• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who is making the most consistent rimfire barrels right now?

Kahrhart63

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
I know for years competitors in centerfire rifles will buy 10 barrels that are the same make and have them spun up and chambered the same in hopes of getting 4 good ones. In rimfire we are not burning out barrels. But this shows that barrel manufacturing is not a super consistant thing. Who are you all thinking is doing the most consistent work right now?

I really like Benchmark 3G in the last 10 years or so I have not had one bad barrel, and these are different profiles. from straight .900 to heavy reverse tapers. they all have shot to my expectations.
I will say I have only one experience with Shlien and was impressed and none with Muller.

Lee

Lilja has always been my go to with Benchmark the big gorilla out there. That said I am trying a Bartlein on my next toy.

I have had very good luck with shilen benchmark and muller. Krieger has been good also. Its been hit or miss with bartlein. I have had 7 vudoos wit bartlein. A few were less than stellar. Would like to get a true mtu in 24 inch chambered by modacam and see how it would shoot

Manufacturer of the barrel is just as important as having a proven SMALLBORE gunsmith to install it properly.

I have an excellent Krieger on my rifle now and just had a Shilen put on my daughter’s rifle. I would not have an issue with a Benchmark or Muller either.

The absolute best barrel I ever had was a Schneider installed by the best gunsmith who ever stepped up to a lathe - Karl Kenyon.

Manufacturer of the barrel is just as important as having a proven SMALLBORE gunsmith to install it properly.

I have an excellent Krieger on my rifle now and just had a Shilen put on my daughter’s rifle. I would not have an issue with a Benchmark or Muller either.

The absolute best barrel I ever had was a Schneider installed by the best gunsmith who ever stepped up to a lathe - Karl Kenyon.
I agree the smith is every bit as important. I shot smallbore with Karl’s son in college and talked to Karl several times later on and I would trust his work regardless of barrel brand. You need to understand the pedigree of the finished product which includes the action, barrel, smith and preparation of the stock. In this it is the proverbial stool.

I really like Benchmark 3G in the last 10 years or so I have not had one bad barrel, and these are different profiles. from straight .900 to heavy reverse tapers. they all have shot to my expectations.
I will say I have only one experience with Shlien and was impressed and none with Muller.

Lee
I have had the same experience with Benchmark. Krieger and Shilen Ratches also have done very well by me. I would not spend my money on a Lilja for what it is worth…

Reactions: RTH1800
A Bartlein barrel is never a mistake.
My two Lilja barrels were very bad.

I'd have to go Shilen. Never had a bad experience nor heard of one from anyone I know.

I'm shooting a Lilja right now and when I can, I'm gonna go custom based on a Shilen tube.