• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has used SM Mag Pistol Primers in a .223?

LSUbeatUby40

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I came across some FGMM Small Magnum primers today and some people said you could use them in .223 loads for bolt, but not AR..

Its fine if you can't cause I can sell them or use them for other things, but just wanted to know?

Re: Who has used Small Magnum Primers in a .223 bolt?

I have some 205 magnum primers. I've used them in 223 for both bolt gun and AR with no problems what so ever. Actually in most cases they get used in the AR. Whenever I'm doing load testing in a new rifle, I test three primers with various powder combos until I settle on a load. This creates uneven primer levels in the stash. Those get put into 223 loads for the AR fodder. Never noticed any extra pressure than normal. Most times the speeds are less than the rem 7 1/2's. The ones I have are not a Match version though.

Re: Who has used Small Magnum Primers in a .223 bo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most reloading manuals used to recommend magnum primers when using ball powders as it was harder to ignite. In the old days I used alot. Now with my main 222/223/222mag loads using mainly 2015 I use regular. Also used regular for 24+ lbs of the Accurate 2200 date powder which was ball. Cheap, cheap I am for p dogging.

Just work up your loads if you switch them for what you were using. The smaller cases can be a bit more sensitive to primer changes than the large primer cases it seems sometimes. Don't know why they wouldn't work in an AR, I have used them in one with no problems!!!!

Edited to ask, what is the number if they are Federal small rifle magnum? I thought Fed only had the 205 regular and the 205M for match???? </div></div>

Sorry In my post I left out they are Small Magnum Pistol Primers..

I would NOT recommend using any Pistol Primer in a .223Rem application (Except perhaps in some castbullet plinking load). Pistol Primers are designed to operate in the 40-45Kpsi Maximum range. Rifle primers are designed to operate in the 60-65Kpsi Maximum range.

If you've ever used Small Rifle primers in pistol loads, you will notice the cups are noticeably thicker and harder.

Using Pistol Primers in a rifle application, IMO, is a recipe for pierced primers (rifle ignition system considerably stronger than handgun) and blown primers.

Safety First.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to keep a 223 load down in the 45,000 PSI range? </div></div>

Yes, but you'd either have to do your OWN load development (do you have the pressure measuring equipment? If not, all you would be doing is taking a WAG)

OR

Look at every loading manual for reduced load data (I think Lyman might have some).

Don't know what you're planning on shooting it out of, but it will not operate the AR action.

Again, IMO not something I would recommend, except as a mental exercise.

Would rather trade your pistol primers for some rifle.

I wouldn't try it in an AR. I have a little H&R break action in .223. Ima read up on this some more..