• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who here is well versed on Anchutz (pictures up)

Victor N TN

Retired civilian fart
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2002
Knoxville TN
I don't really know a lot when they aren't marked. But a local shop has a long, heavy Anshutz but I can't find a model number on it. Both the barrel and the receiver are a lot heavier than the Winchester 75 I have been shooting. Both the stock and barrel are a lot longer than the Winchester as well. Also the stock is very robust and the fore end is rounded. It did have the typical shifting buttplate.

I'll go back in a few days and see if I missed something. But I thought I looked all over the receiver for a model number. There were other markings. I just couldn't find a model.

When I go back I'll take a borescope with me and look over the chamber and crown.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Who here is well versed on Anchutz rifles...?

Does the rifle have a Beavertail stock?? Does the barrel go bigger at the muzzle?? Could be the 64 MPR?? But that should be marked....

Victor,

If you could get a picture of the rifle it would help immensely. Good to see you around again.

Josh

It is common for them to have been re-barreled. The barrel on a stock rifle carries the model information.

Old 54s have a single extractor on the right side; the later rifles are all dual extractor. Look at the front of the bolt and the cuts in the back of the barrel.

Swept back bolt handle with a larger knob (about .700" OD) is a later 18xx/19xx action. Small and straight is earlier.

Snap a few pics, PM me, and I'll help you sort it out.

Thanks guys. The shop is closed today. I'll try to get by there tomorrow and take a few photos so maybe we can sort this out.

I'm also going to take a borescope. How would the things I look for on a rimfire differ from a centerfire? Wear marks in a ginen place on the inside of the chamber near the throat? Crown wear evenly around the inside diameter? Basically bad cleaning habits. Recutting the crown isn't a problem. But I have never chambered a rimfire before.

I went over to the gun shop today and took my borescope with me. The Winchester 75 looked very good to me. But there was a ring of bad pitting at the end of the chamber. New barrel in the future.

I took a good look at the Anschutz. It is a model 54 match single shot. It had one extractor. I looked down the barrel on it and didn't see the pitting that was on the Winchester. But there seemed to be a lot of wear. Or does Anschutz do some kind of micro rifling? 3 or 4 inches ahead of the chamber the rifling was a bit heavier. When I checked from the muzzle end it was the same thing. From the crown back a few inches the rifling was very faint. Then it got heavier. I think it was probably bad cleaning.

Anyway while I was doing all this looking at these 2 targets rifles a guy who was there already when I came in walked up and started talking.

He asked if I was serious about shooting. When I asked why he said he has a Kimber 22, Government model 82 target rifle. It's new in the box and has never been fired. He wants $800 for it.

I think I'll get with him Saturday and take a look at it. The price on the Winchester #75 was $400 and the Anschutz was $500. Neither had sights and both needed some work. Possibly a new barrel for both of them.

I took a few photos on those 2 while I was there. I'll try to put them up after supper.

"But there was a ring of bad pitting at the end of the chamber. New barrel in the future."

90+% chance this is just carbon and will come right out with some JB and a tight patch. Seen this many times on 22s.

"But there seemed to be a lot of wear. Or does Anschutz do some kind of micro rifling? 3 or 4 inches ahead of the chamber the rifling was a bit heavier. When I checked from the muzzle end it was the same thing. "

This is symptomatic of your aging eyesight, not the barrel. Put a set of +2.0 wal mart cheaters on in front of whatever you normally wear for eyewear (contacts, glasses, including bifocals) over the bifocal if you have them and take another look. Both ends looking the same is the clue here, and something I too have experienced. It is your eyes, not the barrel.

"He asked if I was serious about shooting. When I asked why he said he has a Kimber 22, Government model 82 target rifle. It's new in the box and has never been fired. He wants $800 for it."

Did he offer it with a tube of KY? The CMP will sell you one of their NIB "rusty" Kimbers ("rust" is just hardened grease) for $400 or the non-"rusty" for $600.

"The price on the Winchester #75 was $400 and the Anschutz was $500. "

The Annie re-wrote the book on smallbore performance with the 54 action. One of the big factors is lock time and firing pin consistency of ignition. The Winnie 75 is a "B team" rifle, as is the Remington 513. The "A team" rifles are the 52 and 37 respectively, the 37 followed up by the 40X rimfire.

If you want something to shoot, buy the Annie. If you want to collect, go find a better specimen of a 75 with sites for similar money elsewhere.

+1 on 9H's recommendation. $500 for an Anschutz 54 Super Match is a very good buy. Plus there are lots of goodies and accessories around for the Annie's. The Win 75's are nice rifles and probably shoot better than most of us can hold. The Kimber 82 Gov's were OK rifles but be prepared to shoot it as is, not much else available for it.

Here's what I saw this afternoon.
100_0620.jpg

100_0616.jpg

100_0614.jpg

100_0613.jpg

100_0610.jpg

100_0604.jpg

100_0602.jpg

100_0622.jpg

When the shop wasn't crowded and I could get them in my hands to look at closer, I found the markings just fine.

NOTE: The photos got out of order. The very top and bottom ones go together. They're the Wnichester. All the others are the Anschuetz.

Victor,

It appears to be a 1411. It is one of the older ones with the single extractor and dovetail to the rear of the loading/ejection port. I have a 1413 that shoots way better than I can. That is the original barrel and unless the previous owner put thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, you should have a fine shooter. I would take that thing for 500 any day.

Josh

Where is this shop located? I need to go by there and confirm the authenticity of this gun before I advise you on the purchase
smile.gif

Re: Who here is well versed on Anchutz (pictures up)

9H,

I sincerely appreciate your expertise when it comes to smallbore. However,

1. The Anschutz manual for the 1965 version for the 14xx series shows that the above pictured stock is a 1411...even down to the checkering.

2. You also misunderstand me on the dovetail. I know that all 54s have it to the rear of the port. I was pointing out the fact that it is an older model (Pre 71 I think) as it doesn't have the dovetail forward of the port.

3. As for the comment about no 14xx having a single extractor...The 54 action had the single extractor for a time and, according to Anschutz manuals, you either owned the 1411 or 1413 based on the stock.

The exploded view with the 1411 stock (like the one in Victor's pictures) is about 2/3rds of the way through the manual (pdf page 10; manual page 20).

Aschutz Manual for Match 54 Version 08/1965 (1407/1411/1413)

Again, I always respect your opinion on these things, I just feel I am correct in this case. I also own a 1413 that was built in 74 with the dual extractors and dual dovetail.

Josh

You are right on - my apologies - I am more versed on the later 14xx rifles as shown in the pics I posted above as these are all I consider owning/recommending to those wanting to compete with the rifle.

Post revised.

Now, as to the document you posted and your personal rifles -

The document you posted refers to the 54 Match and 54 Super Match barreled actions then the 1411 and 1413 stocks - BUT look at the parts breakdown - the parts breakdown shows DUAL EXTRACTOR. Parts 10, 12, and 13, then 11, 12, and 13. Mac confirmed the two extractors are different part numbers but the springs and retainers are the same.

Mac Tilton says the dual extractors came in around serial # 50,000.

So yes, the non-adjustable stock can be a 14xx, but based on the link you posted, the single extractor rifle IS NOT a 14xx.

Barrel marking of "Match 54" followed the rifles for decades.

Barrel markings may or may not accurately describe the rifle. What trigger it will take, dual extractor versus single, barrel contour, then the combination of those elements PLUS what stock it is in defines the rifle.

I still stand by statements that a single extractor non-adjustable stock rifle like is in these pics is a pre-14xx rifle.

Mac also said that when he gets these rifles he has a fixture to convert them to dual extractor. He'll set the barrel back at the same time and re-chamber with a modern reamer and the rifles tend to shoot real well.

Still a good buy for $500 and a very usable rifle.

Victor and anyone reading this,

9H and I have traded PMs and I totally agree with his last post. Anschutz rifles of that period are some of the toughest to identify. Until the transitional 16xx series, and subsequent 18xx and 19xx, the 14xx were really hard to identify. As 9H stated above, it seems as if the rifle is a "pre-14xx" match 54 action and barrel. The stock is an older 1411 stock. What I can tell you is that 500 is a great price. I paid 1200 for my 1413 (1974 model).

Josh

Anyone have an idea about what the counter bored holes near the top of the comb is? I figure it's probably to mount some kind of pad to add to the height of comb on the stock. Anyone have a photo of what it might be.

100_0613.jpg

Victor,

That is what it appears to be. Many owners modified the stocks to suit their needs. The last time I talked to Mac Tilton he told me he was finding fewer and fewer stocks that had not been altered at some time during their life. That said, there were so many match 54s produced that the value isn't too degraded based on that. What you could do is contact Don Stith and have him cut you a stock for that 54. He does great work from the ones I have seen.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor,

That is what it appears to be. Many owners modified the stocks to suit their needs. The last time I talked to Mac Tilton he told me he was finding fewer and fewer stocks that had not been altered at some time during their life. That said, there were so many match 54s produced that the value isn't too degraded based on that. What you could do is contact Don Stith and have him cut you a stock for that 54. He does great work from the ones I have seen.

Josh </div></div>

Josh and others,

Forgive me if I sound a little stupid. But I'm a little out of my own regular surroundings with this.

Who is Don Stith, and how do I contact him?

Thanks,

Victor,

He makes really beautiful wood and laminate stocks for various target rifles such as the Anschutz 54, Suhl 150, Winchester 52, etc. A couple pics are below (not mine). I have also linked his website. His prices are very reasonable. He will do pretty much any wood or laminate you want and finish it for you if you desire.

myriflefamily006.jpg

suhlinnewstock001.jpg

Donstith.com

Josh

After I emailed Don Stith, he replied that benchrest rifles was about all he worked on and he wasn't interested in doing an all position stock for me.

Anyone else have any ideas?

From looking at the photos on his web site, I probably couldn't afford him.

Maybe I'll start looking for an older used stock for now.

Not sure what you want different Victor. Mac Tilton will sell you the hardware to make the cheek adjustable on the stock it has on it. Not a big deal to install by a handy guy. LOP/butt can be changed by conventional means.

Note.....if you need a factory replacement barrel, I have one. xray9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Note.....if you need a factory replacement barrel, I have one. xray9 </div></div>

For free?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what you want different Victor. Mac Tilton will sell you the hardware to make the cheek adjustable on the stock it has on it. Not a big deal to install by a handy guy. LOP/butt can be changed by conventional means. </div></div>

How do I get in touch with Mac Tilton?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor,

http://www.mtguns.com

Hope this helps. If you end up not buying the Annie, let me know. I am semi-local to you and I will run up and get it.

Thanks

Eddie </div></div>

Eddie,

Thanks for the link. He has some nice photos up. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, if nothing changes. If, for some reason, things fall through, I'll give you a shout.

Sounds good Victor. If it shoots like all the 54's I've seen. You'll have it for ever. My two 54's are the only rifles I own that will never be for sale.

Eddie

It seems like you are getting away from the Winchester 75, which for the prices listed is probably a good thing. I had a 75 that I shot when I was a teenager. It was a good rifle overall to learn open sights position shooting cheaply, but the trigger was absolutely dismal for a "target" rifle. It was adjustable - the problem was it seemed to have two settings - gorilla heavy -or- nice and light with finger numbing backlash. I still learned a lot from it and made some money when I traded it, but given the choice I would be working on that Anschutz deal (sounds like that is where you are headed).

Don't misunderstand me on the Winchester 75. It's a great model of rifle. I've been shooting one for the last several months. But the borescope showed me more than I wanted to see. It will have to have a new barrel if anyone is serious about shooting it.

I'm going to get the Anschutz and work on it as I can.

After I got it home and looked at it real good all over, it is in better shape than I had originally thought. I need to find and order a set of sights for it. But I fired 2 rounds the other day, just to make sure it would.

Great to hear Victor. Give Mac Tilton a call. He has a bunch of sights that need new homes.

Josh