• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who is running the SWFA SS HD 5-20X50.

Moose

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2005
    NJ
    Just curious to know your thoughts on this scope.I have looked at a-lot of reviews and they are mostly positive.

I'm using one on a backup to my backup. It was an outstanding optic 10 years ago - especially if you were part of the initial group buy for $1,000. Based on the options we have today, I think it's competitive with a +/-$700 offering.

I've had this one on a calibrated tracking board, and it tracks 102%. The turrets are on the mushy side and there's a little bit of slop. No zero stop in 2020 is pretty dumb (I know, you can shove stuff into the turret - I mean an actual zero stop). I prefer a locking windage, but that's personal preference. I'm not crazy about the reticle - but again, personal preference.

For the $1,500 retail, I'd take a Gen 2 Razor ($1600), Mark 5 ($1500), Athlon Cronus BTR ($1,300), or some of the Bushnell Elite deals ($750 - $1,200) over the SWFA. The SWFA does have a good track record and good customer service. I just tend to think they need a significant price adjustment and/or needs a face lift to be competitive with current market offerings.

I think when you can find them in the classifieds for $800-$1000 they are an extremely nice scope. Great glass, built solid, and track very reliably. I wouldn’t pay $1500 for one, but love them at $900 in the classifieds.

Last edited:
    I have been ogling them for quite some time but have yet to get my hands on one. I was fond of the ss10×42m I had back in early 00's. I would love to get my hands on one to check out.

I have three. Two were bought at the pre-intro order price and one was bought out of the PX, without illum., for $800.00 NIB. I don't think think there is one currently for sale in the PX. A search of the PX will show a number of sold units from this year which will give you pricing. If the seller is in the $800. range for the non-illum and in high condition it's gone. The same criteria for illum. at $850.-900. and it's gone.

The 5-20 needs a throw lever, parallax assist and zero stop shims for ease of use. Search the scope section for @Tyler Kemp and @TimK . About a $100.00 will get you everything you need. The warranty is life time. For tech advice they have a great guy in Skylar. You get 10mil turrets. The glass is good++. @lowlight uses/used one for a loaner in his classes. They are mechanically acccurate and robust. They sold plenty of them so their track record is known and they have about 30mils of elevation adjustment. The reticle is the one thing that is a question. It is not too fine for 5 and not too coarse for 20. I dial elevation and hold wind and I have not found it to be an issue.

The current crop of scopes available in the $1K range can make the argument that there may be a better place to spend your money. I honestly don't know. And, that is the reason you see so few of them in the PX. They are tried and true like an old friend. No one is perfect and no friend is perfect. The human condition is such that we seek perfection but are disposed towards familiarity and reliability.

Consider that three of the posters have said that they have them and all three still own them. Two of the three have said that they would choose something different in today's market. None the less, one is a backup to a backup and the other is still on a rifle that I am assuming the poster still uses. They seem to agree that in the current market there are options that they would try at the "retail price of the 5-20". So obviously the question becomes who would by one at the regular price? Again I don't know but I still see them as a value at the Black Friday prices and at the demo prices that SWFA occasionally has. Can you sell it for what you payed for it? Not for what you payed for it? Are you going to lose your butt? No. Will it be saleable if you decide to move it on? Yes. If you buy based on the PX pricing you would have to be desperate to lose more than a couple of hundred bucks.

There is still a place for the 5-20 in today's market. If you've never had a scope in over the $5-600.00 dollar range you will see a significant improvement. Second, if the confusion of all the new stuff available leaves you in a quandary then buy the 5-20 and get to shooting. When you get the scope do a tracking test. Put at least a hundred rounds under it and make sure the controls are OK with you and that you can live with the reticle. If you are you reading this thread you know that there are five to ten guys here that are scope geeks. It's either because it is part of their profession or it is their passion. In both cases they know of what they speak. Read everything they have to say and file it away. When the time comes, and it will, to move on to something other than the SWFA you will be well informed and in all likelihood you'll keep your 5-20.......Like the rest of us.

Very good scope, still have mine on a backup rifle, As has been said would not pay full price for one, and used they do not last long for a reason.

ITs pretty on par with something like the 4.5-18 LRHS, only expect super stiff controls on the SWFA. There a lot of jokes about needing vise grips for their parallax knobs and such back in the day. They were about the only kid on the block that was MIL/MIL FFP for less than 2k 10 years ago. When compared to my old Burris XTR's 3-12 and 4-16 that were 1k each, it was an awesome value.

ITs pretty on par with something like the 4.5-18 LRHS, only expect super stiff controls on the SWFA. There a lot of jokes about needing vise grips for their parallax knobs and such back in the day. They were about the only kid on the block that was MIL/MIL FFP for less than 2k 10 years ago. When compared to my old Burris XTR's 3-12 and 4-16 that were 1k each, it was an awesome value.

My 5-20HD is scheduled to go back to SWFA for replacement in December because the parallax and zoom are SO STIFF. Even with Aadland gripper and throw lever it's a fight to move them without both hands and a firm grip. Forget staying on target if they ever need any adjustment.

Edit: Going back in December because SWFA has none currently available.

I think SWFA is having supply issues with this hoax response to COVID. It seems they are trying to break everyone but Walmart and Amazon. With a "second wave" death rate of .06%, 99.2% of cases being mild, and the average age of death being 75, I don't know what else to say about being told we can only work remote to "stop the spread." What did we gain from 7 months of 2 weeks to flatten the curve. A rigged election. :unsure:

I think SWFA is having supply issues with this hoax response to COVID. It seems they are trying to break everyone but Walmart and Amazon. With a "second wave" death rate of .06%, 99.2% of cases being mild, and the average age of death being 75, I don't know what else to say about being told we can only work remote to "stop the spread." What did we gain from 7 months of 2 weeks to flatten the curve. A rigged election. :unsure:
    That's what I've been told by CS since May when I sent back a 12x for repair. I'd take a beat up demo at this point if they could scrounge one up all I've seen at sampllist is a few 3-9 though. Love their SS line!

@Quarter Horse nailed it (post #8), and so far all the other post are supportive of the SWFA quality.

I will state that I actually like the SWFA reticle, and still have one on my FNSPR. The whole line needs a real zero stop, and a small price adjustment, and they would be very competitive because they are rock solid. If you can find one in good shape at $800 you will be happy.

I like mine. It's sitting on a Savage 12FV 6.5 Creed in a XLR Chassis. I'm looking to upgrade a Fixed 12 next year with another one. $800 is a pretty fair Price for them on the PX. Believed I paid just $1040 when I bought it a few Black Fridays ago. So, I'll be avg down my cost on them with the next one. Others are right about the parallax being stiff, just watch tv and keep working it and it will loosen up. Hope the feed back helps, Plus don't forget they hold their value pretty good even the old Fixed Ones. Quoting someone I read here one day " They are harder to find than Tits on a Hen" lol. Good Luck

Last edited:
    Why do you think it is a stupid rreticle? Its a modified and improved mildot reticle.

Go look at the Burris/Steiner SCR reticle and then look back at SWFA's mil-quad reticle. If that doesn't answer the question, I don't know what to tell you.

FWIW, I have a Steiner (4-16X56) and a SWFA (3-15X42), so it's not like I'm basing my judgement from internet pictures.

Scr reticle sucks in my opinion. I would rather have the mil quad as it is much more like a a mildot reticle than just a bunch of lines like the scr.
    Guess shouldn't say sucks, but if I am not doing a Christmas tree I'd prefer a mil quad style or modified mildot.

Last edited:
    for anyone who has had an swfa out for repair just got a great update status that they have a huge shipment coming in early December. I've had a 12 out since May....great news the status has gone from no idea to firm time frame!

That's what I've been told by CS since May when I sent back a 12x for repair. I'd take a beat up demo at this point if they could scrounge one up all I've seen at sampllist is a few 3-9 though. Love their SS line!

With some of the older generations of 1k scopes getting into the 300-400 dollar range. i don't even look for them anymore. I picked up a Weaver Tactical 3-15 the other day for the price of a used SWFA fixed power. Grabbed a 2.5-15 Ares BTR for about the same.

I know SWFA has a cult-like following, and if the OP is set on the 5-20, that's great.

But you might consider that right now you can get the Bushnell 4.5-30x50 XRS 2 for $1,100 from MidwayUSA which has:
    • Actual Revlimiter zero stop
    • Locking windage
    • wider magnification range
    • Better FoV
    • Arguably better (or more contemporary) reticle
    • ED Glass
    • Locking diopter
    • Same amount of internal travel, same eye relief, and about the same length
    • In stock and ready to ship now instead of backordered for weeks or months or longer
    The XRS2 is only a couple ounces heavier (if that even matters). The SWFA parallaxes down to 50 yards, while the XRS2 "only" goes down to 75 yards, which is the only potential area that SWFA slightly edges the Bushnell (obviously dependent on usage of the optic)

Even if SWFA has a black friday sale, you are only paying +/-$100 more for the Bushnell, which includes all the updated features. Not to mention, who knows when the SWFA will be in stock. I don't have a bone to pick with SWFA (like I said, I have one), but there's just better options now in 2020.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Scr reticle sucks in my opinion. I would rather have the mil quad as it is much more like a a mildot reticle than just a bunch of lines like the scr.
    Guess shouldn't say sucks, but if I am not doing a Christmas tree I'd prefer a mil quad style or modified mildot.

The "bunch of lines" makes wind holds far easier than guessing in-between lines and elevation holds easier than a diamond that can almost cover the entire target

To each his own.

To each his own is exactly it. If the reticle accomplishes what you need, it isn't anymore crap than the next one. Some people don't like frosting on their cake. If someone was going to go about making a FFP hunting scope, the Milquad would look pretty good. Some people like a little tiny center dot you cant even see until 12 or 14x, I don't like to use that much magnification.

I don't like christmas tree reticles. I like more open view with fewer lines moving around under recoil.