• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who here knows window tints?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hey all,

Do we have any window tint experts around here?

I keep hearing nano ceramic, only ceramic with no nano, etc. Can somebody tell me the differences and how many types of tints exist? I'm gonna start looking into tinting my corvette and want to know what to ask for.

I need UV protection on my windshield to prevent my leather dash from starting to unglue. And I don't need that same level protection all around if I can still get tint that only helps keep tempts inside lower. It's hot here in south texas.

Hey all,

Do we have any window tint experts around here?

I keep hearing nano ceramic, only ceramic with no nano, etc. Can somebody tell me the differences and how many types of tints exist? I'm gonna start looking into tinting my corvette and want to know what to ask for.

I need UV protection on my windshield to prevent my leather dash from starting to unglue. And I don't need that same level protection all around if I can still get tint that only helps keep tempts inside lower. It's hot here in south texas.
    I'm not a real expert other than being a consumer, Wife and I both have had bouts with skin C. Also big in offshore sportfishing boats, live in Corpus area.
    There are both U/V & thermal blocking tint. I'm not sure if they come in untinted enough to be legally used on car windshields though.
    I have used several and can't really recommend any in CC including F&B which has changed drastically in the past couple of years, not sure if they changed hands or employee problems or what, they're just not the quality they once were.
    I recently used the one in Portland and will be going there for future tint. They do boats and houses also. I hate to name names but it won't be hard to figure out. If you have problems pm me.

Find a tint shop and ask. They're all going to have what you want, as it is Texas.

First thing : Tint isn't magic film. Heat can still pass by means of the door skins. So while you might stop interior fading, the heat will get through to the inside.

With that the different types of tint are as a result of product advances and cell phones. Be careful about the film cause you might end up blocking cell signals.
    I did some research to find this company : https://autobahnwindowfilms.com/products/window-tint/

I found my area had a few places but one business stood out. They were over an hour away. Why?? The guy took the time to answer my questions over the phone. I made the appointment, showed up a week later, picked out the tint, gave up my keys, truck glass all around got done (along with PPF on the grab area of the door handles). I've been REALLY happy with the tint selection. To the point that in the summer time I can have the sun blazing full bore into the drivers seat. I roll up the window which stops the intense heat. I still use a windshield sun blocker even with the front tint I used.

To the first point the interior still gets hot, just not baking/broiling heat as before. So don't rush, search your product out, find a dealer, get shaded! :cool: :cool:

Here's what you do seek out a legit tint shop with good reviews tell them you want the best tint they have money can buy as dark as you can legally go all the way around. Thats what I did on my truck and what a huge difference it made with inside temps in my truck. This is the tint they used NANO-CERAMIC WINDOW TINT https://www.xpel.com/products/window-film/automotive-window-tint

Here's what you do seek out a legit tint shop with good reviews tell them you want the best tint they have money can buy as dark as you can legally go all the way around. Thats what I did on my truck and what a huge difference it made with inside temps in my truck. This is the tint they used NANO-CERAMIC WINDOW TINT https://www.xpel.com/products/window-film/automotive-window-tint

I did it on one of my new cars and the difference hopping in between one and the other (ordinary versus nano ceramic) was genuinely noticeable.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    I don't know shit about window tinting. I do know that I had a reputable national chain tint every window in my F150 Crewcab, including the windshield with the nano-ceramic.

I can't tell a damn bit of difference between it and the regular tint that was on my last crewcab, except for certain light colored vehicles have a bluish tint to them at a distance out the windshield, look whatever color they are at a car length distance.

I want whatever Jeep puts on the new Grand Wagoneer Obsidian, f the tint laws
    IMG_1279.jpeg

Tint laws are racist.

I do ceramic 70% on the front windshield. It blocks a little heat, but it’s mainly on there for cutting glare while night driving.

35% on the rest of the windows.

Tint laws are racist.

I do ceramic 70% on the front windshield. It blocks a little heat, but it’s mainly on there for cutting glare while night driving.

35% on the rest of the windows.
    35? Eff that. I do 5% on the back back doors and back glass, and 20% stacked on top of whatever tint the front is from the factory. 35 is too light. Other people can still see in.

Edit-ymmv on how hard your local cops enforce tint laws. They don’t really give af around here and they only apply to the front doors and windshield here.

I was told by some tint guys down the road that tint is tint really and that the ceramic crap is largely a sales gimmick. I have no idea and they were happy to sell and install it for me either way. It only cost like $20 extra so I went for it. I had some kind of tint in my last grocery getter vehicle that I paid extra For because I didn’t want it fading or turning purple. It took a long time, like 15 years but it eventually started fading and turning purple. Again I have no idea. It’s not terribly expensive. Get what you like and if you don’t like it, have them remove it and replace it. My only issue with any tint is that I have yet to find anyone that can match the factory tint. What I just had done on my Jeep looks great from the outside and matches the back factory tint but from the inside looking out it’s vastly different. Everything looks blue whereas looking out from the inside with the factory tint, it’s more neutral, there isn’t any weird color cast. Regardless, tint makes any car look better and will help cool it off some. Do it.

Last edited:
    I'm tryna do 50% on windshield and 25% everywhere else all around.

IMG_20231024_203812_276.jpg
    IMG_20231024_200900_399.jpg
    IMG_20231024_203321_185.jpg
    IMG_20231024_201416_054 (2).jpg

Yeah its gonna look cool and all but I'm more concerned about my leather dash. It's starting to come up in a couple spots and I know it's a bitch to re-glue it.

If I can manage to keep UV rays and Temps down a bit, it'll probably help significantly. With the curvature of my rear window making it a bit more difficult to install tint, I'm looking at spending anywhere from like $450 to maybe $900.

Reactions: tsavo303
    I have ceramic tint on my Camaro and it’s been great. Used a place in Austin called CustomFX Tint. They do great work and are at around the mid point of your price range. They are also familiar with doing tint on vehicles with windows like the vette.

You can definitely tell the difference between normal tint and the ceramic. Had tint removed from another vehicle and the ceramic installed and the heat from the car sitting outside in the summer was substantial.

As far as off color when looking inside out or it fading into a purple, I haven’t seen that with the tint they use. They used to use Llumar, but have switch to Global. I can’t really tell a difference between them. It’s been 6 years and I haven’t had issues with the tint.

Edit-ymmv on how hard your local cops enforce tint laws. They don’t really give af around here and they only apply to the front doors and windshield here.
    Around here they threaten to arrest people for tint

Meanwhile all their work and personal vehicles have limo tint on them.

Scum

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    I’ve always gone with Llumar or ceramic 3M tint. It’s way better than the others, don’t let them tell you otherwise. My vehicles have all been done with premium tint and I’ve never had it turn purple or bubble or fade over 20 years of use. I live in Florida, where the sun can kill your interior quickly. Buying quality tint for a few dollars more just makes sense.

Reactions: SilentStalkr