A-2 stock is solid, and much lighter.
Personally I prefer the ACS as it has a long cheek-weld.
All opinion of coarse.