• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who has the best glass under $1000

caddokiller

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
texas
Im building a 300wm that will mainly be used for hunting (shots from 150 to 400 yards) and benchrest shooting. It needs to be really good in low light situations and have descent eye relief. Weight is not a big concern as I will be stationay for 90% of my use. What would you say is the best under a grand(or close to it). Thanks!!

Re: Who has the best glass under $1000

For those ranges and hunting I would probably just buy a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 and save the rest for something else. They are hard to beat for your intended purpose and at 400 for the sale price they are a steal. I got mine for 500 before they lowered it and still thought it was the best for that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Countersniper currently has a Military contract overrun. I think you should really research that, as well as use the search function for this website.
SScott </div></div>

+1 those Counter Sniper scopes are the shit so is the SH search
grin.gif

Snipers Hide Google Search

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Countersniper currently has a Military contract overrun. I think you should really research that, as well as use the search function for this website.
SScott </div></div>

grin.gif

</div></div>

I used the sh search and read ALOT of negative stuff on here about counter sniper scopes. Of course Ive also seen some people downing every scope brand out there. Just trying to get a general concensus before I go test some out!
grin.gif

Id buy a Zeiss Duralyte the glass is different than the conquest (actually made by Zeiss) not sure they are out in the US though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Countersniper currently has a Military contract overrun. I think you should really research that, as well as use the search function for this website.
SScott </div></div>

grin.gif

</div></div>

You guys are going to confuse the noob... Counter sniper is a piece of crap! Only the ones with Berilium zititanium are the shit! LOL
laugh.gif

All kidding aside I think Vortex is gonna have an awesome line up of PST's for the money!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Countersniper currently has a Military contract overrun. I think you should really research that, as well as use the search function for this website.
SScott </div></div>

grin.gif

</div></div>

You guys are going to confuse the noob... Counter sniper is a piece of crap! Only the ones with Berilium zititanium are the shit! LOL
laugh.gif
</div></div>

ok ok, I'll be nice. I'd look at the Vortex PST's like others have said. Nobody else will match up with the quality, options, and CS like Vortex does. Call Scott at Liberty Optics and let him know your a Hide member he'll give you the discount. Make sure you call him, not just check out the site.

Although like a lot of these other guys, I'm a big Vortex fan, I do believe that if you don't need all the features of the Vortex PST, you can put that money into a better purpose built hunting scope.

For what you want, and under $1000, I think you'd be really hard pressed to beat the Sightron SIII. Outstanding glass, robust repeatable adjustments, decent reticle selection and if I'm not mistaken, Scott @ Liberty carries them also.

John

That's it? Who's handing out the free hall passes? You guys have disappointed me today.

Oh yeah, check out Vortex

You should first figure out what features you want if you haven't done so already.

Do you want a First Focal Plane Scope or Second?

Have you decided on the type of reticle?

What kind of adjustments do you want?

Have you thought about matching the turret adjustments to your reticle?

Once you do this you can start eliminating some scopes or even manufacturers.

I just put Swarvoski Z-3 3X9-40 on one of my AR-10 Carbines. The glass is great and though it is not a tacticial scope and the objective is a little small at 36mm for $729.00 I think it is the best lightest huntng rifle scope for 400 yards and closer. I was able to see paper ounches on target at 200 yards better than my spotter......

Just my 2 cents....

Zeiss Rapid Z800. I had one and loved it then had a case of head in the butt and traded it off and regret it ever since.

I have a friend with a Sightron you can look through,are you the CSO guy that called me about the 1k range at LRA?also to the persons reccomending CS scopes really a dick move.A response like,hey welcome to the hide but try the search engine would be a little more on the adult level.

Don't listen to the counter sniper stuff, it's a running joke. There are quite a few that you can find in that range. Magnification is up to you and can help nail it down later on, but check out the Vortex, IOR, and Zeiss, scopes, and also the SWFA SS. The SS is "affordable" and a real good scope for that price point. Good luck hunting.

Stewart,cka told me you got the 3x12 how do you like it mine will be here today. How far out have you shoot it.

Zeiss Conquest or SWFA SS at that price point the SS is alot of scope for the money.

*disclaimer*
I have not looked through all of the scopes available in that price range. I have looked through maybe 10-12 different brands/models.

To my eyes, Zeiss Conquest was the best. Vortex Viper was pretty clear, but for some reason I felt a lot of eye strain. The amazing thing about Conquest is, they make a $400 scope that is brilliant- it's the same optical quality as the top-end Conquest scopes that are approaching $900.

Only downside to Zeiss is they aren't really set up to be target scopes or tactical scopes, given the reticles, knobs, and SFP. But still, great for the money. Apparently the coating they use on their tubes is very hard, you can scratch them with a quarter w/o damaging them I am told.

In the sub $1000 range look at Ziess Conquest, Sightron S3, or Super Sniper. You really want find anything better for under a grand.

I'd put the Weaver Tactical 4-20X in that group as well. Excellent brightness and resolution along with a 5X zoom ratio makes you think it should cost a bunch more when looking through it.