• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Who has built their own night vision?

hrt4me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2001
Dallas, Texas
I'd be interested in hearing your experiences, learning your tips and seeing photos of your final product.

Re: Who has built their own night vision?

I've built quite a few... I'm just working on a new design for a Gen3 monocular at the moment, but most commonly I teach people to make their own NVD out of PVC piping (plastic water pipe) and cheap surplus lenses with cascade tubes - which work pretty good - better than most Gen2 and some Gen3.

Here's a pic of my PVS-514 (Modified PVS-5) and my Aluminium cascade based spotter, made with a friend's help. Also a Russian Gen1 scope I converted to a Gen3.

Regards
David

david-finished.jpg

david-almost_complete.jpg

david-cascade-completed.jpg

david-completed.jpg

david-new-5.jpg

Nah, the roo's on my farm are all semi-tame and have been there longer than I have.. They are safe from me, but I wonder if they realize that roo tastes pretty good
smile.gif

I have stalked them a few times wearing my goggles and can get pretty close, within a few meters, even when making a lot of noise, but then they go hopping off at speed and might take out a fence, so I don't do that too often. Mostly I leave them alone... Though I was a bit annoyed that one snuck into my house and crapped in it. Lucky I wasn't there
smile.gif

Anyway, you can see the build details on my website: http://aunv.blackice.com.au

Look under projects.

David.

PM sent
question on logging-in to Site in your link ?
...thanks

There's not much on the site that needs a password - it's either bandwidth intensive stuff which I don't have the link speed to handle, or it's incomplete articles.

Most of it is all publically accessible -
smile.gif

Regards
David

I also tried to look at the Projects section of your site and encountered a Login/Password prompt

It's just the first link, which I *still* haven't finished writing... Ironic given the subject of this thread.
frown.gif

The rest of the links on that page all work though
smile.gif

David

<span style="font-weight: bold">I also tried to look at the Projects section of your site and encountered a Login/Password prompt</span>

His link is taking me directly in without asking for anything.

yes the link provided automatically logs you in as Guest for browsing around .
but (i think) like me or others are seeing is, to access the (projects/ build your own) section of the website. It asks for log-in/password .

I don't think he has it totally done yet either ( projects section ) of the Aussy NVsite, but I am really looking forward to reading through it when possible.

also looked the site over but 'saw no Link' to ( Register)/user name-password for Set-Up access account on 'AussyNVform'. only saw a 'log-in' clicky .

Yes, that's correct. You're automatically assigned guest access when you connect. The only reasons a page cannot be accessed if there's a link to it is that it's not finished ( all unfinished works are still "private" ) or that it's bandwidth intensive, such as the library - which only contains Milspecs at the moment.

There is only one article on the site at all that is mostly complete and unaccessible and that's one on discussing LIFs and how to use them to allow you to use a small green torch for reading maps and the likes while you're using a head-mounted monocular... But I haven't published the details because it publishes some things that aren't fully known about LIFs and as these are still classified technology, I'm just trying to work out what to censor. It's all public domain material ( hence ITAR does not cover it ) but the rules on most forums is that some of what is there cannot be linked to and I tend to respect those requests.

When I work out what is suitable for inclusion in that page, I'll put it up as well.

Thanks for the feedback on the pages though - I never really realized how it must look like to most people who click on a link and get asked for the password.

I still haven't written all the code for the webpage yet so some things ( like adding users ) are still done by hand on email request.

But trust me when I say most of what is interesting on the site is fully publically accessible.
smile.gif
And my sincere apologies for causing confusion on the matter to all who visited... That's something I'll add a note on sometime this week.

Regards
David

Hey mate, kudos to you for even tackling and putting the hard work into putting-up your own NV web-sit . No need for you to be apologizing for anything . I should be giving my thanks for your efforts .

David, I'm looking forward to reading what you have compiled from open sources regarding LIFs.

take a look at youtube believe it or not. its not a weapon light, but a guy made a really simple device from an old video camera.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L9mwGeDAxhk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L9mwGeDAxhk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David, I'm looking forward to reading what you have compiled from open sources regarding LIFs. </div></div>

Me too, please do post the information.

There is a related post over on the wolverine site dealing with the light cutoff filters for AVS-6/9 goggles.

I was familiar with the kipkay/youtube style setup, but what would it take to add one to a scope? Just thinking about a quick detach mount that can be fitted to place the camera at the right eye relief... not much. But would you get a decent image? If the delicate portions were sealed in dielectric gel and a case, recoil wouldn't seem to be much of a problem.

Kind of like a poor mans Elcan day/night. Could be nice for night 'yote hunting.

Edit: What I'm thinking is a $69 12mp sony easyshare with the IR filter removed. Would that work? I cannot find the lux rating for any of these... if it's 5 it won't work, but if it's .01 it might be possible if I understand this right. But it's cheap, decent resolution, and comes with controls, recording capabilities, and a screen.

Some of the UK guys are working on such homemade camera-based ideas, but they really are only the sort if thing you want to try if you're outside the US and NV is prohibitively expensive. Don't expect more than airgun ranges ( about 10m ) either - gain is a real problem and you need lots of IR and the UK guys can use IR lasers.

Inside the US you can always make your own add-on with something like a PVS-5 as the base - get a C-mount lens holder and a 50mm lens and you're set -
smile.gif
Then just make yourself the mounting bracket. It's not fancy, but it's cheap... And does work. Well, a little bit anyway - it will need some extra IR under most circumstances.

Regards
David.

im about to try the toy ones advertised on t.v.
Ill keep you posted.
( redneck, but if it works.... Im shooting hogs at 35' at night.