• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes a decent deck over trailer these days?

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
I’m Looking for a deck over trailer, went down to my local trailer dealer, they didn’t have any DO’s. I took a quick peek under a Big Tex car hauler and the welds were absolute dog shit. $7k trailer and it looks like Stevie wonder went at it with a stick welder. I talked to the sales guy and he said the quality has gone down hill on all the brands they sell.

There’s a few dealers within an hour or two of me, but I don’t want to drive and look at a shitty brand.

So does anybody run any equipment trailers and have good luck with them? Im not looking for anything too crazy 16’ and 10k gvw.

Check out PJ trailers. I had one a couple years ago and it was very solid and had nice features and the fabrication looked good

PJ, Load Trail or Diamond C.

PJ will be cheapest. Load Trail second(pretty close to PJ) and Diamond C will be a decent bit higher, but also have a good amount more features.

They all suck the same. We sell trailers at my work and have dealt with Hillsboro, Load Trail, and now Big Tex. They all just suck. Shit welds, pinched trailer wiring, shit lights, warped decking, etc. Pick one and hope for the best.

Buy used, restore. My motto with trailers. When I bought my race car's trailer, I was told to look for trailers built in the late 90s, early 2000s. Apparently that was a quality hay day. I don't know if that's true but I ended up with a trailer that looks like it was built for war so... yeah.

That said, it's worth it to get aluminum IMHO.

Find a welding fab shop that isn't busy

There is a local guy who builds trailers. They are built pretty much to the same spec as a PJ(same axles, tongue, 5" channel, etc...) for about 1k bucks less. My issue is resale value. If I decide I want a bigger trailer, different, no longer have use for a trailer, the no-name trailer isnt going to be worth shit compared to a PJ, Load Trail, Diamond C, etc... Doesnt make it a bad trailer, just one data point to think about. I got a buddy who buys no-name trailers when he needs a trailer. He doesnt care and he is aware that they arent worth as much when he resells them.
That said, it's worth it to get aluminum IMHO.

A LOT of the current aluminum trailers all have the same "reviews"... "cracked welds"

If you can find a East Texas Trailer dealer in your area, that’s who I buy from. Small shop in Petty Tx, but they build solid trailers. The majority of trailers sold in the southern US, and maybe all of it, are made in about a 50 square mile area in Lamar County Tx ( just outside of Paris). The same families work for the same 5 or 6 big companies. A few years ago INS showed up out there with busses and hauled off a bunch of people. Cheap steel, cheap labor and expensive trailers.

Reactions: JMGlasgow
There is a local guy who builds trailers. They are built pretty much to the same spec as a PJ(same axles, tongue, 5" channel, etc...) for about 1k bucks less. My issue is resale value. If I decide I want a bigger trailer, different, no longer have use for a trailer, the no-name trailer isnt going to be worth shit compared to a PJ, Load Trail, Diamond C, etc... Doesnt make it a bad trailer, just one data point to think about. I got a buddy who buys no-name trailers when he needs a trailer. He doesnt care and he is aware that they arent worth as much when he resells them.

A LOT of the current aluminum trailers all have the same "reviews"... "cracked welds"
As long as that trailer is built well and the welds looked like someone knew what they were doing, I would think it would be worth more than some shit box that a 10 dollar an hour slave could put out, regardless of the name brand.
When I built trailers I got the axles, springs, hangers, lights, couplers from redneck trailers.
Yes, a funny name but they are big suppliers that may be in your area and had nothing but the best parts for a real savings.
Buy all your parts and take it to a good welder, you will be overly pleased.

I started with a new PJ 5X8. Had them cut off the coupler and weld in a receiver. (they gave me the strangest looks) Took the Dexter axle, hubs, wheels, and hangers off. Fabricated a 5.4 channel sub frame, mounted a couple of 3,500 lb Timbren suspension units with 4" lift. Added trailer brakes, 16" wheels running 235/70/16 off road LT tires, and built a new 7 wire harness. The deck sits at 30" with 22" of ground clearance. (That's a two foot step ladder to get in)

Attachments

• Trailer_Sawmill_2022_0225.jpg
    Trailer_Sawmill_2022_0225.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 161
Check out PJ trailers. I had one a couple years ago and it was very solid and had nice features and the fabrication looked good

Depends on which plant. I've seen PJ's that were perfect, and I've seen them where you wondered how it lasted all the way to the dealer without falling apart.

All trailer lines are crap. I will say our diamond C trailers are a good bit lighter than our titan trailers with the exact same weight ratings which allows for more cargo. Difference in making a second trip for the auger and forks or just loading them on with the skid steer. I like to run that 25500 range loaded though.

You really have to inspect the specific trailer you're buying. Then go ahead and rewire it.

If you are in eastern Washington, northern Idaho or Western Montana, Fox Trailers does nice work.

I have a 2015 tandem axel, 9,900 lb, 20 foot equipment trailer for my tractor and sports car, zero issues with it, ever. I've owned it since new.

In my research for a utility trailer led me to H&H. I'd recommend based on what I got. But it's been a few years.

I ended up buying an 18' Aluminum deck-over by Aluma, model A8818.

It's designed as an ATV/UTV trailer, but is perfect for hauling construction supplies.

GVWR is ~ 7700 if I recall correctly? Weighs 1100, so I can easily pick up the tongue, and move it by myself.

My only complaint is the ramps are a rattle trap. Wish the tires/wheels were 15", but so far the 14" size hasn't caused any issues.

IMG_20210626_120237584_HDR.jpg

Second picture is with 6400-lbs of 2x8's

IMG_20220127_164025874_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Reach out to Big Bubba trailers in Utah. He'll custom make whatever you want for a reasonable price m had a deck over made, 30' on top. Turned out great

I ended up buying an 18' Aluminum deck-over by Aluma, model A8818.

It's designed as an ATV/UTV trailer, but is perfect for hauling construction supplies.

GVWR is ~ 7700 if I recall correctly? Weighs 1100, so I can easily pick up the tongue, and move it by myself.

My only complaint is the ramps are a rattle trap. Wish the tires/wheels were 15", but so far the 14" size hasn't caused any issues.

View attachment 7815873

Second picture is with 6400-lbs of 2x8's

View attachment 7815883
I've had several trailers w/ the 14" wheels and no issues. BUT, I'll ALWAYS go bigger if I have the option. I just cringe thinking about those bearings spinning at 80mph. :p

Reactions: waveslayer
Here in Michigan we have a hell of a time with the "powder coat" peeling off in big sheets after a little rust forms. I would prefer a trailer that is painted vs the crap they call powder coat. At least is can easily be repainted if it starts looking shitty

Here in Michigan we have a hell of a time with the "powder coat" peeling off in big sheets after a little rust forms. I would prefer a trailer that is painted vs the crap they call powder coat. At least is can easily be repainted if it starts looking shitty
It isn't only in Michigan where it happens. The manufacturer isn't prepping and cleaning the steel before it goes to powder coat. I see the same thing happening here quite often. Powder coat is a very durable product when it's applied correctly.

It isn't only in Michigan where it happens. The manufacturer isn't prepping and cleaning the steel before it goes to powder coat. I see the same thing happening here quite often. Powder coat is a very durable product when it's applied correctly.
They don't blast the mill scale off enough, cheapy cheapy

I have a couple Big Tex and PJ. All have been good trailers. Try to find a used Trailmaster…. They aren’t in business anymore I don’t think, but they built prolly the nicest trailer I’ve seen.

Interesting. I always blamed the rust on the pealing. But maybe the shitty application it allowing the rust after it peels off.

The rust was never cleaned off before it was coated. I've seen brand new trailers with rust spots showing through and powder coat flaking off in sheets. I've had to repair powder coat on trailers fresh off the delivery truck under warranty

My late 90s PJ 20’ deck over GN is built like a brick shit house. Super stout, quiet, all you can ask for in a trailer. Paid under $3k for it

Being that I’m capable of building my own though, I’d sooner build my own now than buy a new one. These new trailers are all giant piles of shit which is good for me because I’m fixing them constantly for good $

Built this little guy when I needed a temporary weld rig when my truck was down.

33A07BEC-8E73-4DCF-B8E6-7F381059B001.jpeg

Reactions: Stevo86
The bearings on the axle connected to hub connected to a 14" wheel. Smaller diameter = more revolutions. More revolutions = more heat. More heat = possible failure.
The tire is the determining factor. Equal size tire, same revolutions.

We have a handful of Maxey trailers and a couple PJ's. All range from early 2000's up to one that's about a year old. The latest trailers are Maxey. Everything has been really good on them. Comparing the new Maxey to one of the older ones just like it, they have improved on some of the things that bothered me on the old one .

About 3 years ago we bought a 23' Appalachian 15k gvwr gooseneck with a 4ft dovetail from their lot in Manheim, PA for about $5k. We take a skid steer and a stone picker out to the track at Mahoning, OH at least twice a year behind a 2000 F350 7.3l dually. That rig runs like a champ.
vmatxsls06_1129742001546-1-IMG_2270.jpg

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I've been keeping an eye on the whole Tesla Semi situation, too. It's a bit of a bummer that they're not rolling out this year. I'm really curious about how the US is going to adapt to alternative fuels for trucks, especially with LNG and CNG. It feels like we're a bit behind compared to China and Europe. I guess it's partly because the infrastructure here isn't quite there yet.

I looked at your articles on SeekingAlpha – you've really dived deep into the whole methane and biomethane angle. It's an eye-opener, honestly.

On a personal note, I've been exploring more sustainable options for my business's transport needs. Recently, I came across this site about heavy-duty trailer sales that are more environmentally conscious. It was pretty enlightening to see the advancements in this area.

Last edited: