• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has the perfect brass catcher?

Tex_ponch

Ponch
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Baltimore MD
Ok I know all the offerings out there for brass catchers, but what have you come up with that works at the range and in the field?

Back story I am tired of picking though the grass in the pitch black of night trying to find 6creed brass.

Thanks in adv

Reactions: TACC
Years ago, I came across a brass catcher that was like a miniature 'butterfly net' type thing. It was attached to the back of a glove. Something that you always have your hand in the same location (talking about semi-auto here) and the brass will always be ejecting into the same trajectory AFTER the shot.

I never did get one to try it out, but it has always been in the back of my head for 'interest' and 'effectiveness'.

Others though, would say 'go be poor somewhere else' and don't bother with the brass. I'll leave that tangent alone, for now. :D

Found one and put it on my 16" 68spc.
It's formed kydex that clips onto the rail.

20191229_121805.jpg

I also use the Caldwell. You can move the catcher itself across multiple rifles if you have extra mounts for it. Works great.

I have an 8 year old. as long as I let him keep the weird brass he finds that I don't have a use for he brings back all of my .308 brass.

On a more serious note, I used to shoot with a guy that made himself a little net. Steel safety wire and storm door screen. Ultra lightweight, could bend and twist it any which way he needed it to although it seemed to always get tangled up in some form or fashion. I will see if I have an old picture of it somewhere.

I have an 8 year old. as long as I let him keep the weird brass he finds that I don't have a use for he brings back all of my .308 brass.

On a more serious note, I used to shoot with a guy that made himself a little net. Steel safety wire and storm door screen. Ultra lightweight, could bend and twist it any which way he needed it to although it seemed to always get tangled up in some form or fashion. I will see if I have an old picture of it somewhere.
can I take your kid out hunting coyotes? I am just tired of digging through grass n mud to find my creedmoor brass

can I take your kid out hunting coyotes? I am just tired of digging through grass n mud to find my creedmoor brass

He would probably be good with that. If he keeps his grades up and keeps practicing with his rifle I have to take him out this fall for white tail and coyotes.

He would probably be good with that. If he keeps his grades up and keeps practicing with his rifle I have to take him out this fall for white tail and coyotes.
Get the tactical brass recovery. Had mine for a while works great for what it is. Use mine on 3 ar platform. Until a better mousetrap comes along this is probably as good as it's going to get. If you all know of better set up, let me know

I used PVC to build a frame. I slide a pillow case over it and then folded the opening up to create a channel to catch the brass that would hit the pillow case.

It only works when stationary though.

Caldwell works, a bit of a pain to swap rifles with different 1 piece scope mounts. They could have made it longer by 1 inch.

I’m assuming this is for a gas gun? If so my recommendation is also Tactical Brass Recovery. High dollar but works great. Go all out and get the hinged model - makes it easy to check chamber, clear jams etc. I’ve got a couple thousand 6.8 cases that would’ve been lost to the night if I didn’t have it, so I figure it’s paid for itself by now. Good CS too - I cracked the frame by my own clumsiness and Lew(?) at TBR took care of it.

Reactions: TACC and Laseredge
not that i would call it perfect in any way just you would have to be really trying to not catch your brass to miss this dog sized net .
1578736029842.png
i assumed it was pretty big but its huge and for 60 +shipping from amazon it works not to mention the kids love tormenting the cat with it so its a ++ in my book . It just sits there along side you It has also caught others brass protecting me which has turned out to be a bonus .
CTK PRECISION Universal Brass Catcher / butterfly net and pool skimmer and cat trap .

since this is posted in the D.I.Y. forum; here was my Gen1 prototype before I switched to the Caldwell Picatinny Rail Brass Catcher [I just bought one of the new Caldwell Brass Catcher with the Velcro bands for attachment and the swing arm to clear the ejection port]. My shooting buddy improved on my version with a sheetmetal deflector and a bottom flange to attach a Seagrams 7 blue, felt bag to20200111_115553_resized_2.jpg20200111_115631_resized_2.jpg20200111_115844.jpg20200111_120020.jpg [sorry no pics]

Found one and put it on my 16" 68spc.
It's formed kydex that clips onto the rail.

View attachment 7211968
I have been using this same catcher hog hunting for 2(?) years on a 6.8 and 308. Works pretty good. I was not catching some brass so I looked at the seam around the top of the bag and took a piece of steel wire I had on the bench and worked it through. I can now "form" the bag opening. The catcher weighs nothing and works better. It goes on/off quickly and stores easily.

not that i would call it perfect in any way just you would have to be really trying to not catch your brass to miss this dog sized net .
View attachment 7222492 i assumed it was pretty big but its huge and for 60 +shipping from amazon it works not to mention the kids love tormenting the cat with it so its a ++ in my book . It just sits there along side you It has also caught others brass protecting me which has turned out to be a bonus .
CTK PRECISION Universal Brass Catcher / butterfly net and pool skimmer and cat trap .

My brother bought the exact same one and yes they are big but very effective and well made for a bench or prone option.
I would give him shit about it since the range we mostly shot at was right by the lake and would occassionaly make it a duel purpose trip and go fishing afterwards.
" Hey man make sure you don't forget the minnow net " ??

I was shooting a match last year and ran across a guy that was making brass catchers by hand that swing in and out on the same system that some bubble levels use. Here is a picture of his rifle. I didn't get his card. Maybe he or someone who knows him will see this and let us know how we can get one.

Attachments

• IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 642
I was shooting a match last year and ran across a guy that was making brass catchers by hand that swing in and out on the same system that some bubble levels use. Here is a picture of his rifle. I didn't get his card. Maybe he or someone who knows him will see this and let us know how we can get one.
I shot with that guy this year. Him and his buddy both were running them. They worked awesome!

Reactions: Tex_ponch and TACC
The hinged tactical brass catcher looks like the ticket so far.

Tactical Brass Recovery. Stupid name, great product. I've shot matches with mine. No problems at all.

+1 on Tactical Brass Recovery

They're pricey however it's easy to move from rifle to rifle with a pic rail and I've never had any stoppages. Definitely worth the investment if you shoot a lot of gas guns.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
since this is posted in the D.I.Y. forum; here was my Gen1 prototype before I switched to the Caldwell Picatinny Rail Brass Catcher [I just bought one of the new Caldwell Brass Catcher with the Velcro bands for attachment and the swing arm to clear the ejection port]. My shooting buddy improved on my version with a sheetmetal deflector and a bottom flange to attach a Seagrams 7 blue, felt bag toView attachment 7222724View attachment 7222725View attachment 7222726View attachment 7222727 [sorry no pics]
Redneck technology at its best. Love it.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiam1211
I was curious what people had "red neck engineered". I have a 3d printer and have been playing with some different ideas. I am not spending 200 on a brass catcher to save 50...maybe 100.... Someone asked if it is for a gas gun....well the answer is yes...but also for a bolt gun. I want something I can switch between platforms. Thanks for all the iinput

+1 on Tactical Brass Recovery

They're pricey however it's easy to move from rifle to rifle with a pic rail and I've never had any stoppages. Definitely worth the investment if you shoot a lot of gas guns.
It looks like it attaches on the side, which makes it unusable without messing around with adding MLOK rails or removing rail covers from all my ARs. I think if something like this doesn't use the top rail that everyone has, it's a nonstarter.

It looks like it attaches on the side, which makes it unusable without messing around with adding MLOK rails or removing rail covers from all my ARs. I think if something like this doesn't use the top rail that everyone has, it's a nonstarter.
I completely agree! I was just looking at the TBC and thought the same...

If not using an m-lok siderail is a requirement for you then Tactical Brass Recovery is probably not a good fit. That said, compared to all the brass catchers I've owned and have encountered in the wild - the TBR is certainly high quality in comparison. I wouldn't even bother with anything sold at the big box stores from Caldwell or 3Bucc etc.

Master Piece Arms just announced their new brass catcher. looks awesome. pricey but looks like the quality is there. Having a hard time finding it on their webpage, it was on there a few days ago.

found it. $150.. not bad compared to some of the other high end options

Last edited:
Reactions: DUTCH84
I ran the MPA on the range today doing some PRS practice and it was damn near perfect. Only issue I ran into, and It was my fault. the net is sized to really only hold about 14 pieces of brass. which makes sense b.c thats usually what your going to run in a stage on a match. I ran into ejecting problems around 16 rounds. I emptied the net and everything went back to working fine. Im happy with it and its not large and bulky either

Reactions: linsmea
I ran the MPA on the range today doing some PRS practice and it was damn near perfect. Only issue I ran into, and It was my fault. the net is sized to really only hold about 14 pieces of brass. which makes sense b.c thats usually what your going to run in a stage on a match. I ran into ejecting problems around 16 rounds. I emptied the net and everything went back to working fine. Im happy with it and its not large and bulky either

What cartridge? I’ve been running over 15 of 6x47 and 6gt in mine without issue.

Tactical Brass Recovery... by far and away the best unit out there. Light and durable. Models available for a broad selection of weapons. Veteran owned and operated business... MADE IN THE USA! Expensive, but both Models I own have functioned flawlessly and have recovered 100% of my brass.

Last edited:
I completely agree! I was just looking at the TBC and thought the same...

Reactions: phlegethon
I cant see myself spending $200 plus on a brass catcher,but ive said the same about other things before
It's only $140 + shipping and believe me I said the EXACT same thing!! However, me not having to bend over to pick up my brass or search for in the grass or gravel....it's worth every penny I paid for it!! :cool:

Reactions: phlegethon
His name is Trevor. His design is now sold by MPA

Attachments

• B3CCA058-AE11-4BBF-96AE-8C967878DBFD.jpeg
    B3CCA058-AE11-4BBF-96AE-8C967878DBFD.jpeg
    743.2 KB · Views: 654
  • B21EE452-4D34-45A6-8FC2-D9560A7CCDDE.jpeg
    B21EE452-4D34-45A6-8FC2-D9560A7CCDDE.jpeg
    569 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: THEWAKLER