• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Who is a Veterinarian?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    My sons dog walking job has become my buddy and this poor guy does horrible this time of year with allergies.

He appears very ripped up this year….

C6647161-98CF-4D85-929F-2E03D11B4746.jpeg

41609126-1B72-429C-A5DC-225237135CE3.jpeg

CCB7DC6B-C03E-47C2-8E9E-C3F0BC4F6A91.jpeg

His owner takes very good care of him and Has probably spent a ton of money trying to figure this out.

Sucks to see him like this.

Looks like good old winter dry skin. Try adding some olive oil and brewer's yeast to his food, maybe one at a time and see if either works.

We have a rat terrier that started have allergy problems when he was 6 months old. He was just under a year old when we took him to a dermatologist and did allergy tests. It was the best decision we made, he's been on immunotherapy injections ever since and he's almost 5. He's had a lot of health issues, we dealt with seizures this past year, pancreatitis, and treating him for thyroid levels which we think might have been related to the seizures.

We used a table-spoon of Codliver Oil on the food, on the ranch. Kibble with potato and no grain is another option.

I used cottage cheese and raw egg, when a Ridgeback had mites after her immune system got slammed by a puppy vaccination.

My dog has horrible allergies year round, she gets a kenalog shot every 2 months. Works like a miracle!

Ours comes and goes. Whenever he starts continuously licking his paws, we know it's back. He's usually one meds about half the year for the past two years. Didn't start until we moved. Vet says probably the grass.

Gonna try some of the above suggestions. Maybe I can save a grand here and there.

Apoquel is a great drug for this. I am not a vet but I train a stable of horses and I have dogs and I have to diagnose a lot of things myself . My dog has sensitive skin and apoquel when it gets bad is good stuff

Had a boxer that we gave weekly allergy shots to and got a benedryl 2x/day as well. Gracie knew what I was doing when I got the vial out of the fridge and a hypo needle, she would walk over to me and stand there while I gave her the shot every Sunday. The shots helped, but Gracie never built up the immunity like the vet hoped she would.

Had a boxer that we gave weekly allergy shots to and got a benedryl 2x/day as well. Gracie knew what I was doing when I got the vial out of the fridge and a hypo needle, she would walk over to me and stand there while I gave her the shot every Sunday. The shots helped, but Gracie never built up the immunity like the vet hoped she would.
    Its amazing how they learn, My wolfdog Cloud got a rare liver fungus. I had to give her 5 pills, twice a day, for 20 months. No fun at all but she never complained and would open her mouth to take them.

Reactions: JimTN
    I would take the dog off of grains and give 1 benadryl tab every night and see how the next 2 weeks goes.

We had to take Milo to the vet for his allergy shots for the first year and a half. He got used to the easy cheese and me holding him that we were able to do them at home. Now, if we mention the word shot, he jumps into my arms and
    Is ready for his treat. Makes it pretty easy for us.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    We put our pup on a salmon diet when he was a pup after about 6k in vet bills for this. He is 9 1/2 with a great coat year round.
    Dinovite is another option to add to a better food. To jumpstart the healing codliver oil like stated above and a probiotic.

100% behind limited ingredient, no grain food as the place to start. One of ours had a rash, itchy feet, and puffy eyes and after months of vet visits, the feed made the difference. Their chow is expensive but cheaper than the vet.

100% behind limited ingredient, no grain food as the place to start. One of ours had a rash, itchy feet, and puffy eyes and after months of vet visits, the feed made the difference. Their chow is expensive but cheaper than the vet.
    About the only thing not cheaper than the vet is a dentist. Or plumber.

Reactions: 34SF
    Owner gave him a Benadryl the other night.

I think she has tried everything.

Not our place to give him anything but I will certainly pass on ideas.
    Ask them to get a blood test done looking specifically for Addison's desease.
    We lost our German shepherd to it at 6 years old. 30 percent of dogs have it and the owners don't know.
    The patchy loss of hair was our dogs only symptom untill she went into crisis