• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Who has run a 1-8, 2-10 scope behind a Simrad?

McNamara0851

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
I hunt coyotes in central Illinois with a 203 Simrad. For the last two seasons I’ve been really happy with the 4-14 SHV F1 behind it, but I believe there are better options. I’ve come to realization that my FOV is shit with this setup. I lost at least two coyotes last night that I couldn’t pickup again until it was too late. I’m looking for someone who has personally mounted a 1-8x, or similar lpvo behind a Simrad to comment on the performance. I’ve spoke with a few guys that thought it should work, but I’d like to know with a bit of certainty before I drop a dick load of cash on a scope. I’ve shot coyotes from 50-375y this year, and I can’t think of a time when I went over 10x. Really contemplating a gen3 1-10 razor, but I don’t know if the reticle is fine enough to shoot a coyote at 400. The main reason I question the ability to use all 100’+ FOV with a 1-8 or 1-10 scope is that I get a black ring around my sight picture with my SHV when I drop it below 5x which effectively gives me a field of view below 20’. Please leave me some insightful comments or helpful bits of info like, “you’re a dipshit if you put a 1-10 on a night rig”. Any little bit helps. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have no personal experience with a simrad or any other clip-on with a lpvo. I do have some time with a pvs30 and a pm2. I'm pretty certain you will not gain any FOV if you're already maximizing it at 5x with your current optic. You would further demagnify, but you're essentially zooming out on the image produced by the simrad, and limited by it's FOV.

That is exactly my concern, thanks for rephrasing it in understandable terms. I worded it like a real window licker. I’ve been told that FOV is determined by the day scope, so essentially I’m trying to figure out how low I can go before I experience diminishing returns. Whats the highest FOV scope that Simrad users have had success with? Have I reached that limit with my current setup? I don’t have a LPVO readily available without a pretty good amount of fkn around. I don’t really want to pull this scope out of the rings mid season, solely because of the high amount of confidence I have in the setup currently.

Last edited:
1-6 works great and I use it for night coyote and simrad . ..but I have not really pay much attention to FOV using different scopes . low variable like 1-6 and 1-8 is just my favorite ar15 scope, so that what I run with . Like the post above though, it is most likely FOV is determined by your NV that your day scope is sitting in front of .
when you do use a low variable like a 1-6 or 1-8, ( and mount behind pvs9 ) . you really cant use 1x to 2 x because of tunnel vision on the view, and they wont open-up till 3x on your image .

I've used my KN203s extensively w/ 2.5-10 optics and numerous times w/ 1-6s and 1-8s. While the 3-15x44 is admittedly my favorite, 2.5-10 and 1-8s work great as well. That being said, dropping the magnification below ~2.5 no longer provides any wider of a FOV which defeats the purpose IMO (tunnel vision). If using FFP, which I greatly prefer unless it is a 1-x LPVO, dropping the magnification below that threshold is even more counterproductive since it make the reticle harder to see/use. This effect will, of course, vary to some extent based on the design/thickness of whatever reticle you are using. Same goes w/ the other I^2 clip-ons I have used as far as the tunnel vision goes.

I was either unaware of the NF 2.5-10x42, or as @dms416 might have told me, I’ve been ignoring it for years because it wasn’t a PRS scope. The adjustable parallax, simple illuminated reticle, and 44’ Fov are appealing to me. I also like the idea of the 42mm obj over the 24, solely for hunting use as the sun is setting or rising and I’m running without the Simrad. I believe we’re starting to narrow it down.

I'm already seriously considering a SIMRAD as my next NV purchase after I recover from getting my -14 and BNVGs set up, so let me flip this around - what about MAX usable magnification on a SIMRAD? I mostly have 3-12 and 4-30x optics with 50mm objectives, and I am curious how usable a simrad would be at 10-15x.

I was either unaware of the NF 2.5-10x42, or as @dms416 might have told me, I’ve been ignoring it for years because it wasn’t a PRS scope. The adjustable parallax, simple illuminated reticle, and 44’ Fov are appealing to me. I also like the idea of the 42mm obj over the 24, solely for hunting use as the sun is setting or rising and I’m running without the Simrad. I believe we’re starting to narrow it down.

He told you... I mentioned it Sunday. Used to have one on my SPR...and all that jazz.
And also the SHV 3-10x42 is the "little SHV" I was referring to yesterday.

BUT, we can probably get you that 3.5-15x50 NXS cheaper than tracking down a 2.5-10x42 NXS. I remember that x42 being a decent scope but touchy with the parallax.

Last edited:
I'm already seriously considering a SIMRAD as my next NV purchase after I recover from getting my -14 and BNVGs set up, so let me flip this around - what about MAX usable magnification on a SIMRAD? I mostly have 3-12 and 4-30x optics with 50mm objectives, and I am curious how usable a simrad would be at 10-15x.
I have a 203 on a 7 Rem mag with. 4.5-18x44 lrhs. I have put 18 through it with a Steiner SPIR on high output and focused all the way. I was able to accurately measure a whitetail buck at about 200yds but image was grainy. I have a good image up to about 12x in most all conditions but occasionally on a perfect night it looks good to 14. With a better scope I would assume it would be good a little higher but I couldn’t be happier with my results considering I have about $2500 tied up in both scope and 203. A good illuminator makes a lot of difference over a cheap one. I’ve tried both ends of the scale. Cheap garbage to Atilla 200. With good illuminator, these things are great.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm