• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Who hunts with a "ROCK" or similar tactical style

SAKOstalker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2004
USA
WHo here hunts with a heavy tactical rifle as their primary hunting rifle? im talking 10+ pounds in a "ROCK" configuration or other.... feedback?

Re: Who hunts with a "ROCK" or similar tactical style

aoudad1.jpg

scenery2.jpg

GAP "Crusader-ish" .260 rifle - 14.2 lbs with NF F1 and stuff.

I have taken the AWSM .338 in the past, and will probably take the DTA SRS .338 this year as well. But, I am building a lighter weight 7WSM for hiking this year. I hiked all over last December in West Texas with the GAP 260 (more hiking than in the past). I was pretty worn out after 5 days.

I carry an Iron Brigade Armory rifle that weighs in at 15# loaded. I carry it because I know where it hits.
2rem700.jpg

i hunted with my 700P before I sold it. I use a SPR style AR for everything now. It still in the 10+ lb range.

my AR is my primary hunting set up. loaded with a can it is pushing 16lbs but with the custom double shoulder sling...its no issue. im a young buck.

IMG_1286.jpg

I hunt with my tactical rifles if the terrain warrants it. If I'm climbing several thousand vertical feet per day I carry a lot lighter setup. (GAP Non Typical .308 @ 7.5lbs)

This buck was taken at 470 meters with a Surgeon built .308...it weighs 17lbs.

Familyantelope2009012.jpg

Antelope buck shot with my GAP .338LM. This one tips the scale at 20lbs. I carry these big rifles in a drag bag.

pretty rifles

thx for feedback

I dunno how much my varmint-barreled Savage weighs, but with scope/bipod it's a good bit.

It's in .223 and I used it for deer hunting this past winter.

All I ever hunted with was 13 lbs+ rifles when I hunted down south out of a shooting house. To me it was they were perfect rifles, sturdy, super accurate, and I had supreme confidence in them. I also did some deer hunting in Montana with a M40ish rifle and didn't mind the weight at all. I put more emphasis on how the rifle shoots than what it weighs. I will gladly hump a heavier rifle that I can shoot better that a lighter rifle that I don't shoot quite as well.

Not quite in that weight class, but my Remmy LTR has become my goto rifle. Easy packin too.

Not a "Rock" but this is my main hunting rifle. Whether I hiking in miles, across breaks in Montana, or horseback.

338 Edge, 31" barrel, 14lbs loaded.
mt2009011.jpg

.308 Rem PSS with a 10X Super Sniper and Harris bi-pod

I regularly hunt the bean fields and woods lots of the Eastern Shore of MD and the hills of PA. Taken deer from stands, standing, prone across fields, and snap shooting running deer off the marshes.

I like it!! It puts the bullets where I aim them EVERY TIME!

I packed this 16lb pig elk hunting this year!But i also got full use out of my eberlestock pack.

DSCN2500.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a "Rock" but this is my main hunting rifle. Whether I hiking in miles, across breaks in Montana, or horseback.

mt2009011.jpg

</div></div>

With scope??

What are the specs?

I predator hunt with a 16+# rifle

I hunt with a 15 lb. (including optics) custom .375 H&H Mag.

I have a GAP Rock in 308 that I do a fair amount of hunting with, have not carried in the mountains yet but I have taken some nice antelope and whitetails with it along with a bunch of hogs, like it so I have placed another order with GA a few weeks ago for one in 243, now for the wait.

Here is mine. She weighs in right around 15lbs. My girlfriend killed her first animal with it. About a 200lb boar with one shot. Thing is a pig to haul around but makes up for it in accuracy.

PIGHUNT2009ANDOHIOTRIPINAUGUST043.jpg

PigHunt018.jpg

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a "Rock" but this is my main hunting rifle. Whether I hiking in miles, across breaks in Montana, or horseback.

mt2009011.jpg

</div></div>

With scope??

What are the specs? </div></div>

That includes the NF 5.5-22 scope.

Specs:
Manners T2 Stock with carbon shell
Remington LA
Broughton custom contour barrel with long 3/8" wide fluting 31"
40 MOA Rail
NF LW rings
NF 5.5-22x50
Jewel trigger
Seekins DBM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a "Rock" but this is my main hunting rifle. Whether I hiking in miles, across breaks in Montana, or horseback.

mt2009011.jpg

</div></div>

With scope??

What are the specs? </div></div>

That includes the NF 5.5-22 scope.

Specs:
Manners T2 Stock with carbon shell
Remington LA
Broughton custom contour barrel with long 3/8" wide fluting 31"
40 MOA Rail
NF LW rings
NF 5.5-22x50
Jewel trigger
Seekins DBM </div></div>
Did you do this build or did you have Shawn build it?

I built this one and quite a few others like it so far. Shawn was a big help with information and is a good friend. This rifle is actually on his "Send it" video.

Here's mine, weights just a little over 10lbs loaded. 300wsm built by LongShot on a Manners T with an M24 contour barrel.

08muledeerinthefield.jpg

Nice pic Greg!! What are the specs on that setup?

Remington 700 LA (trued) with BDL bottom metal
Leupold 4.5x14x40 w/turrets
Seekins rings and bases
26" Rock/ABS carbon wrapped barrel 1:11.25 twist
Factory trigger set at 2 lbs

300 Win Mag from Patriot Arms = about 11# scoped & loaded:

ElkHunt012.jpg

I hunt with heavy rigs, but not in the mountains if I am trying to keep up with someone else. However, a good smith can take a something like a #5 krieger and make a hell of an accurate rifle out of it. I have just that on a 700, in the plain old wood bdl stock, bought it used. Getting 165 accubonds to 0.6" was a walk in the park, and I didn't try to get it smaller. Its heavier than a typical factory rig, but not much. Speaking of which I need to put a new handle on that gal.

That being said, the new primary is a 700 with #7 shilen, mcm adj htg(sniper fill), 13# with bipod.

DSC00089.jpg

Here is my dad's kill with my 375. You don't have to do much stalking with these just shoot them from where ever you want.

Man after my own heart. What's with this crawling crap when the bullet can fly....

Seriously, not the done thing here old boy. You should never shoot a deer further than 150 yards don't you know. Ha Ha

Like the rig

Andy

Not a ROCK but a GAP Crusader-ish in 308win

0201001044a.jpg

It's 16lbs loaded. It's heavy for a while then you get use to it.

xdeano

Here's one of my Thoroughbred Rifles in 7Mag from last season. It's a cross between a tactical rig and a hunting rig. That's a 26" Bartlein #3 (same as everyone else's #4) in a McM Hunter stock with jewell trigger and TBR brake. Leu 6.5-20x50 w/TMR.
Best of all - .4 MOA with Factory Win Sup 140 BST. The shot was 655 yds. One of my favorite ambushes for whitetail doe.

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

Dragged along the GAP .243 on a recent hunt in Oklahoma, for a goof. With the fixed Atlas, scoped & loaded, and an xtra mag in the pouch, it's a tad over 12 lbs.
Hardly burdensome during 3 days of coyote hunting and even bagged a triple with it on one stand...
OPHA2010027.jpg

bobcatbradjason-1.jpg

Killed a bobcat with my 7wsm. 13 pounds fully loaded.

cat was a female over 30 pounds

Just got this one Tuesday and now the fun begins.
P1020482.jpg

What does the standard GAP Crusader weigh anyhow? I'd guess 8-10lbs. Proly about like a loaded Remington sendero?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNAGLYTOOTH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC00089.jpg

Here is my dad's kill with my 375. You don't have to do much stalking with these just shoot them from where ever you want. </div></div>
im going to need the specs on this beast of a rifle!!!!!

bench

375 Cheytac
Lawton assembled barreled action
8000 single shot action
32" 11.5 twist LRB barrel fluted with lawton break.
lawton 40MOA base.
Timney trigger
McMillan A5 adj
Nightforce 5.5-22.56
BORS computer
One helluva Long range hunter!!
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNAGLYTOOTH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">375 Cheytac
Lawton assembled barreled action
8000 single shot action
32" 11.5 twist LRB barrel fluted with lawton break.
lawton 40MOA base.
Timney trigger
McMillan A5 adj
Nightforce 5.5-22.56
BORS computer
One helluva Long range hunter!!
Thanks</div></div>

That is a beast! I hope for the sake of your back that any barrel over 30 inches is crew served!

I have been coyote hunting with this 17lb Rock. Packed it a few miles.

IMG_1197.jpg

I plan on hunting with this custom, it is also 17lbs.

IMG_1407.jpg

I called GAP, and was told the Crusader weighs about 12 lbs, and the Rock about 9.5 lbs. I suspect that is with scope rail and rings, but not sure.

My last set of hunting rifles. One was stolen the other is being rebuilt to replace the one that was stolen.

100_0086.jpg