• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Who has Starlink?

breatheandsqueeze

Fast, Cheap, and Easy
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
NM
Who has
Starlink and is using a mesh router setup?
My house and shop/office have metal roofs and I need to get it to the shop/office that is 300 feet away.
I have read until my eyes are blurry and am only more confused.................
Thanks

I've got three in use and getting another. One is the larger and more expensive commercial setup. I'm happy with all of them.

I tried to extend with the mesh system about 300 ft as well. Put one of the nodes outside about halfway point. I could never get that to work well and ended up adding another system at the remote location. I intend to dump DirecTV, land line phone and DSL so it will end up less expensive.

One dish is on the ground in the front yard with too many obstructions, but still works well with streaming applications.

Starlink has no customer service by phone, and I reluctantly sought help with the chat option. My issue was resolved very quickly and with no run-around. Worked better than a phone call. Musk knows how to do it.

I'm in SE West Virginia, and the state just got enough funding to pay every household in the state $3k. Intention is to use that 1.2b to improve internes availability. All that cash is going to disappear into Frontier and Optimum pockets to fix a problem Elon has already solved.

Reactions: CE1371
i have starlink in northeast pa and is the best money i ever spent. we had no internet or cell service. works like a dream we can stream movies and have wifi calling. i use a mesh deco system and works in my pole barn. you wont be sorry.

Rather than a mesh setup, if you have metal roofing involved, you need to be looking at a wireless point to point setup instead. 300ft is nothing for modern PTP systems.

Reactions: Redmanss and padom
Tag.

I have Starlink now, HUGE improvement over Fuckhughesnet. Both in price and service. Streaming used to be nearly impossible.

Range is my only issue. If I could stream reliably in my garage and the wife's she-shed, I'd be shitting in tall cotton.

What you're probably looking for is a directional WiFi link - i.e 2 of these:
B00N2RO63U

Standard WiFi is omnidirectional - these things are more like a beam - one on each end pointed at each other. Just need to get power and an ethernet cable routed to the units on each side. Mount it on an outdoor wall or wherever you can get the 2 units to point directly at each other, then another standard Wifi Router inside the barn, shed, etc.

Reactions: doubloon
Who has
Starlink and is using a mesh router setup?
My house and shop/office have metal roofs and I need to get it to the shop/office that is 300 feet away.
I have read until my eyes are blurry and am only more confused.................
Thanks

Rather than a mesh setup, if you have metal roofing involved, you need to be looking at a wireless point to point setup instead. 300ft is nothing for modern PTP systems.
Bingo..

You need a PtP or PtMP setup with a switch and if you want WiFi AP on the remote side.

Mount your PtP sending side on the soffit/peak/side of building where your Starlink is....plug it into a switch that your starlink is feeding... now put your receiving side PtP device on your remote site/barn and run a cat6 down to a small switch. Plug any device into that switch for internet. Want wifi, plug a WiFi AP into that small switch and now you have full signal wifi in your barn..

Don't let PtP or PtMP confuse you. No its not WiFi... it's a wireless point to Point link that has ranges from 8-25 miles line of site with blazing fast speeds... think of a wire from your 2 buildings in the air you can't see.

If you need help or a network diagram let me know. We sell and use PtP devices every day. We have devices that get anywhere from 400Mbps to 1000Mbps link speed depending on how much you want to spend

Padom,
Thank you for the reply! I have a perfect line of site from the house where starlink will be mounted to the barn. Have power at both ends so it should not be a huge undertaking.
I will order my starlink then send you a PM.
Again thanks

Reactions: padom
Padom,
Thank you for the reply! I have a perfect line of site from the house where starlink will be mounted to the barn. Have power at both ends so it should not be a huge undertaking.
I will order my starlink then send you a PM.
Again thanks

No problem. You are setup perfectly for an easy PtP install.

Got it three years ago to replace the local phone company's 6Mbs DSL. It was a bit shaky for the first several months, but now it's keeping up with my wife and I doing teleconferences and the kids doing whatever (streaming, gaming, online coursework).

Fiber was run down our road this summer, but it's not yet active. We'll likely give that a try once the switch is flipped if the pricing is competitive.

I am sending WiFi to remote buildings on my property with these. I found them difficult to program but the range and speed is excellent. One pair shoots about 100 yards through the trees. The other goes about 200 yards open view. Signal strength at both locations is 100%.

4732A058-72BC-4BFB-BC4A-390AE6433DD6.png

Love my starlink!!!! And my mind is blown over some ways to extend range of wifi or get it in a nearby location! I have a metal shop and wifi is terrible out there. It is a strait shot down my driveway 150' from my starlink. I would love to have wifi down there and surrounding the building if i could.

Love my starlink!!!! And my mind is blown over some ways to extend range of wifi or get it in a nearby location! I have a metal shop and wifi is terrible out there. It is a strait shot down my driveway 150' from my starlink. I would love to have wifi down there and surrounding the building if i could.
We have it at a ranch in S Tx. Can stream several tvs at once, no problem. Have a mesh system set up (Asus). You will need the cat5 adapter to do that.
To extend, get a couple of these
we use it to send internet 2 miles to another house.
If link doen't show up
"www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713XMHH9/"

Ubiquiti NanoBeam ac Gen2 High-Performance airMAX ac Bridge (NBE-5AC-Gen2-US)​

If you are surrounded by trees, its gonna be a tough go. We have few openings and get lots of interference. Even so, its far better than anthing else available in the country.

Nothing like 100 foot tall pine trees to screw the insurance and the electronic reception. But its a pretty lot and in these days and times, the lot alone is worth more than what we paid for the 1 1/4 acres, home, large shop and small shop. (Lake life got REAL Expensive since we purchased the land and built our home 30 years ago.)

We have it at a ranch in S Tx. Can stream several tvs at once, no problem. Have a mesh system set up (Asus). You will need the cat5 adapter to do that.
To extend, get a couple of these
we use it to send internet 2 miles to another house.
If link doen't show up
"www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713XMHH9/"

Ubiquiti NanoBeam ac Gen2 High-Performance airMAX ac Bridge (NBE-5AC-Gen2-US)​

I have the same ones, These work great, real good alternative.
I have a set spaced about 400 ft apart and work great.

I have the same ones, These work great, real good alternative.
I have a set spaced about 400 ft apart and work great.

For close distances between buildings like this (1000' or less) look at the UBNT Gigabeam. Same as the Nanobeam but gies 1+ Gigabit throughput speeds and they are only $30 more each...

Or the Gigabeam Plus that has a 1.5+ km range and 1.5+ Gigabit throughput for $179

For those of you that dont require Gigabit throughput.. Nothing better than the

NanoStation 5AC Loco. We use hundreds of these a year and give 450Mbps throughput with a 10+ km range... and they are only $49

Reactions: Jgunner
For close distances between buildings like this (1000' or less) look at the UBNT Gigabeam. Same as the Nanobeam but gies 1+ Gigabit throughput speeds and they are only $30 more each...

Or the Gigabeam Plus that has a 1.5+ km range and 1.5+ Gigabit throughput for $179

For those of you that dont require Gigabit throughput.. Nothing better than the

NanoStation 5AC Loco. We use hundreds of these a year and give 450Mbps throughput with a 10+ km range... and they are only $49

We had ours put up about 6 months ago and I got them from Amazon and they were almost 200.
I'm not very fluent w computer so I don't remember which ones the guy told me to buy, but damn is all I can say.
We shoot it's ross a non obstructed view to our metal sided barn which acted like a faraday cage.
Unconditionally works great. I get fast Internet in the barn and hung a 75 inch color tv.
Life is grand.
IMG_20231009_114156.jpg
IMG_20231009_114125.jpg

Last edited:
We had ours put up about 6 months ago and I got them from Amazon and they were almost 200.
I'm not very fluent w computer so I don't remember which ones the guy told me to buy, but damn is all I can say.
We shoot it's ross a non obstructed view to our metal sided barn which acted like a faraday cage.
Unconditionally works great. I get fast Internet in the barn and hung a 75 inch color tv.
Life is grand.View attachment 8245056View attachment 8245057

Yep that is the NanoBeam AC Gen2 and they are excellent. We use them for applications where we need more throughput. Amazon charges more than anyone else.. They are $99 direct from the Ubiquiti