• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Who has shot or owned suppressed bolt action 50's?

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
I have been trying to read up on 50 cans for years. I have come across just about every caliber can in the wild except a 50 bmg. If they cost the same as any other rifle can I would just drop the hammer but when the can costs 2-3K it's a harder thing for me.

Currently I have a 99 and a Safety Harbor. The 99 is probably what I would suppress. The two big cans that seem to get the most press are the AAC Cyclops and Barrett QDL. I wish I knew someone with one so I could go shoot it.

Maybe in another 10 years I will finally buy one.

Hi,

I have used all sorts of different manufacturers BMG suppressors and IMO the top 2 are:

1. Elite Iron "Alpha"
2. AAC Cyclops (But that was well before AAC was purchased, etc)

We ALL wish they were cheaper but that would be same argument as to why a 308 suppressor does not cost same as a 22lr suppressor...it is what it is.

Sincerely,
Theis

I have built a .50 Cal Form 1 suppressor and fired it on a Barret M99. It makes shooting a .50 much more enjoyable. The recoil became a much longer duration push that will move you backwards in a prone position, but it is not a sharpie hard hitting push. Eliminating the incredibly harsh muzzle blast was well worth it.

If I were purchasing one I believe I would buy the Elite Iron, but I have not witnessed it being fired in person.

I enjoyed the noise reduction for sure, but the recoil was more severe... it moved me back about 6 inches when I was prone.

Muzzle brake reduces the recoil much better... but so loud

Reactions: 300NIMP
A suppressed 50 will have a brutal recoil compared to one with a Tank style brake.
The difference in sound and concussion is dramatic however.

I haven't had a chance to try the new Barrett version that is a suppressor with a mild brake on it as well, that I would be interested to see if it's the best of both worlds or not.

I have an M-99 with a turbodyne.

A6hmsVj.jpg

That's a spec-rest tripod 35 pounds.

I'm still workin out the kinks but a big one was removing the bipod and using the bipod slot to mate to the rubber front yoke off the tripod, that was a game changer in terms of transferring recoil to the ground through the tripod.

dXSv0Cf.jpg

I tried one leg back, per recommendation from the manufacturer, but two legs back worked better.

bU176zz.jpg

==
I never fired it with the muzzle break on there. I waited 18 months after I got the gun before I got the suppressor, that was right around the time of the rules change and all the backlog.

I did try it prone. The felt recoil is less off the tripod IF you maximize the tripod's ability to absorb recoil. Things like flat ground (which I have none of) works better that shooting off the side of a hill (which I have plenty of). The setup wants to jump down the hill. If the shooter and the gun are not optimized. It is a very interesting exercise in NP versus recoil management !!! :)

I think it will work better sitting, need to try that. The tripod maker. makes a quad pod that uses the same upper section but supports seated shooting.

I think I will put the muzzle break back on there and try it so at least I know what the difference is. :)

Reactions: mdmp5
I have an M-99 with a turbodyne.

A6hmsVj.jpg

That's a spec-rest tripod 35 pounds.

I'm still workin out the kinks but a big one was removing the bipod and using the bipod slot to mate to the rubber front yoke off the tripod, that was a game changer in terms of transferring recoil to the ground through the tripod.

dXSv0Cf.jpg

I tried one leg back, per recommendation from the manufacturer, but two legs back worked better.

bU176zz.jpg

==
I never fired it with the muzzle break on there. I waited 18 months after I got the gun before I got the suppressor, that was right around the time of the rules change and all the backlog.

I did try it prone. The felt recoil is less off the tripod IF you maximize the tripod's ability to absorb recoil. Things like flat ground (which I have none of) works better that shooting off the side of a hill (which I have plenty of). The setup wants to jump down the hill. If the shooter and the gun are not optimized. It is a very interesting exercise in NP versus recoil management !!! :)

I think it will work better sitting, need to try that. The tripod maker. makes a quad pod that uses the same upper section but supports seated shooting.

I think I will put the muzzle break back on there and try it so at least I know what the difference is. :)

Man u got all the toys!!! I just read your post where you posted the pics of you nv set up very nice!!!!

I have a Johns Guns Suppressor That I never used and Then sold the gun. If you can find info on them they seemed pretty good. He no longer makes them. It seems a lot of the 50 Cal. Cans He built went to Barrett. I would like to get $1000.00 for it. It is still at the dealer.

I shot 10 rounds through my AX-50 and AAC Cyclops. Recoil was substantially increased. Now I just use it on my 510 Whisper bolt gun and Barrett M107.

I enjoyed the noise reduction for sure, but the recoil was more severe... it moved me back about 6 inches when I was prone.

Muzzle brake reduces the recoil much better... but so loud

I shot a .375 Cheytac with a .45 acp suppressor on it (it was rated for the pressure surprisingly enough), and that thing was hell to shoot. It must've moved my whole body back about 6" when shooting prone during the recoil.

Pretty punishing to shoot.

Reactions: waveslayer
I have a DTA HTI .50BMG with a custom brake and suppressor made by Elite Iron, both indexed TDC and fitted to negate the use of shims, both with wrench flats. So the new brake threads on and so does the can. The new brake is pretty nice, it's what comes on Harris rifles I believe. Elite Iron has really good prices because they use 316SS instead of exotics. Dale, the owner, is a metallurgist by profession and knows what works. The .50 can is SOLID, it's a TANK. But at 4lbs., ~2" dia., it's also about the same weight as all the others. Also, Dale won't blow smoke up your ass like AWC tried to do with me, telling me "it'll make it sound like a .22 unsuppressed". Yeah, right, more like a small rifle unsuppressed. And AAC has burned me on these 51T mounts and the worst part is I have FOUR of those suppressors! At least all my mounts fit tight.

I couldn't honestly recommend you do business with either of those companies at this point.

Elite Iron builds a solid .50 can, he won't lie about performance and he will also index your can TDC to fit your rifle with the baffles aligned vertically. Not critical, but it helps keep POI shift vertical as well for easy adjustments. As for brakes, you can do what I did and order a new one without shims timed to your barrel, or reuse your shims and brake, whatever, but his brake is top notch as well.

Ops Inc I think it is, makes a reflex suppressor, not sure if that's what you are looking for or not. Don't know much about 'em.

Not aware of many quality .50 BMG suppressors that aren't gimmicks or over priced. Elite is really the only one I consider for big bore cans. I have an Elite .338LM can that looks damn nice too and I hope to use it one day when I can get the damn rifle for it... Fucking divorce. Oh, both came Cerakoted my choice of color. The .338 is thread over QD like TBAC and the .50 is direct thread only.