• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes a good Buffer that is In stock?

Smith97z71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2012
NW Ohio
Mainly an H2. Have a CAR buffer for my Grendel on an 18 inch setup and notice a little bit of recoil. Have read multiple times to switch out to an H2 with this setup. I have heard good things about the Spikes units due to being loaded wiht powder for weight. Sounds like it would be similiar to a Dead Blow hammer. Last I looked they were out of stock I thought. Also with that thought would I be better to step up to a heavier unit or will and H2 equivalent be good.

Thanks

An H2 will be the perfect weight for a 6.5 Grendel. I'd steer clear of the Spikes unit. It's not a true H2 and there is a reason they use powdered tungsten carbide instead of traditional weights. The Bravo company buffer is GTG.

An H2 will be the perfect weight for a 6.5 Grendel. I'd steer clear of the Spikes unit. It's not a true H2 and there is a reason they use powdered tungsten carbide instead of traditional weights. The Bravo company buffer is GTG.

The Spike's ST-T2 buffer, while not a traditional H2 by a stretch, is an excellent buffer in all respects. As for comparative weights...an average H2 weighs ~4.6oz while the ST-T2 comes in at ~4.3oz. The reason they went with HD tungsten powder versus the traditional sliding weights was simple...it is quieter than a standard H2 and can, depending on your overall setup, reduce perceived recoil as it eliminates additional reciprocating weights/mass that your avg AR buffer has. I have run them successfully in multiple carbine builds and they function/perform flawlessly if their weight meets your overall requirements (which it may or may not in your case as they are slightly lighter than a spec H2 buffer).

Here's a a couple ST-T2 in stock now:

ST-T2 Heavy Buffer (by Spikes Tactical)

Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer

Here are a couple H2 sources:

H2 Carbine Buffer

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=119

Carbine Buffer H2 Heavy Buffer

Good luck!

As ORD has stated, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ST-2 from Spikes. They function flawlessly in plenty of guns, though they are certainly not needed. If you are annoyed by the sound of the weights, especially on a suppressed SBR, then they really can smooth the rifle out a bit and reduce that annoying slapping sound of the weights. (Yes, I already know that an adjustable gas block can help with this too, so don't go start pissing matches)

That being said, a standard H2 buffer would fit your requirements nicely and ORD has posted you some great options.

Last edited:

+1 on the Slash Heavy buffers. Use on in my AR-10 with collapsible but stock and it really helps with felt recoil.

Not sure why the Spikes Tactical buffer was poo poo'd above. I don't have one but have heard nothing but excellent reports about how well they work. I'd be interested to hear more about why to "steer clear" of them.