• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has the Athlon Cronus BTR sunshade in stock, sku: C210107S ?

cuz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
Like the title says, I’m trying to find a sun shade for a Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56mm scope.

The sun shade sku is: C210107S

Somebody must have them.
I’m also looking for a set of flip caps.

Thanks

The Nightforce V310 sunshade also works with the Cronus. I recall the OD being the same, which doesn't always match across different manufacturers sunshades of the same thread size. I don't recall much of a difference in finish.

Reactions: K2e2vin
Good luck on Amazon. It might fit, it might not. The one I ordered did not fit and I had to send it back. Please let us know if you get one that fits.

Reactions: james83174
Hell if you're actually thinking of chancing Amazon, just buy the Swampfox 56mm sunshade for only $17 and change with free shipping and FREE RETURNS and the Centerpoint universal wrap around sunshade for $17 till you get the genuine Athlon 56mm Cronus sunshade for $23 on Black Friday sale by then they should already be restocked. There's lots of complaints about genuine Athlon sunshades color not matching their intended scopes like how a lot of Arkens are. Even I tried a lot of crossed fingers different brand applications that actually screwed in and worked with surprisingly matching colors too especially whenever DVOR has misc brands of sunshades on clearance for only $5.

Good luck on Amazon. It might fit, it might not. The one I ordered did not fit and I had to send it back. Please let us know if you get one that fits.
Who needs luck with Amazon?
There is a Kohl's store 5 minutes from my house, if it doesn't work, returns as as easy as can be, no questions asked, just drop it off at the Amazon return desk at Kohl's. IMO, Amazon has the easiest return policy out of any place I've ever shopped at other than a Home Depot.
No hassle at all.

It arrives Sunday, so I'll see...

Reactions: KYAggie
Hell if you're actually thinking of chancing Amazon, just buy the Swampfox 56mm sunshade for only $17 and change with free shipping and FREE RETURNS and the Centerpoint universal wrap around sunshade for $17 till you get the genuine Athlon 56mm Cronus sunshade for $23 on Black Friday sale by then they should already be restocked. There's lots of complaints about genuine Athlon sunshades color not matching their intended scopes like how a lot of Arkens are. Even I tried a lot of crossed fingers different brand applications that actually screwed in and worked with surprisingly matching colors too especially whenever DVOR has misc brands of sunshades on clearance for only $5.
There's no "chancing" anything with Amazon. Returns are super easy and convenient for me, since there is a Kohl's just a few minutes away.

Now, I guess what I should have asked you guys is besides Athlon, who else makes a compatible sunshade that will fit on the Cronus BTR Gen2 56mm scope. That would have opened up my options.

If the Amazon shade doesn't fit, looks like these will ????
- Nightforce,
- Swampfox 56mm

If I have one that fits, no need to buy another one on Black Friday. Why bother? Because of color matching? I don't care about that, as long as it doesn't affect performance, I don't care if it was hot pink. Although, if I'm being honest, I'd actually like it more if it was purple. Then it's easier to tell which one is mine when they're all lined up. I'm terrible at the trap range trying to pull my shotgun from the rack when it's my turn to shoot. They all look the same to me...

I don't see your amazon links, but the ones I bought on Amazon did not fit the Cronus.

Mine came in today and fit perfectly. The color is not a perfect match, but it's plenty close enough for me.
For $35 including shipping from Amazon, I'll take it rather than waiting for it to show up in stock elsewhere, or waiting until black friday.

I have the Nightforce one on mine(top rifle)

Attachments

• PXL_20230320_220049724.jpg
    PXL_20230320_220049724.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: WeeHooker
I clicked on the link above and bought it. They sent the wrong one to me AGAIN. I guess it’s hit or miss if you will get one that fits; I’m 0 for 2 so far 😜, despite the box saying it will fit. It’s too small. I’m going to order the Nightforce sunshade, hopefully it will fit. I’m done messing around with the Athlon Amazon store.

IMG_2794.jpeg
IMG_2795.jpeg
IMG_2796.jpeg

I was 0 for 2 as well when I last tried a couple of years ago. I was tempted to try again but maybe I’ll save myself the aggravation

Reactions: KYAggie
I clicked on the link above and bought it. They sent the wrong one to me AGAIN. I guess it’s hit or miss if you will get one that fits; I’m 0 for 2 so far 😜, despite the box saying it will fit. It’s too small. I’m going to order the Nightforce sunshade, hopefully it will fit. I’m done messing around with the Athlon Amazon store.

View attachment 8241860View attachment 8241861View attachment 8241862
That’s not the part number that was on my box.
I’ll double check it when I get home and snap a pic.

Athlon brand products are currently on sale at Cameraland. Interesting part is they show the 56mm Cronus sunshade to be out of stock but is available as a combo purchase with the Cronus scope package?

Here is what they sent me, it seems to fit well and color matches up close enough for me.

Attachments

• SunShade.jpg
    SunShade.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 34
I ordered the Amazon one as well… it fits perfectly on my Gen 2 Cronus. Anodizing isn’t a perfect match.
Tenebraex makes caps for the Cronus. You can also get them from Amazon… but the objective cap (which threads in) won’t work with the Amazon sunshade as the sunshade is not internally threaded.

I ordered the Amazon one as well… it fits perfectly on my Gen 2 Cronus. Anodizing isn’t a perfect match.
Tenebraex makes caps for the Cronus. You can also get them from Amazon… but the objective cap (which threads in) won’t work with the Amazon sunshade as the sunshade is not internally threaded.
Great info. thanks. Did you order the Amazon generic or the Nightforce shade?

Athlon Optics C210107S:...

Thats the sunshade I ordered; allegedly the Athlon branded one although there were no brand markings on the box. Don’t have a pic at the moment but I can get one this evening. The anodizing match is kinda “good enough for government work” but not great. Again, that sunshade isn’t internally threaded for a lens cap like some of my higher-end sunshades are.
Does anyone know if the nightforce sunshade is internally threaded?

Athlon Optics C210107S:...

Thats the sunshade I ordered; allegedly the Athlon branded one although there were no brand markings on the box. Don’t have a pic at the moment but I can get one this evening. The anodizing match is kinda “good enough for government work” but not great. Again, that sunshade isn’t internally threaded for a lens cap like some of my higher-end sunshades are.
Does anyone know if the nightforce sunshade is internally threaded?

The genuine $30 Nightforce 56mm sunshade is threaded. This item ships for free.

"Nightforce NXS 3" 56mm Sunshade V310 for sale! - EuroOptic.com" https://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-nxs-3-sunshade-56mm-v310.aspx

Just to close the loop on this one. The Nightforce branded V310 sunshade arrived from Amazon today and fit perfectly, I haven't had it out in the sun yet but I'd say the color/ finish is VERY close. ( This is a flash picture in my basement) Very happy with the product and to be done with this Easter egg hunt!

Attachments​

• 20231026_164856.jpg
    20231026_164856.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231026_164742.jpg
    20231026_164742.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 0

Nice rifle. Now that this is resolved can I ask how you like your cronus? Not coming with the sunshade (and out of stock everywhere) or anything else has been one thing to give me pause.

Nice rifle. Now that this is resolved can I ask how you like your cronus? Not coming with the sunshade (and out of stock everywhere) or anything else has been one thing to give me pause.
Thanks, It's all new so I've only had the rifle and the Cronus out 2 times so far ( for sight in and BR shooting between 50 and 100 yds.) The jury is still out. I like the scope and find it pretty clear out to it's max 29 power . The lack of sunshade didn't bother me as most of my other lower level Athlons did not come with one. it's an Athlon thing. To be totally honest, I think I like my Vortex Strike Eagle near just as much. It came with throw lever, sunshade and has a reticle that suits me better.

Most Athlons especially the more expensive ones don't come with sunshades and must be purchased separately which sounds really chinzy to me. This is why I recommend buying Athlons ONLY WHEN THEY HAVE A GREAT SALE FOR SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER PRICES and NEVER EVER buy them at their regular street prices.

And avoid buying their Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 which sucks IMHO.

Just to close the loop on this one. The Nightforce branded V310 sunshade arrived from Amazon today and fit perfectly, I haven't had it out in the sun yet but I'd say the color/ finish is VERY close. ( This is a flash picture in my basement) Very happy with the product and to be done with this Easter egg hunt!

Attachments​

• 20231026_164856.jpg
    20231026_164856.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231026_164742.jpg
    20231026_164742.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 0
Nice, if I had to buy one again, I'd get the Nightforce sunshade over the one I got from Amazon. It's cheaper, and looks like a better product, especially with the threading on the front for a cap.

I'll tell you one thing that I discovered that I hate about mine. The reticle focus turns way, way too easily and doesn't lock, so it won't stay put and has me constantly having to adjust it. This sucks at the range, because you end up having to point the scope (mounted on the rifle) into the sky to get a clear background which tends to make others a bit uneasy. I didn't consider a locking diopter to be a factor to consider, but I'll NEVER buy another scope without one. I may end up replacing it with the XTR III just because of this stupid "feature".

I'll tell you one thing that I discovered that I hate about mine. The reticle focus turns way, way too easily and doesn't lock, so it won't stay put and has me constantly having to adjust it. This sucks at the range, because you end up having to point the scope (mounted on the rifle) into the sky to get a clear background which tends to make others a bit uneasy. I didn't consider a locking diopter to be a factor to consider, but I'll NEVER buy another scope without one. I may end up replacing it with the XTR III just because of this stupid "feature".
Yea that would drive me crazy. I'm not seeing that with my Cronus though. It seems to stay put. Maybe a smear of blue locktite on the eyepiece threads to keep it in place? Also maybe a set of stretch on rubber lens covers might hold everything tight.

Most Athlons especially the more expensive ones don't come with sunshades and must be purchased separately which sounds really chinzy to me. This is why I recommend buying Athlons ONLY WHEN THEY HAVE A GREAT SALE FOR SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER PRICES and NEVER EVER buy them at their regular street prices.

And avoid buying their Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 which sucks IMHO.
That Argos 6-24x50 was my first scope when I got into "better" 22's. It was a step up from the $150 scopes I was used too but I quickly outgrew it. I will say that the 10-40x56 and 8-34x56 Argos were better ( and I still use one of each on my CZ's.) All of them were purchased in the $350 range as I recall. This is my first high end Athlon and to be honest, likely my last from them. The Cronus is a nice scope, just not as "wowing" as I expected in a $1500 MSRP product. ( I paid $1200 as i recall) Then again, the Vortex gen2 PSt 5-25x50 it replaced was nothing to love either IMHO. I think I just like the mid priced , mid power Vortex Venom and Strike Eagles better. .

Reactions: Scopeye
That Argos 6-24x50 was my first scope when I got into "better" 22's. It was a step up from the $150 scopes I was used too but I quickly outgrew it. I will say that the 10-40x56 and 8-34x56 Argos were better ( and I still use one of each on my CZ's.) All of them were purchased in the $350 range as I recall. This is my first high end Athlon and to be honest, likely my last from them. The Cronus is a nice scope, just not as "wowing" as I expected in a $1500 MSRP product. ( I paid $1200 as i recall) Then again, the Vortex gen2 PSt 5-25x50 it replaced was nothing to love either IMHO. I think I just like the mid priced , mid power Vortex Venom and Strike Eagles better. .
The only wowing Athlon I bought were their Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 (currently on sale for $549.99 at Walmart online) and Midas Tac 6-24x50 (I paid around $450 on sale a few years ago) and I also bought the Cronus BTR (I paid around $1200 on sale) and to me, it didn't represent $500-$650 better quality compared the Ares BTR G2 which is also leaps and bounds a huge step up compared to the crappy Argos BTR and better than the Strike Eagle.

IMHO to me, the Athlon Argos line is a waste of money and found out the hard way too. Once you go up in class to at least their Midas HD and Midas Tac, you will see a huge difference in quality and even more so with the Ares BTR G2 which has noticeably superior image quality than the Midas Tac. I wouldn't recommend buying their 5-25x56 Midas Tac though and much better better off getting the better quality Ares BTR G2 instead for a lot cheaper.

A good alternative to the Cronus BTR is the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 RD MRAD on sale for $699.99 at Scopelist and EuroOptic and it's at least equal to if not better quality compared to the Athlon Cronus BTR. Lifetime warranty including their electronics just like Athlon's warranty however I've never ever heard of anyone needing to actually use Meopta's warranty yet.

Less to be disappointed and overly critical about if you paid way less money for your scopes whenever they're on sale for significantly cheaper than normal.

Last edited: