• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has taken a Savage 10 thru a Tactical Course?

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
I have a couple of Savage 10 .308s that I love. They both shoot sub moa day in and day out. I recently took one out to 750 to hit steel 2moa gongs and thought it was pretty easy. Then again, the wind was almost blowing right at me so it's not like I had to worry about wind drift too much.

I would really like to go through a Tactical Shooting course at RO or somewhere to increase my education and skills. I just want to make sure both of my rifles can take the two or three day course. I've heard rumors and seen random posts in the interwebs that minor parts break (ejectors, bolt knobs, etc). Any validity to this?

Who's taken a Savage through a shooting course?

Re: Who has taken a Savage 10 thru a Tactical Course?

I've used one and seen several go through law enforcement sniper schools without issue. Never been to RO so can't speak to that but you should be o.k.

I've been beating on Savage rifles for over 20yrs... just got the original 30-06 back from 22yrs ago, refinished it, cleaned it good, and it still shoots sub MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's taken a Savage through a shooting course? </div></div>

Probably hundreds, maybe thousands of people.

I took my old Savage 10FPLE through the Sniper's Fieldcraft Class in Utah. Extreme heat, then rain, and back to unrelenting heat... no problems.

I have every faith in the full reliability in all things Savage.

DK

Savage 10PC through one LEO class and have my advanced class coming next week. No issues to report.

ask ~ACE~ about his stable of stevens. he can tell you what spare parts to carry i bet. everything to rebuild the bolt, springs and pins, extractor, ejector. all stuff i need to get

I would like to have feedback from the instructors on this. If you prefer, by PM, as I have no interest in a flame war, but I too have read reference to issues of Savage reliability on some metallic silhouette forums.

I don't think you will have any problems if your rifle is in good working order before head out. I shoot the shit out of my savages. Beating them around the desert of New Mexico and have zero problems. I don't clean often and they work well here at local matches. Take an extra bolt handle and sping and pin and you can fix anything that would break in a few min. Good luck on the course.

I've taken my 10FCP-K through two LE marksman classes. It stacks evenly with all the guys with the remys, you just feel like the bastard child of the group and take some crap from the other guys. It comes down to the shooter, the rifle will perform just as well. The only issue I had was that I could only shoot from the front hood of a cruiser because of the brake on mine. The windshield is stronger than the back glass and they were worried that the muzzle blast from the brake would shatter the rear window if I shot from the trunk. Anyways you'll be fine, happy shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took my old Savage 10FPLE through the Sniper's Fieldcraft Class in Utah. Extreme heat, then rain, and back to unrelenting heat... no problems.

I have every faith in the full reliability in all things Savage.

DK </div></div>

What class?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I beat my rifles up too and they always hold their POI, but I don't put 500 rounds through them in 48 hour time periods.

I brush off what Remy shooters say to me about my rifle. My targets speak louder than they can. Regardless, I too will accept PMs.

Thanks Axe and AGR for the suggestions. I need to get those regardless. When I go to carbine courses, I have extra bolts, BCG, and other spare parts...makes sense to have those for a bolt rifle course too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to have feedback from the instructors on this. If you prefer, by PM, as I have no interest in a flame war, but I too have read reference to issues of Savage reliability on some metallic silhouette forums. </div></div>

lets keep i out in the open so if there is an issue we can all be aware of it. all rifles have issues, no reason to hide ours. plus this way we will know how to prepare for the possible occurance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What class? </div></div>

Sniper Field Craft class from Roy Woodall @ Special Operations Training and Consulting.

Good class, very informative. I found out just how out of shape I was at the time. Placed a very nice headshot on my hostage drill. We were out in the desert of Utah, went through extreme heat, and then got rained on to make it nice and humid. Put us to the test, and I loved it!!

DK

I took an FP-10 to a Basic Police Sniper School back in April of 2007. The only problem I encountered was the scope rings loosened up and I ended up missing the night shoot. That wasn't the Savages fault. On the friday pass/fail cold bore qualification shot, that FP-10 damn near punched the target dead center.

FYI: 5 Day course, 250 rounds total, 60-80 rounds per day depending course schedule.

My experience in going from the NE to the SW taught me that hot loads in the NE can become overmax loads out in the SW, mainly due to the temperature increase. Just be certain your rifle isn't going to experience pressure issues with your ammo when the temps get over 90 degrees. Primers can blow and they frequently take the extractor with them, and can wreak havoc with the ejector, too. I've had this happen 8-10 times in a day in the S/W, and at least half of the times the extractor and/or ejector needed to be replaced. Luckily, we had an armorer along who had the requisite knowledge and parts. The second day, we band-aided the problem by keeping the ammo in a cooler; but condensation can also cause problems, so be mindful. An insulated day pack might be useful here.

This little item can serve very nicely as an emergency extractor if the one on the bolt fails. You slip the hooked end into the R/H bolt lug recess, hook the cartridge base, and pull. Most of the time, even though the primer's popped away, the case will slide right on out. Be sure to find and remove the popped primer, it can jam things up. It usually ends up somewhere down below the bolt.

One other issue with ammo is weight. Airlines limit you, and they include the weight of your packaging. Metal ammo cans will not fly well. Take along some of your ammo in your checked baggage for the first day; preferably in plain lightweight commercial ammo packages (my .260 handloads masqueraded as FGMM .308. It may also pay to keep mum about any handloads.). Send the rest ahead UPS, preferably a couple of weeks in advance, with a call you number on the outside for when it arrives, so it's definitely there and waiting when you need it. Packing along extra ammo can become a pain if you don't use it and have to take it back with you. It still has to meet the maximum weight limits for air travel. It may pay to be prepared in advance to UPS excess ammo back home, and to leave time in your return trip itinerary for this task.

I don't do Tactical Ops training or comps due to physical limits, but this info was obtained in NM over a week-long F Class comp, and should be completely applicable.

Greg

Two schools I'm checking out are within driving ranges for me (5 hours is driving range for me in Texas).

Greg - good advice on ammo and shipping it. In my previous line of work, I did extensive traveling and a lot of the time I shipped supplies to my destination. Loading out your checked luggage (rifle in a case with magazines, sidearm, and 50-100 rounds), taking your clothes in a carry-on and sending extra ammo via UPS is a great idea. Make sure that you go through your pockets in your clothes and carry on twice before packing. Also double check your weapons to make sure they're empty. Each airline has their own set of rules for ammo, so check to make sure you can even carry ammo in your checked luggage.

Last - use as many locks as you can on your case. Tape it. Seal it. carry tape in your case so that you can re-tape it if they ask you to open it. You'd be surprised how fast somebody with a prybar can open a corner and pull out some of your stuff. Plus it looks horrible to the airline when you yell out, "WHAT THE F**K!!!" by the baggage claim and everyone sees your luggage has obviously been tampered with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to have feedback from the instructors on this. If you prefer, by PM, as I have no interest in a flame war, but I too have read reference to issues of Savage reliability on some metallic silhouette forums. </div></div>

lets keep i out in the open so if there is an issue we can all be aware of it. all rifles have issues, no reason to hide ours. plus this way we will know how to prepare for the possible occurance</div></div>

I agree with you, but some people don't want to post stuff and prefer to keep it in private. I'll pull what I got in PM's and post it so that we can all be aware.

Me and my shooting partner have taken our Model 10's through local Practical Precision Steel matches, the last one going out to 1204 yards. Both of our rifles performed beyond our expectations. I couldn't ask for more. When we did our parts, that is!