• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who is ditching their AR pistol with Brace in light of the ATF Brace-banning rumors?

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
There are rumors floating around that ATF has decided internally to reverse course on braces. This may come in 2 phases (if it occurs at all): (a) All braces not specifically approved are disapproved, and the guns on which they are mounted are SBR and must be registered under the 1934 Act, and (b) All braces which were previously approved now have their approval withdrawn and owners are given a brief grace period to dispose of them, or register the firearm as an SBR.

So I notice online sites now have lots of inventory of AR15s with Braces, but few in rifle configuration. It seems that the consuming public already knows that Braces might not be long for this world.

And we are in an excellent market for selling unwanted firearms.

So I wonder if many here have dumped a Brace recently. I dumped one. Did not like it much to begin with. Add just a tiny amount of hassle, and I am DONE with the Brace concept. (For reference: I never owned a bumpstock, so I missed that debacle.)

Related to this, and as a side note, I have always thought that a Brace prosecution would be an excellent time to challenge the NFA. An AR15 SBR and an AR15 pistol with Brace are functionally and substantively the same gun. The velcro which no one uses could be deemed by a friendly court to be a distinction without a difference. Since millions of Brace guns have been legally sold, the court could utilize the "in common usage" portion of the Heller line of cases to strike down the part of the NFA dealing with SBRs.

Oddly enough I dropped mine into lake Superior, fell off the side of the ferry on my way to Madeline Island. It's a relatively shallow part of the lake though. Only 330 feet in the middle of the channel. ATF can dive for it. It's okay though, pretty sure lake trout don't have shoulders.

Last edited:
It's them trying to turn me into a felon with illegal laws and rulings in the first place.

They can fuck off, as I'll continue not doing anything that was illegal at time of purchase.

well if the ATF isnt going to listen to the ATF.....why should I?

if they flip on braces again, im just gonna say "fuck it" and throw a stock on there.....ill just get an ejection port cover engraved with #blacklivesmatter and they wont be allowed to touch me.

Nice try ATF

nice try....

F1724299-5BEB-4873-A409-B5631D9CCD27.jpeg

I don’t have any braced pistols anymore, which is true since I did a form 1 for an HK 9mm because that A2 stock works fantastic but like bump stocks, once you ban an accessory, that opens the door to anything else getting the same treatment.

Braces aren’t for me, but I get why people want them and I don’t think they should be banned. Same with bump stock, not for me but if you want one, go for it. With the door open for banning accessories they can now say mags, grips, binary, red dots, muzzle devices, or whatever you attach to a weapon can be verboten as well. Those wanting to sacrifice the bump stock on the alter to the left did not see the big picture, they just saw “a stupid accessory” that was easy to give up since they didn’t own or want one.

There are rumors floating around that ATF has decided internally to reverse course on braces. This may come in 2 phases (if it occurs at all): (a) All braces not specifically approved are disapproved, and the guns on which they are mounted are SBR and must be registered under the 1934 Act, and (b) All braces which were previously approved now have their approval withdrawn and owners are given a brief grace period to dispose of them, or register the firearm as an SBR.

So I notice online sites now have lots of inventory of AR15s with Braces, but few in rifle configuration. It seems that the consuming public already knows that Braces might not be long for this world.

And we are in an excellent market for selling unwanted firearms.

So I wonder if many here have dumped a Brace recently. I dumped one. Did not like it much to begin with. Add just a tiny amount of hassle, and I am DONE with the Brace concept. (For reference: I never owned a bumpstock, so I missed that debacle.)

What's an AR pistol you speak of.....

Doc

Reactions: nikonNUT
I saw the loophole outside of a recent gun show and sold all of mine there. Watch your step though, I almost tripped. They were right when they said that thing is dangerous.

I serve my God and the Constitution, I live a quiet life of peaceful readiness. If the powers that be seek to make men like me felons by the stroke of a pen wielded by a corrupt hand. So be it. They may be reminded just how many hard working, tax paying , liberty loving Americans are overachievers.

if i had one, it would have been lost in the boating accident.

If guilt about not following the law is too much for you, I'll give you my address and you can mail those pesky "SBR's" to me for "disposal" :cool:

Regardless of how everyone feel about braces, the ATF comment period is open. I hope everyone leaves some professional logical comments telling the ATF that they can’t arbitrarily just create laws and random interpretations. Seriously, go throw down some logic for them to see.

Reactions: The D
Regardless of how everyone feel about braces, the ATF comment period is open. I hope everyone leaves some professional logical comments telling the ATF that they can’t arbitrarily just create laws and random interpretations. Seriously, go throw down some logic for them to see.
I sent in my $0.02 and told the wife to please make me aware of any black SUV’S in the neighborhood

Some may not care about laws for this generation, but laws will have an impact on the next. Perception becomes reality, and a large portion of a society’s perceptions are encapsulated in the laws. Just a thought.

I'll probably sbr. Between cal, weight and optic mine sounds like it could fit the bill of what may or might or wtf ever be deemed not a pistol depending on how some agent felt that day, or more likely what he was trying to achieve.

Some may not care about laws for this generation, but laws will have an impact on the next. Perception becomes reality, and a large portion of a society’s perceptions are encapsulated in the laws. Just a thought.

So true. That’s why you get the comment at the range; “aren’t silencers illegal.”

If they decide braces are illegal now I'm gonna take mine off like they ask. But I have something special I will put on it I have been saving for a rainy day. I will not be registering.

Couldn't Trump just pardon anyone who uses a brace in any manner? After his speech last night, that would be another boss move.

They should also be publicly shamed as ruthlessly and as often as possible

Reactions: G-Dog