• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has the time?

Gunny81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2012
OK
Just a question. Nothing personal. It seems that some of the members here have an extremely high post count. It also seems that some of those are extremely gung ho about being extremely biased and opinionated about certain topics. My question is, how the fuck do you have the time to put in all that field experience and post all the time? I work about 60 hours a week and reloading n shooting along with hunting and fishing are my only hobbies. I probably shoot less than 500 rounds per month as time permits. Just wondering how some people have the time.

Re: Who has the time?

Its about the LOVE....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people live on less sleep or never sleep! </div></div>

I hear ya. I almost think spend too much time tweakin loads for my "little" collection. It just seems a little off that somoeone could have 10k posts and have the time to shoot as much as they claim. I have narrowed my obsession to the calibers I have listed. All I do now is try to find a use for em all. I remember a quote on someone's signature that said "You think explainin a $3000 rifle to a guy at deer camp is hard, try explainin it to your wife". I think it's a good place to compare ideas. It just made me a little apprehensive when it seemed like a lot of em are just bouncing the same shit around that others have said. maybe 10% have actually done it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunny81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My question is, how the fuck do you have the time to put in all that field experience and post all the time? </div></div>

Some people put in the time years ago and now reap the rewards. Some people had the foresight to start their own businesses that run with very little input and some people post while they're working. Some people might be unemployed, stay at home dads, students, and/or insomniacs. The bottom-line is that you're trying to insinuate that those with high post counts don't actually shoot while not taking into account that not everybody is like you... There's a word for that: prejudice.

I don't shoot nearly as much as others here, but I've come to trust the "same shit" that's bouncing around.

For instance, one constant in the optics section is "who has better glass". For high end optics, it seems that Hensoldt/S&B are consistently at the tip-top with USO/Premier damn close behind. When I came into a position to purchase a top-tier optic I listened to the trend and got a S&B for my bolt gun. Couldn't be happier. It saved me a lot of money from the process of buying/selling scopes to end up at S&B (which I am sure I would have eventually).

Another thing that I don't mind about is think about it as if you're doing research on say GAP, Chad Dixon, APA, etc. for a high-dollar full custom. Now if all you saw is one or two posts bitching about something that screwed up and then one or two posts of excellent work that is a relatively high percentage of issues with that 'smith. However in reality you probably have 100-200 positive reviews compared to 1 negative review which would provide more confidence in that 'smith.

I look at things pretty analytically and when I see all these posts good/bad for each vendor's work and customer service (huge factor to me), I see them as data points that help me choose where to spend my money.

As for my high post count, it's mostly due to insomnia and boredom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunny81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My question is, how the fuck do you have the time to put in all that field experience and post all the time? </div></div>

Some people put in the time years ago and now reap the rewards. Some people had the foresight to start their own businesses that run with very little input and some people post while they're working. Some people might be unemployed, stay at home dads, students, and/or insomniacs. The bottom-line is that you're trying to insinuate that those with high post counts don't actually shoot while not taking into account that not everybody is like you... There's a word for that: prejudice. </div></div>

Not insinuating a thing. Just asking. I understand that not everyone's like me. I can just tell when some are repeating jargain. I apologize if I caused offense. That wasn't the intent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't shoot nearly as much as others here, but I've come to trust the "same shit" that's bouncing around.

For instance, one constant in the optics section is "who has better glass". For high end optics, it seems that Hensoldt/S&B are consistently at the tip-top with USO/Premier damn close behind. When I came into a position to purchase a top-tier optic I listened to the trend and got a S&B for my bolt gun. Couldn't be happier. It saved me a lot of money from the process of buying/selling scopes to end up at S&B (which I am sure I would have eventually).

Another thing that I don't mind about is think about it as if you're doing research on say GAP, Chad Dixon, APA, etc. for a high-dollar full custom. Now if all you saw is one or two posts bitching about something that screwed up and then one or two posts of excellent work that is a relatively high percentage of issues with that 'smith. However in reality you probably have 100-200 positive reviews compared to 1 negative review which would provide more confidence in that 'smith.

I look at things pretty analytically and when I see all these posts good/bad for each vendor's work and customer service (huge factor to me), I see them as data points that help me choose where to spend my money.

As for my high post count, it's mostly due to insomnia and boredom.

</div></div>

I can understand the insomnia. I can often get sidetracked late at night especially when fartin with loads. I guess I just don't think to spend much time on the puter.

<<< put in a LOT of time in the past, currently semi retired, live walking distance from my range, AND have insomnia....

and the Hide window is usually open, even if I'm not sitting at the computer... I tend to walk by, hit the active topics and unanswered posts icons, scan them, and reply if I have an opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people live on less sleep or never sleep! </div></div>

You aint' kiddin'. As I approach the big 50 I rarely sleep more than about 5 hours a night. Sometimes I look at my post count and don't know how I got there either considering I have not offered a single thing for sale and maybe 20 or so Motivational thread postings.
Then I see Greg's 26K and TS's 22K and think WOW!!!

Night shift, insomnia, 30+ years of handloading and shooting, match director, 3 yrs as a monthly contributor to the IHMSA news,long time competitor in numerous shooting disciplines, full time asshole, part time clown, half assed comedian.

If I didn't take a daily 1000mg dose of Fukitol, my post count would be over 3K.
Yes I too get the idea often that I am reading a lot of regurgitated bullshit, I have learned to ignore most of this. It has greatly reduced my insomnia.

They've worked hard all of their lives. They've saved and invested their monies, and now they're retired.

Get your lazy ass to work, save your money, and you can do the same thing.

Swithchblade, Grown it has, I think I was about 23 or 24 on the list.
I don't post much but do have retired time to do so if it revs me up.
If you are retired and have nothing else to do, you could post all of the time.
I can't sleep past 0500, then awake, and it ain't cause I want to rub on Panty6+'s posterior.
I would be out making pink mist in the prairie dog town right now except the wind has them all holding down.
If they are smart enough to hunker in, I best follow suit.
Regards, FM

I just turned 58 the other day (10/17) ... all my fun was about 30 years ago so I post when I have something to say OR when something I do now has relevance. Still reload, still test & still shoot. maybe not in a "tact-i-cool" sense but I do shoot. As for time to post ... I'll sleep when I'm dead !!

Some people have a ton of knowledge, and are able to post and share that knowledge frequently in many of the sections of this forum... Others just soak up the info, and post very little.

Content deleted.

Wouldn't want to be annoying the newbs by littering The 'Hide with BS, would we...?

^^^^^^^^^^^^Hes got the time.
smile.gif

Let's see - three tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan gave me some time to hit on some posts. Deployments are always extremely busy or times of extreme boredom and if you have internet connections - whallah, Sniper's Hide posts.